Can't trust anyone - not even Kiwis.

Saan

By the way, Makro have 1kg boxes of NZ Greenshell Mussels, usually priced from ~200 bt and they are excellent when grilled with a topping of your choice and served with a salad.

Kiwi mussel farming is well managed and waters are pristine. Recipes HERE.

Apparently very good for you healthwise but give me the black mussels any day. The green lips have the same consistency as rubber.

But you have started a craving for black mussels in a tomato, white wine and garlic broth and crusty bread to mop up. Aloi.

The Chiefs werent too good this season.....but by the same token the Crusaders left their run too late. The Mako`s are making big in roads every season and a lot of their players are pulled into the Crusaders franchise as well.

Im looking forward to July 4th, and its not because of American Independance day. Super Rugby grand final..... I hope the boys from the South (Highlanders) pull it off but my heart says the Hurricanes will probably take the title. Either way I hope its a good game.

As to food in the freezer, just reminded me to do a big defrost and get rid of old freezer burnt produce. GF always buys too much and then forgets about it. Might be interesting to see all the country of origin labels.

No wonder the All Blacks are so good. The whole country is so bloody focused on rugby that they can turn a thread on dodgy veggies into a rugby preview.

Not only veg/fruit coming from China using another countries bar codes names etc.

Recently we bought a hot water jug (kettle).

We buy reputable brands. On the box SHARP ok good brand.

Took it out of the box, looked underneath made in China, but outside it said made in Thailand.

Most big companies are pulling that trick these days.

It's an old trick mate. The BOX was made in Thailand!

Those inscrutable Kiwis. Those teeming black clad hordes from the Land of the Long White Cloud want to take over the world. Starting with the WRC, in their Chinese made rugger boots.

Just as an aside.....there are those Kiwis who have been heard to refer to their country as,

'The Land of the Wrong White Crowd'....

Not me ,of course.....I would never NEVER ever say anything like that !!!!

The OP sounds confusing to me. If produce was bought from china and rehashed in N.Z, or somewhere else, how would it be sold with a chinese bar code?

Nothing suprises me any more. I bought a red apple wrapped in plastic from family mart, tossed it in the fridge and forgot about it. About 3 weeks later the gf found it and cut it up. I would have expected it soft,horrible and bruised but no, perfectly ok.

That suggests to me something has been tampered with. Poisons? I dont know.

I guess its hard to tell what is the genuine nature of fruit unless you pick it off your own tree yourself.

You cannot buy a good apple from supermarkets in Australia, (excepting Tasmania) even when in season, as they are transported long distances and kept in "cold storage" for months.

I guess at least you know they are not poisoned as they are usually soft with a stale taste

Motueka and the smokehouse .... Oh dear, think a trip back is in order!

AFAIK, Talley's peas are NZ grown but mixed vegetables may contain imported product such as baby corn. Heinz Watties and Birdseye a different story.

And when Talleys had their own fish and chip shop, which was next to the Wheelhouse restaurant I always looked forward to Friday nights meal of fish & chips. Fried in lard/fat and served rolled up in newsprint within a brown paper bag. Naturally we always ripped a corner off the package and sprinkled/poured in the malt vinegar.

Fond memories but time stands still for no man. Havent been back for over 5 years and even then the town had changed. The Black Swan pub is no more and trying to find good fish and chips is a task, although the produce is good no one uses lard anymore. Something about being health conscious ended up with a rather bland flavour (IMO).

Not too sure on the other brands and there work ethics, funnily enough Watties use to be Goodman Fielder Watties. The Goodman family began in Mot too. I went to school with the kids from the 2 Goodman families. In 92 Watties was divested to Heinz.

Both Talleys and Goodmans are very wealthy families and have invested in their local community. Pat Goodman recieved a knighthood in 1995 for his service to the community and the business world. A very nice man and humble with it, a trait that he passed onto his children. Unfortunately Pat lost his wife Hillary in a car accident in the Southern Highlands (South of Sydney) in 2014.

Peter Talley continues with his business empire and it is a very family orientated business....some say a bit cut throat, especially those that have ever had the misfortune of going up against the family/empire.

