Can't trust anyone - not even Kiwis.

Saan

As I bit into my 'healthy' apple I was happy in the knowledge that, although I paid extra for it at Tesco Lotus it was safe. It had on it none of those nasty products that many SEA countries spray on their crops. It was marked Produce of New Zealand. But was I wrong? Was the apple I was eating a 'black hearted' piece of fruit from China. Why were my suspicions aroused?

Because New Zealand has been buying food products from China and selling it as Produce of New Zealand.

So where was my apple from China, Taiwan, maybe?

Read this report -

"A week or so ago, A Current Affair in Australia did a Report on frozen vegetables imported from New Zealand. As it turns out if it is a Coles or Woollworth home brand there is a more than good chance that the product has come from China. Products made by McCain’s, Birdseye and other supposed reputable companies from New Zealand are now purchasing products from China and selling that product under their name.

Basically check where it is produced by the comments on the back of the pack and if it says Produce from New Zealand and Imported Product it has Chinese vegies in itI suppose to play it safe unless it has been grown and packed in Australia stay away from it unless you don’t mind digesting poisons.

Pretty scary stuff!!

But you canlearn from BARCODES

Remember.......the Australian barcode prefix is 93

Other world countries are scared of China making 'black hearted goods’, but can you differentiate which one is made in Australia, the USA, The Philippines, Taiwan or China? For your Information ... The first 3 digits of the barcode is the country code where-in the product was made. Example: all barcodes that start with 690 through to 699 are all MADE IN CHINA.

471 is Made in Taiwan .

Thailand's prefix is 885.
Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products 'Made in China', so they don't show from which country it is made. However, you may now refer to the barcode. Remember, if the first 3 digits are 690 through to 695, then it is Made in China. Don't forget, Hong Kong is now China, too.

Here are some of barcodes for other countries.

00 ~ 13 USA and CANADA
30 ~ 37 FRANCE
40 ~ 44 GERMANY
49 ~ JAPAN
50 ~ UK
57 ~ DENMARK
64 ~ FINLAND
76 ~ SWITZERLAND and LIECHTENSTEIN
93 ~ AUSTRALIA
628 ~ SAUDI ARABIA
629 ~ UNITED ARAB EMIRATESs
740-745 ~ CENTRAL AMERICA
All 480 Codes are Made in THE PHILIPPINES..

Watch out when you buy 'HIGHLINER' fish products; all come from China, even though the box says 'Product of Canada', it is from China and 'processed' in Canada, that is, only the coating is added and packaged in Canada. The fish are raised in pens using chemicals that are banned in Canada as cancer-causing but legal in China. This was exposed on CBC TV's Marketplace."

I have the same feelings about food produced in China. I stick to Kiwi frozen mixed vegies, apples and so on, but I'll certainly be checking the labels as suggested.

But it's not only our neighbours; A report last week on Aussie TV showed that about 70% of pork products sold in Australian supermarkets are imported. Sure, the bacon or sausages might be produced in Australia, but the little piggie is imported from Denmark and other countries.

Not a problem in Thailand of course, as the pork is excellent and produced here.

My frozen salmon tails from MAKRO begin with 885. Does that mean the salmon is Thai?

Could it be that the OP is just another one that fell for a internet hoax?

Not according to Snopes.Com. the urban myth busters.

Edited by Saan

My frozen salmon tails from MAKRO begin with 885. Does that mean the salmon is Thai?

So they catch salmon in Thailand these days?

I'm pretty sure that the "country code" start of the bar code is just where the product is sold, not were it was made. I have a meat grinder that has a bar code on the box that starts with '57' (Denmark), and I'm pretty sure that such a product would not be produced in Denmark. In fact, it says on the box that it's "made in China".

Sophon

Packaged in Thailand

Packaged in Thailand

Of course, but the OP fell for the hoax that want us to believe that the first digits stand for the country of origin.

It may be true that many Chinese vegetables are repackaged in NZ (often by multinational companies) and exported as product of NZ. Not so with apples and fruit that is specifically labeled as 'Zespri' or 'New Zealand grown'.

