Fang

fang37

I have lived in Thailand for 13 years - Chiang Mai

Recently, relocated to Fang.

I am looking to meet people in the ares.

Contact me as follows

<removed personal contact info>

or via Personal Messenger

Terry Hull

Edited by Tywais
e-mail and phone removed as per forum rules

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be fascinated to know what drew you to Fang after so many years in Thailand. It would seem by your request that you don't know anyone there. I'd love to hear your thoughts about the place.

Fang is not a tourist area - no tuk-tuks; has songtaees; no m/c taxis; regular bus service to CNX; 100km to Chiang Rai

It was apparently a drug area many years ago eg yabba. Fang is famous for oranges, coffee & even oil.

Not much to do here - Lotus, Makro, no movies, many temples, a Buddhist meditation retreat centre; no golf course; no airport; expat restaurants - probably zero; spa; national park; cloe to bordering countries (good for vsa runs if appliable)

Why did I come here?

The love of my life lived here as a youngster; her parents & relatives live here.

As CNX got busier & more polluted, Fang became more attractive.

Fang - the sky is blue; birds sing; traffic good.

We built a house. Will we live happy everafter?

Thoughts re Fang - a little premature. Basiclly, I like it; asy going. homely

Negative - English is rarely spoken here. The Thai language spoken here is difficult for me to understand.

No pub scene here. I doubt that unattached people would enjoy it.

Generally, I sense that the locals are a little scared of us expats - similar to going to the zoo - we expats are the animals.

Cost of living here - even cheaper than CNX. Buy food at the market - prices start at B20' massage - from B100/hr.

Not designed for younger people ie entertainment; no universities.

Edited by fang37

Fang is not a tourist area - no tuk-tuks; has songtaees; no m/c taxis; regular bus service to CNX; 100km to Chiang Rai

It was apparently a drug area many years ago eg yabba. Fang is famous for oranges, coffee & even oil.

Not much to do here - Lotus, Makro, no movies, many temples, a Buddhist meditation retreat centre; no golf course; no airport; expat restaurants - probably zero; spa; national park; cloe to bordering countries (good for vsa runs if appliable)

Why did I come here?

The love of my life lived here as a youngster; her parents & relatives live here.

Negative - English is rarely spoken here. The Thai language spoken here is difficult for me to understand.

Generally, I sense that the locals are a little scared of us expats - similar to going to the zoo - we expats are the animals.

Cost of living here - even cheaper than CNX. Buy food at the market - prices start at B20' massage - from B100/hr.

I understand. I had a similar scenario in the offing when my wife decided she had to move to Roi Et to be near her parents. I wasn't really thrilled at the idea of leaving CM for darkest Issan but was weakening when fate, in the way of her government job, said she could not transfer. Now I will never know.

For what it's worth, we often stay at the Phumanee Home Hotel right in the middle of Fang when we need a quick place to sleep while on motorcycle rides around the area. It's nothing special, and right in the middle of town, but the beds are comfortable, the food is tasty, and the prices are right. Friendly staff, both at the desk and in the restaurant.

(A side note about the restaurant... It's an adventure. You never really know what you are going to receive regardless of what you order... I don't think we've ever had a meal there where we actually got everything that we asked for. No complaints, mind you. Everything we got was delicious. Just different. I don't mind that sort of mix-up.)

I don't ride a m/c but I have heard that some of the tours are truly wonderful.

On the way to Fang, there are several resorts too.

Hotels in Fang itself - no experience.

Reasons for relocating - many BUT invariably the female is the catalyst.

Regrets - I have none - "Horses for Courses"

Personal observation - a trip to Lotus is a real event - exciting (for some)!

Then, I am 67yo. My desires are few.

"heybruce"

Definitely!

In addition, it may be a conseqence of timidness & inferior education.

Another? Thye tend to speak very softly.

When I arrived in Fang, I thought that I should recommence my Thai langage education (self-taught).

you just have look around. there are a couple after hours clubs where friendships can happen quickly. there is a resturant (serves expat food which is quite good, have live music most nights.

deep fried snake head fish to die for

the yearly fair is a experience, hill tribe come from all directions from miles around

as a side note there is a group who pass for farang due to bloond hair/white skin. quite attractive and friendly. they are visitors same as us think fromnortheast of fang.

oil field is kaput by most defination but it furniswhes bemployment and keeps ded occupied'

we have farm land and proprerty in town (about 6 kilo south of fang) people are what we call good folks. its growing fast and compared to 25 years ago its va large city. enjoy it not as boring as some report.

