Seven drug traffickers killed in clash with soldiers in Chiang Rai

webfact

Seven drug traffickers killed in clash with soldiers in Chiang Rai

3-7-2558-11-02-01-wpcf_728x411.jpg

CHIANG RAI: -- Seven hill tribe armed guards of a drug caravan were shot dead by soldiers as they tried to smuggle heroin from Myanmar border to Thailand's border of Mae Fa Luang district of Chiang Rai province early Friday.

Before the armed encounter that broke out before dawn today, soldiers from the Pamuang Field Force were tipped off earlier yesterday that a drug caravan would use the jungle path of Mae Fa Luang to smuggle the drugs from Myanmar border town of Yoanmai.

Border soldiers were placed on alert and for patrols were heightened to intercept the drug smuggling.

A group of soldiers spotted the 10-member drug caravan at the Mae Fa Luang border adjoining the Myanmar border town of Yoanmai before dawn today.

Order was given out for the drug traffickers to stop but the armed guards opened fire.

In a 10-minute gun battle, all drug traffickers managed to escape back across the border, leaving seven of their colleagues dead with the drugs they carried in bags.

Soldiers seized assault rifles from the slain traffickers and several bags containing heroin inside.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/seven-drug-traffickers-killed-in-clash-with-soldiers-in-chiang-rai

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-03

I suppose it's on road 1149 between Mae Sai and Doi Tung arboretum;

the road follows the border without a fence ;

there are two or three thai army control doors ;

I passed there three times with our Isizu trucks and each time they ask us :

Where is Sakon Nakhon ? cheesy.gif

If you are a farang or a foreigner , don't forget your passport ; Each time they ask about it and go inside their post with it for a few minutes .

One of the thai army control , about one kilometer before arriving at Doi Thung Arboretum

16160268949_c33faa0dbe_b.jpg

Road 1149 ; not a motorway wink.png ; the left side is Thailand and the right one is Myanmar

15726514843_061f6c8404_b.jpg

If you are a farang or a foreigner , don't forget your passport ; Each time they ask about it and go inside their post with it for a few minutes .

One of the thai army control , about one kilometer before arriving at Doi Thung Arboretum

Road 1149 ; not a motorway wink.png ; the left side is Thailand and the right one is Myanmar

I reside not far from that border. I've ridden my motorbike on that road. Last time I went, there were armed guards (Army?) standing in the road, every 50 meters, facing the Burmese side. All had automatic weapons. It must be a porous border, as it's steep downhill from the Burmese side, and again downhill from the road to the village, about 200 to 400 meters through a forest. If a smuggler got a running start, and was in good shape, he could probably run and hide in that Thai-side village within a few minutes.

Don't tell authorities, but I've crossed that border-and-back twice, solo. I just find a secluded spot, park my motorscooter, and hoof it west - on in to Burma for several hours. It's one of the strange things about me. I like to sneak across int'l borders. I don't do much on the Burmese side, except walk around. There's a border road on their side also, though it's cobbled, not surfaced. There are some houses, and fields, and people doing what people do - just their day-to-day stuff. It's not like there are gangs of nefarious drug mules, dressed in black, grimacing with mischief - all ready to charge down the hill into Thailand - though that's what the Thai authorities would want you to believe.

If Thai authorities ever take the time to find how heroin compares to alcohol in the real sense - they might adjust their laws - toward being less draconian. One drug renders the user sleepy and dreamy. The other drug renders them clumsy, loud, wife-beaters and terrible drivers. Up to you, dude.

I reside not far from that border. I've ridden my motorbike on that road. Last time I went, there were armed guards (Army?) standing in the road, every 50 meters, facing the Burmese side. All had automatic weapons. It must be a porous border, as it's steep downhill from the Burmese side, and again downhill from the road to the village, about 200 to 400 meters through a forest. If a smuggler got a running start, and was in good shape, he could probably run and hide in that Thai-side village within a few minutes.

Don't tell authorities, but I've crossed that border-and-back twice, solo. I just find a secluded spot, park my motorscooter, and hoof it west - on in to Burma for several hours. It's one of the strange things about me. I like to sneak across int'l borders. I don't do much on the Burmese side, except walk around. There's a border road on their side also, though it's cobbled, not surfaced. There are some houses, and fields, and people doing what people do - just their day-to-day stuff. It's not like there are gangs of nefarious drug mules, dressed in black, grimacing with mischief - all ready to charge down the hill into Thailand - though that's what the Thai authorities would want you to believe.

If Thai authorities ever take the time to find how heroin compares to alcohol in the real sense - they might adjust their laws - toward being less draconian. One drug renders the user sleepy and dreamy. The other drug renders them clumsy, loud, wife-beaters and terrible drivers. Up to you, dude.

Not a lot of difference between terrible drivers or sleepy and dreamy, but I take your point, maybe they should outlaw both.

I like your last paragraph. Unfortunately now only Mexico is alllowing for posession of 200 milligrams of Heroin, I think 300 milligrams of coke, an ounce of pot. There may be other countries that I am not aware of. I do not think most countries condon heroin use. I know my country does not, especially when it is 96% pure. I spent a lot of time in the Triangle 40 years ago, in the trade, sleepy and dreamy.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

This is almost literally in my back yard; well a few kilos anyway - pun intended. There was an identical fire fight with several kilos also confiscated and deaths just down the mountain last year too. 15 years ago they had horse heroin pony trains over these same dirt roads at night - so I hear. Evidently I happened to buy 4 of them from a hill tribe man. Strange how this road remains so porou$ after all these years.

was the order for them to stop given immediately....or were they dead by then

You know the answer. This is one of the reasons why there were so many casualties in the Thaksin era drug war. Keyboard warriors forget how stressful it is out in the jungle dealing with people who think nothing of killing.

Well aren't you the hero. !!!!!

When it comes to drug traffickers, does it really matter?

I agree with you but it would be nice to know that they really were drug smugglers ( you know, something silly like proof ) and not just poor peasants transporting their produce.

I agree with you but it would be nice to know that they really were drug smugglers ( you know, something silly like proof ) and not just poor peasants transporting their produce.

The packs of heroin and seized rifles aren't enough?

"Order was given out for the drug traffickers to stop but the armed guards opened fire" .... I know if someone opens fire on me, as the traffickers armed guards did to the soldiers, I'd assume a. they had something to hide, and b. they were trying to kill me, and in those circumstances, I'd be shooting first and asking questions later! Edited by ChiangmaiRob