I find the Talley's products sold here are old or suffering frost-bite through thawing/refreezing ... would be good to find good quality frozen product, especially peas and broad beans.

You need to read the pack very carefully. Talleys Garden Peas say many nice things about not using harmful chemicals/ GMO etc but they are not grown in NZ. Same for Talleys Logan Farm Spinach, But Talleys Broad Beans are NZ grown. Caveat Emptor.

You need to read the pack very carefully. Talleys Garden Peas say many nice things about not using harmful chemicals/ GMO etc but they are not grown in NZ. Same for Talleys Logan Farm Spinach, But Talleys Broad Beans are NZ grown. Caveat Emptor.

As in, it can't be good if it isn't grown in NZ?

Not only veg/fruit coming from China using another countries bar codes names etc.

Recently we bought a hot water jug (kettle).

We buy reputable brands. On the box SHARP ok good brand.

Took it out of the box, looked underneath made in China, but outside it said made in Thailand.

Most big companies are pulling that trick these days.

Not only veg/fruit coming from China using another countries bar codes names etc.

Took it out of the box, looked underneath made in China, but outside it said made in Thailand.

Be happy it was made in China, because if it was made in Thailand it would probably fall apart when taking it out of the box, and if it was made in Japan it would not be affordable.

Was the box made in Thailand? wink.png

This article HERE tells the NZ story.

By the way, Makro have 1kg boxes of NZ Greenshell Mussels, usually priced from ~200 bt and they are excellent when grilled with a topping of your choice and served with a salad.

Kiwi mussel farming is well managed and waters are pristine. Recipes HERE.

Great to read this you can find THE country codes here

http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fp121.htm

Also there are Nice apps for your phone to download to read THE codes

Sample

What is in this stuff

Country checker

Aport

Code checker

From that link:

"The first 2 (sometimes 3) digits, which are called the “flag”, indicate in what country the bar code was issued. This “flag” does not tell you, however, in what country the product was produced."

By the way, Makro have 1kg boxes of NZ Greenshell Mussels, usually priced from ~200 bt and they are excellent when grilled with a topping of your choice and served with a salad.

Kiwi mussel farming is well managed and waters are pristine. Recipes HERE.

Yes the green lip or green shell mussels are fantastic, I like to put them under the grill with some grated cheddar cheese on top. When thats done then top each one off with a tomato, onion and chillie type relish/salad. Probably one of the few things that reminds me of home.

Im surprised and interested to hear that there peas are not NZ grown, when I was a kid they were as we used to have great fun pulling vines off the back of trucks while we were waiting for the school bus. Luckily where we waited there was a bridge across a river but to get to the bridge there was a slight rise/hill. Therefore the trucks had to slow down....much to our advantage! My father also used to driver a pea viner in the peak of the season.

Talleys home town is a small place called Motueka, which is at the top of the South Island. Possibly the best weather in New Zealand and with everything outdoors within arms reach. I do miss the place but not the way the NZ government applies its tax laws, hence Thailand is now my home.

But I will do some research on this revelation...... I used to trust Talleys as a reputable brand, now Im a bit annoyed. Too much greed in the corporate sector???

Edited by CMKiwi

Brommers, who or what is your source for this information? I have checked both a packet of peas in my freezer and gone to the Talleys website. Neither state or say that they use imported vegetables. Quite the opposite.

Im intrigued to learn your source of such allegations, naturally being a kiwi Im biased to believe in what Talleys are advertising.

Motueka and the smokehouse .... Oh dear, think a trip back is in order!

AFAIK, Talley's peas are NZ grown but mixed vegetables may contain imported product such as baby corn. Heinz Watties and Birdseye a different story.

If you read the packs you will see that the Broad Beans have a panel stating 100 percent New Zealand grown. The other products have no such statement and merely say produced and packed by Talleys-product of New Zealand. Under the GS1 regulations the statement "product of" is to be applied to products made from items sourced in other countries. The NZ bar code is only related to the registered office of the company and in no way relates to the countries of origin of the contents of the pack.