I have been in Fang only a very short time.

Morover, I was here only a few days when I was hit by a pickup - 2 weeks in a CNX hospital. At present, I am immobile. Fang Hospital decreed that it was too big a chalenge for them.

Nihhtlife - have not even ventured out yet. Red light district exist? Location? It is not a hobby of mine - been wth the same lady for a long time.

I ask these questins as a few friends will come shortly. Farang restaurants?

Oilfields - passed a few premises but did not expect any exploration etc.

To date, I know 2 farangs only - one is a Buddhist monk.

slapout - tell us a little more about Fang & your experiences?

Saan

How about sharing your experience in Roiet?

Roiet is bigger than Fang but many similarities?

As I said 'I'll never know" it never came to pass as government job transfer wasn't to be.

I was left to happily to wallow in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Saan

I suggest that we are digressing somewhat.

I am an ex-resident of Chiang Mai.

Being a new resident of Fang, I am seeking to network.

The network may be via this forum, email, phone or

MAYBE ACTUALLY MEETING.

(OK - enough sarcasm for today)

I am in a permanent relationship with a Fang girl

Have terminated sporting activities as a result of sickness. Further, I let my driver's licence lapse - no great loss.

When I was living in Chiang Mai, there were plenty of activities to occupy oneself.

Here, not so?

Basically, I enjoy this area.

QUESTION:

What do other members living in the NE do to occupy themselves?

Why did I come here?

Mnnn, I can see why you moved there, you have certainly sold it to me.

Vogie

After many years in CNX, a welcome change (I did enjoy CNX).,

I was motivated to relocate to Fang for family reasons.

Did a little touring.

Chiang Rai area - excellent. Has it all except pollution & traffic jams

2 big +++ of CR - airport & full service Immigration Office.

I tried to ask similar questions about Chom Thong for not too different reasons. The answers led me to believe I would be the only farang there. Surrounded by people who spoke not a word of English (fair enough) but mainly Lanna to boot. Fang seems a haven in comparison.

It is a relatively short ride from Fang to Thaton and you can usually find some decent western conversation up in the few restaurants up in Thaton in the evening as Thaton is more of a tourist destination than is Fang itself. The Farangs who live up around the upper Kok river drainage basin (Fang) are few and far between. And, by the way, there is a thriving Thai pub scene in Fang. Go check out the gt-rider web site for recent updates.

And most Khon Muang can shift to Central Thai. Live a decent life, don't chase their women, do drink Sang Som and buy a few rounds, and watch the conversation switch to Central Thai. And then slowly learn some Kham Muang.

I use to live up in that region in the 1980s and have a great affection for the region.

I tried to ask similar questions about Chom Thong for not too different reasons. The answers led me to believe I would be the only farang there. Surrounded by people who spoke not a word of English (fair enough) but mainly Lanna to boot. Fang seems a haven in comparison.

Don't know when you were asking about Chom Thong but... sure do like it here as there are so very few farang around... at least I have been able to avoid them if they are about!

When I was living in Chiang Mai, there were plenty of activities to occupy oneself.

Here, not so?

QUESTION:

Mountain biking and road biking ....... all you need is the bike.

Good for at least 2 hours every morning, I try to finish by 9am.

I can't do much after that because my skin burns easily.

BIKING!

I was here in Fang for a few days. Bought a bicycle.

Decided to cycle to the massage place & the local wat.

CRASH! Hit by a pickup.

Fang Hospital advised that the break was too complex for them so I was ambulanced to CNX.

2 weeks in hospital + 4-6 months to fully recuperate.

I will have to consider your suggestion!

NO THANKS.

(joke - thank you for your input)

The trip from CNX to Fang is beautiful - similar to my home country - Australia.

