Who 'owns' the Work Permit

Facts:

* I've lived and worked in Thailand for over 11 years, with Work Permit (same firm for the whole time).

* Having reached the advanced age of 60 years, a mutually agreed retirement date has been agreed with my employer

* I have PR status so have no problem with the cancellation of the WP.

* Also all is OK thusfare re Severance pay, so no issue at the moment.

My question relates to who actually 'owns' the Work Permit.

I thought I should retain it (after its cancellation - including for reasons if I wanted re-employment - which I don't).

My HR folks say that the Labour Department will retain the WP Book.

Appreciate knowledgeable comments & advice

Edited by dinga

Nowadays you keep the work permit, you no longer have to return it.

It is just a souvenir, you won't be able to use it for anything. Your details are in the labour ministry computer and will be checked against that if you ever want to work again, not against the old work permit itself.

Just like a passport is owned by the respective country's issuing authority, a Thai work permit is officially owned by the Labor Department. However, as someone noted, it is no longer compulsory to return it once it's expired or employment has terminated. You can indeed keep it as a souvenir.

Even though my WP "expired" in 2010, I used it last year for proof of residence to renew my 5 year DL rather than get a residence cert from immigration. My office charges 500 baht for the cert and it is a 200 kilometer trip to get it. Not sure if all DLT offices will accept it but mine in Takhli did.

• Like 1