Ok..... Ive wandered enough from the OP. My Talleys peas still taste great and Im more than happy with them. Its a pity some shops dont look after their products, to ensure we get them in the condition the manufacturer wanted. Stock rotation and storage are essential in that regard.

You may not be aware CMKiwi of Peter also being Knighted earlier this year.

Not only veg/fruit coming from China using another countries bar codes names etc.

Recently we bought a hot water jug (kettle).

We buy reputable brands. On the box SHARP ok good brand.

Took it out of the box, looked underneath made in China, but outside it said made in Thailand.

Most big companies are pulling that trick these days.

Be happy it was made in China, because if it was made in Thailand it would probably fall apart when taking it out of the box, and if it was made in Japan it would not be affordable.

haha you got that right. I bought one of those cheap made in Thailand jugs. After 2 months the thing nearly caught on fire. Burning rubber smell.

pulled it apart to find the insulation on the wires (very poorly) soldered to the element had melted.

As you said, the Japanese Hanabishi brand is ok. One of those red cooker things with steamer i got here has lasted years.

It seems the only thing Thais can make that lasts the test of time is the plastic they wrap the stuff in.

Id wager cockroaches will be making their houses out of Thai plastic long after nuclear bombs have knocked us off :0)

I can still remember the beautiful aroma that permeated my house in Melbourne after I bought a bucket load of peaches from the grower at a farmer's market. It was pure nostalgia. I had forgotten fruit had these wonderful aromas. The taste was beyond description, another lost memory.

Cool rooms and freezers might stop fruit and veggies from rotting but they extract all the lovely goodies we remember from our childhood - such as taste and smell.

hmm you have already forgotten the Melamine milk scandal/deaths from kiwi origin company

2008 Chinese milk scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't want to let a good story get in the way of facts, but the scandal was not from a "Kiwi origin company" it was in fact from SanLu a Chinese company in which Fonterra (the Kiwi dairy company) had bought a 43% shareholding a couple of years prior to the scandal.

Melamine was added either by the farmers at the farm gate or by SanLu themselves and it was nothing whatsoever to do with Kiwis. In fact the only criticism levelled at Fonterra was that they did not act quickly enough when information on this practice was "leaked" to them, yet they were reassured by Sanlu that all was okay when they initially investigated.

In fact Fonterra has been quick to act when any potential signs of contamination in their products have occurred, and one just recently cost many millions of dollars and proved to be a false alarm, but they wanted to be on the safe side.

I would trust Kiwi products over products from just about anywhere else in the world.

hmm you have already forgotten the Melamine milk scandal/deaths from kiwi origin company

Don't want to let a good story get in the way of facts, but the scandal was not from a "Kiwi origin company" it was in fact from SanLu a Chinese company in which Fonterra (the Kiwi dairy company) had bought a 43% shareholding a couple of years prior to the scandal.

Melamine was added either by the farmers at the farm gate or by SanLu themselves and it was nothing whatsoever to do with Kiwis. In fact the only criticism levelled at Fonterra was that they did not act quickly enough when information on this practice was "leaked" to them, yet they were reassured by Sanlu that all was okay when they initially investigated.

In fact Fonterra has been quick to act when any potential signs of contamination in their products have occurred, and one just recently cost many millions of dollars and proved to be a false alarm, but they wanted to be on the safe side.

I would trust Kiwi products over products from just about anywhere else in the world.

No problems with Kiwi produce it is the labelling of products not grown in NZ so it appears that they are from there.

No problems with Kiwi produce it is the labelling of products not grown in NZ so it appears that they are from there.

Yes, that is a little disconcerting, however according to another poster the labelling will show the difference?

It also has to be remembered that two of the companies mentioned are not Kiwi companies (Coles and Woolworths) and I would be pretty well be sure that the policy would be controlled from the head office.

Ok I fell for it, checked a tub of ice cream in the fridge. bar code starts with 366. No such number on any listings, even though it says made in Cork, Ireland.whistling.gif

Irish ice cream, aloi. Bet it's creamy.

This is where it can get more confusing. Some time the number just designate what the product is. I had an apple and the barcode seemed to show it coming from Germany - unlikely. Further investigation showed it was designating that the apple was a gala royal.

The barcoding is not meant to clear to customers. How can you fool them if it is.