Edited by fang37

It is a relatively short ride from Fang to Thaton and you can usually find some decent western conversation up in the few restaurants up in Thaton in the evening as Thaton is more of a tourist destination than is Fang itself. The Farangs who live up around the upper Kok river drainage basin (Fang) are few and far between. And, by the way, there is a thriving Thai pub scene in Fang. Go check out the gt-rider web site for recent updates. And most Khon Muang can shift to Central Thai. Live a decent life, don't chase their women, do drink Sang Som and buy a few rounds, and watch the conversation switch to Central Thai. And then slowly learn some Kham Muang. I use to live up in that region in the 1980s and have a great affection for the region.

Your intelligent and well-informed posts appear regularly in threads about Lanna T'ai history.

If you have lived in the area, perhaps you could provide some information concerning the location of Fang at the end of the 19th century when it was visited by James McCarthy, the British surveyor employed by the Siamese Government Surveys.

McCarthy's book, Surveying and Exploring in Siam [reprint, White Lotus 1994] has a short passage about Fang as he saw it during the twelve years [1881-93] that he and his team were mapping the region.

His description is interesting and concise: "On February 17th [1890] we reached Muang Fang. The day was beautifully clear after the previous night's rain. This town, old and irregular in shape, was surrounded by a moat and walls of half burnt bricks, with a backing of earth 12 feet thick. The walls had originally been crenellated, but now trees, not less than sixty years old, were growing on them. A great deal of the town was jungle. The surrounding rice-fields were extensive, but very little was actually under cultivation. The few pagodas [chedis] were more than half in ruins. At the junction of two main streets stood a curiously designed building, said to have been built by a man starting a new religion, the chief tenet of which was that the people should not respect the princes. Inside the town there is a small hill, with a broken-down temple and pagoda, and through the town flows the river Mae Choi, which comes from Doi Pahom Pok. This magnificent mountain stands on the north-west, and as its position was fixed by the Indian triangulator, I made a mental resolution to start my work from this peak."

If you have any additional information about the location of Old Fang, it would be interesting to me, and possibly to the OP and other members who share an interest in the history of Lanna T'ai.

Here, not so?

QUESTION:

The wife (lao-isaan) and I visited Fang last year to visit Ankhang and other attractions. Ended up loving the place and stayed 5 nights at the Phumanee. Fantastic staff and as someone else said the beds are actually comfortable. We have been together 37 years, visit LoS most years and have been most places there and Laos. Visiting again in September. We are close to retiring and this district is frontrunner for much longer stays when we do. We found about 4 Thai pubs within about 5 minutes walk of the Phumanee.

We jagged being there for the hill tribe fair. Enjoyed it but one downside was some of the young locals were hyped up - probably on something more harmful than Chang. There were quite a few brawls erupting and it got scary enough for us to leave the concert area.

Edited by Shasta55

Your intelligent and well-informed posts appear regularly in threads about Lanna T'ai history.

If you have lived in the area, perhaps you could provide some information concerning the location of Fang at the end of the 19th century when it was visited by James McCarthy, the British surveyor employed by the Siamese Government Surveys.

McCarthy's book, Surveying and Exploring in Siam [reprint, White Lotus 1994] has a short passage about Fang as he saw it during the twelve years [1881-93] that he and his team were mapping the region.

I remember reading an old copy of McCarthy's book a long tine ago. I think it had some great illustrations of a region covered in forests. But I do not know the exact site of Muang Fang at the time of McCarthy's visit although I would guess, and just a guess, that it would be close to the old market area. I believe the older Burmese style temples could also be close to the site of the town. I lived closer to Thaton, across the Kok River, so, historically, my closest friends were cut off from the history of Fang until the bridge was built at Thaton across the Kok around 1979. North of the Kok Lahu remained the lingua franca until the late 1980s.

At one point in the late 1980s/early 1990s there was hope that Fang would become a province, but I don't hear such talk anymore.

I've always enjoyed trips to Fang and had some good nights out there over the years. The experiences have been more entertaining than many have suggested here. O.K. its a small town, but enough restaurants, bars and clubs to be enjoyable. Very local of course, if you go with expectations of a Farang/Tourist scene I guess you would be disappointed. I've also had the benefit of local friends to take us around.

Last couple of visits have stayed at the Khunyuu place hotel, clean modern, functional and not expensive. It's located behind the market/Bus station (on the right just after the hospital when coming from south)