Lack of service from an insurance company -- what to do?

roger1999

I am based in Chiang Mai. I have had medical coverage from the same company since 2009. In that time, I have paid them roughly 350,000 baht. In the last 12 months I had a medical condition costing about 70,000 baht and the insurance company paid for that. Good for them.

I am currently in the USA. My coverage is not in affect in this location. Knowing that, I purchased 150,0000 baht worth of travel/medical coverage from the same company. This cost me next to nothing. Maybe 2-3,000 baht.

I now have a medical issue (in the USA) and the insurance company and my insurance agent are not responding to emails.

Five minutes ago I called my insurance agent and told her she has 1 hour to get back to me with official notification that my visit to an emergency room will be covered.

Truth be told, I have no idea if my travel policy covers this. I simply want an answer and hopefully I will get it in 55 minutes. I am not hopeful.

Ok not to destroy your hopes but you called at 19:00pm Thai time.

You will not be getting an answer anytime soon.

Try making contact during business hours wink.png

I first emailed them 36 hours ago. No response. At the same time I contacted my agent via SMS, email, and a Facebook message. Getting no response from anyone I called my agent roughly 40 minutes ago.

You've made it 36 hours...why go to the ER? Generally, the number you call for pre-certification is different than your agent.

Bangmai, I am in the USA. Please re-read my post and help if you can. It is entirely possible that I have had a stroke. I don't think so, but maybe. FYI -- I have no coverage in the US outside of the policy I purchased in Chiang Mai. From a British company with offices in Thailand.

If through AIA, BUPA or AXA, they all have fairly large offices here and should be easy to contact.

I would think so as well. Not in this case. I spoke to my agent roughly 1 hour ago. She mentioned that the insurance company was closed yesterday. Any insights on that would be helpful.

They can't turn you away at US Hospitals...if you don't own a home there, they can just ruin your credit. 150,00 THB or 4500 usd will not go far at a US ER. You might be able to get insurance at the government marketplace, and they can't deny you for a pre-existing condition. You would have to pay before you would be covered, and the deductibles I've seen are about 3500 USD. You at least need a friend or family member to stay with you/keep an eye on you. If there is no one to do that, consider some place where you can chill and not be alone, like the race track.

http://www.webmd.com/stroke/silent-stroke-you-need-to-know

The registration/reception area of a hospital should be able to confirm your coverage and make arrangements. You must have some kind of written policy or ID card. Google the company, and make educated guesses, where to call. "pre-certification XYZ Company emergency toll free number." Good luck.

If through AIA, BUPA or AXA, they all have fairly large offices here and should be easy to contact.

I would think so as well. Not in this case. I spoke to my agent roughly 1 hour ago. She mentioned that the insurance company was closed yesterday. Any insights on that would be helpful.

Roger, yesterday was a bank holiday, and may very well have applied to other types of financial institutions. Business as usual, today and tomorrow.

AIA was open yesterday as I called them about renewing an existing policy.

There is also an online log in page to contact them about policies.

US and Canada is usually excluded in local insurance plans. You need to pay an extra premium for that. Having said that I don't know your insurance. Local coverage is anyway very limited and 1mTHB at best. Not worth to pay for such insurance.

yes, july thai bank holiday

Edited by HooHaa

What use is a travel insurance policy without the 24h emergency assistance number. This is normally operated by a specialst third party company on behalf of the insurer. Does your policy have this service? Can it be googled?

You would expect the agent to be able to get this sorted quickly? Try contacting the british insurer direct and see if they can get things moving. My only experience with travel insurance is from the UK but they always have the 24h assistance number. Travel insurance for 2000-3000 baht premium for the USA( the most expensive destination for travel insurance) sounds quite low or its a very short trip.

Are you daft? Purchasing a mere 150,0000 baht worth of travel/medical coverage in the US might cover a few stitches in an emergency room visit, but not much else.

Wrong. I have already seen a nurse practitioner at Walgreens (cost was $0.) She assured me that a sonogram on my arm (her suggested next step) would cost far less than $5,000.

Finally I heard back from the Thai branch of the UK insurance company. Their response: Go to the doctor, pay him, show us the paperwork when you get back to Thailand and then we will decide if we can reimburse you.

I guess I am changing my insurance company soon.

What use is a travel insurance policy without the 24h emergency assistance number. This is normally operated by a specialst third party company on behalf of the insurer. Does your policy have this service? Can it be googled?

You would expect the agent to be able to get this sorted quickly? Try contacting the british insurer direct and see if they can get things moving. My only experience with travel insurance is from the UK but they always have the 24h assistance number. Travel insurance for 2000-3000 baht premium for the USA( the most expensive destination for travel insurance) sounds quite low or its a very short trip.

Helpful. Thanks. I called their UK Headquarters and was told that the line was only for UK policy holders. I was then put on hold for a while when the email arrived from the Thai branch.

Are you daft? Purchasing a mere 150,0000 baht worth of travel/medical coverage in the US might cover a few stitches in an emergency room visit, but not much else.

i just paid a dentist bill for a filling for my kid in the US 800 usd.

cant imagine the cost of real healthcare.

thank heaven for that nurse at walgreens sounds like you are sorted mate.

Edited by HooHaa

FYI - a friend living in Washington D.C. went to the emergency room last night at 7:19 PM. He was checked into a room at 4:00 AM. Possibly he got some service before that, but the system appears to be broken. At least in big cities. My friend has great coverage via his employer.

Wrong. I have already seen a nurse practitioner at Walgreens (cost was $0.) She assured me that a sonogram on my arm (her suggested next step) would cost far less than $5,000.

CVS tried charging me 90 usd for a TB test, and was not willing to sign Embassy form for visa. I got the whole thing taken care of for 55 usd by a Lebanese doctor in DC.

"I am currently in the USA. My coverage is not in affect in this location. Knowing that, I purchased 150,0000 baht worth of travel/medical coverage from the same company. This cost me next to nothing. Maybe 2-3,000 baht."

Roger I'm not taking a shot at you but seriously... you didn't do your homework very carefully! $5K USD emergency travel insurance while in the USA???

On a recent trip to the USA I paid a fraction of "2-3,000 baht" and got USD $150,000.00 in emergency medical coverage. For a little more I could have gotten full coverage (actual cost) and USD $4.5 million in liability insurance. 1st plan is a USA company (I think), 2nd plan French company.

PM me and I'll send you the brochures and the contact for my broker.

I hope things go well for you. What city and state are you in?

"I am currently in the USA. My coverage is not in affect in this location. Knowing that, I purchased 150,0000 baht worth of travel/medical coverage from the same company. This cost me next to nothing. Maybe 2-3,000 baht."

Roger I'm not taking a shot at you but seriously... you didn't do your homework very carefully! $5K USD emergency travel insurance while in the USA???

On a recent trip to the USA I paid a fraction of "2-3,000 baht" and got USD $150,000.00 in emergency medical coverage. For a little more I could have gotten full coverage (actual cost) and USD $4.5 million in liability insurance. 1st plan is a USA company (I think), 2nd plan French company.

PM me and I'll send you the brochures and the contact for my broker.

I hope things go well for you. What city and state are you in?

PM sent. Thanks.

Finally I heard back from the Thai branch of the UK insurance company. Their response: Go to the doctor, pay him, show us the paperwork when you get back to Thailand and then we will decide if we can reimburse you.

I guess I am changing my insurance company soon.

I don't think that type of response is too unusual.

And since you only have coverage up to a maximum of under $5000 (it could well be categorised to be worth less......) that would seem to be sensible.

You need more coverage for the USA.