All American icon Apple in fact is selling Chinese made products. British icon brand HP Sauce is made in Belgium. I could go on. New Zealand icon Fonterra makes products in China. We live in global times where companies have production in many countries but still retain a tie to their original home base.

Motueka and the smokehouse .... Oh dear, think a trip back is in order!

AFAIK, Talley's peas are NZ grown but mixed vegetables may contain imported product such as baby corn. Heinz Watties and Birdseye a different story.

And when Talleys had their own fish and chip shop, which was next to the Wheelhouse restaurant I always looked forward to Friday nights meal of fish & chips. Fried in lard/fat and served rolled up in newsprint within a brown paper bag. Naturally we always ripped a corner off the package and sprinkled/poured in the malt vinegar.

Fond memories but time stands still for no man. Havent been back for over 5 years and even then the town had changed. The Black Swan pub is no more and trying to find good fish and chips is a task, although the produce is good no one uses lard anymore. Something about being health conscious ended up with a rather bland flavour (IMO).

Not too sure on the other brands and there work ethics, funnily enough Watties use to be Goodman Fielder Watties. The Goodman family began in Mot too. I went to school with the kids from the 2 Goodman families. In 92 Watties was divested to Heinz.

Both Talleys and Goodmans are very wealthy families and have invested in their local community. Pat Goodman recieved a knighthood in 1995 for his service to the community and the business world. A very nice man and humble with it, a trait that he passed onto his children. Unfortunately Pat lost his wife Hillary in a car accident in the Southern Highlands (South of Sydney) in 2014.

Peter Talley continues with his business empire and it is a very family orientated business....some say a bit cut throat, especially those that have ever had the misfortune of going up against the family/empire.

Ok..... Ive wandered enough from the OP. My Talleys peas still taste great and Im more than happy with them. Its a pity some shops dont look after their products, to ensure we get them in the condition the manufacturer wanted. Stock rotation and storage are essential in that regard.

If you read the packs you will see that the Broad Beans have a panel stating 100 percent New Zealand grown. The other products have no such statement and merely say produced and packed by Talleys-product of New Zealand. Under the GS1 regulations the statement "product of" is to be applied to products made from items sourced in other countries. The NZ bar code is only related to the registered office of the company and in no way relates to the countries of origin of the contents of the pack.

All American icon Apple in fact is selling Chinese made products. British icon brand HP Sauce is made in Belgium. I could go on. New Zealand icon Fonterra makes products in China. We live in global times where companies have production in many countries but still retain a tie to their original home base.

I hear what you are saying, on the Garden Peas there is a panel that states Talleys 100 percent NZ grown and owned. It also says product of New Zealand. So which is which?

Im aware of the others like Apple etc perhaps just a sign of the times as China extends its tentacle like reach into all areas of the world?

@CMKiwi - the Motueka region also has the 2nd best ITM Cup team. My team is better. :)

Bloody confusing, this sourcing business. In my freezer, I have:

Tomex brussels sprouts - marked as produced in Belgium.

Talleys garden peas - produced and packled by Talleys Group Ltd

Thai company whole leaf spinach - country of origin: China

Thai company frozen brocooli - country of origin: China

The Chiefs werent too good this season.....but by the same token the Crusaders left their run too late. The Mako`s are making big in roads every season and a lot of their players are pulled into the Crusaders franchise as well.

Im looking forward to July 4th, and its not because of American Independance day. Super Rugby grand final..... I hope the boys from the South (Highlanders) pull it off but my heart says the Hurricanes will probably take the title. Either way I hope its a good game.

As to food in the freezer, just reminded me to do a big defrost and get rid of old freezer burnt produce. GF always buys too much and then forgets about it. Might be interesting to see all the country of origin labels.

Edited by CMKiwi

CM Kiwi if it says 100% NZ grown then it is just that. If it says Product of NZ it can contain components from other countries, which allows them to source seasonally from various locations. One has to hope that they apply stringent quality standards and tests irrespective of source.