Been in Thailand since March, leave for 3 weeks, how do I get back in?

I'm from NZ and applied for double entry tourist visa in my country, got to Thailand in March, left to Malaysia in May and came back to activate second entry. Decided to extend my second entry by 30 days which was no problem.

Thailand has turned out to be a lot cheaper than I thought. So I have a lot of savings left over and decided now is a good time to go to Japan as I've always wanted to go. My last day allowed in Thailand is currently Aug 15. I plan to leave to Japan on the 14th, and come back Sept 8.

My question is about how should I go about getting back into Thailand.. And will they let me back in when I've already been in Thailand so long. I was thinking my options are either 1. Turn up at the airport and go for the 30 day visa exemption. or 2. Apply for another Thai tourist Visa at the Thai embassy in Tokyo, which if approved will give me peace of mind that I can get back in. I know these are both legal options but does anyone have any advice on what is the best option. I would rather apply in Japan if that's a good idea.

If I get rejected at the border in Thailand when I come back from Japan what will happen?

Thanks for your advice. My only worry is that it may look sort of dodgy as I have been in Thailand so long so maybe they won't give me the exemption or let me in at all. Has anyone had any experience in a similar situation?

Thanks for your advice. My only worry is that it may look sort of dodgy as I have been in Thailand so long so maybe they won't give me the exemption or let me in at all. Has anyone had any experience in a similar situation?

No, there is no problem. People does it all the time.

As you said you'll change your flight back to NZ within 30 days of returning to Thailand, there would be little point getting a Tourist Visa to re-enter. As a NZ citizen you get a 30 day Visa Exempt entry arriving by air, 15 days arriving by land.

I guarantee you won't have a problem re-entering on the Visa Exempt method, so just enjoy your trip to Japan and relax.

I believe you could get a single entry tourist visa in Tokyo without difficulty. That said, as others have advised, visa exempt entry should not be a problem. You may need the ticket out for the airline's benefit if you do not have a visa (immigration does not care).

I believe you could get a single entry tourist visa in Tokyo without difficulty.

No, Thai consulate in Japan issues visa (of any kind) only to permanent resident foreigners with perfect paperwork.

Don't worry, I have only had 3 Non O's in 14 years and all the rest have been exempt stamps with a few 30 day extensions. I am in and out regularly and my last passport was full of Thai exempt stamps and I've never been questioned once.

I believe you could get a single entry tourist visa in Tokyo without difficulty. That said, as others have advised, visa exempt entry should not be a problem. You may need the ticket out for the airline's benefit if you do not have a visa (immigration does not care).

Sorry no. If you are not resident in Japan your chance of getting tourist or non-o a visa here is small. I asked that question last week when I went for my visa and the answer was "you can try but there is not much chance" they are asking for a

Japanese guarantor,

personal history,

proof of employment,

itinerary,

Proof of funds, usually a bank book.

and inbound and outbound tickets.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I believe you could get a single entry tourist visa in Tokyo without difficulty.

No, Thai consulate in Japan issues visa (of any kind) only to permanent resident foreigners with perfect paperwork.
I agree with the perfect paperwork, but you don't have to be a permanent resident. Just resident in Japan.
  • Like 1

Doubtful that a visa can be obtained in Japan.

You will receive a "visa exempt" entry on returning to Thailand which can be extended by 30 days at an immigration office for 1900 Baht

Perhaps they've changed the rules, but as far as I am aware, you cannot extend a visa exempt entry.

With the assumption that he OP will re-enter at Suvarnabhumi, the visa-exempt entry will be a formality.

I recall that some people with a recent history of long-term stays in Thailand as evidenced by the stamps in their passport have been given the 'third degree' on re-entry at Phuket International.

With the assumption that he OP will re-enter at Suvarnabhumi, the visa-exempt entry will be a formality.

I recall that some people with a recent history of long-term stays in Thailand as evidenced by the stamps in their passport have been given the 'third degree' on re-entry at Phuket International.

That is only correct if they had several visa exempt entries. The were not entering and staying here before on valid visas or extensions.

You will receive a "visa exempt" entry on returning to Thailand which can be extended by 30 days at an immigration office for 1900 Baht

Perhaps they've changed the rules, but as far as I am aware, you cannot extend a visa exempt entry.

Yes you can. I had 30 day extension done in Jomtien in April and just had another 30 days done on Samui on Wednesday! All that's required are your passport, copies of the main page and departure card and a photo ... oh and of course 1900 baht!

Edited by ChiangmaiRob

Been possible since August 29 last year !

That is only correct if they had several visa exempt entries. The were not entering and staying here before on valid visas or extensions.

Thanks for the clarification there ubonjoe, I knew there was some degree of discrimination there. Maybe others reading this thread and like the OP, finding they have some extra cash and can stay longer or return and start using the 'newly discovered' multiple visa-exempt entry dance. Always best to get a visa especially if one has an open itinerary.