fang37

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Jip" - no understand.

Aha...

A chink in your wisdom armour.

In the UK, one would say "my leg is giving me Jip". Which means, colloquially, it's giving me a lot of pain.

Which, coincidentally, is the same word in Thai for pain...Jip

• 4 weeks later...

We stay at a hotel in Fang when we need a place to sleep on motorcycle trips up north. Being right on the main road, it makes a good central hub for day trips along the border without needing to spend 3000 baht a night at one of the fancier resorts. (We use hotels just for sleeping, not for hanging out during the day.) In fact, we'll be staying there again in a couple of weeks. Nice place run by the Lisu people.

Fang is a nice town, quiet and without the congestion that Chiang Mai is developing, but it just doesn't have the magnetic pull that towns often exude. Even Thaton feels more like a place I'd want to settle, but I couldn't tell you exactly why.

As for your question; "We have a fence - what is a fencing club?" A fencing club is a place where people meet to engage in the sport of Fencing. Although it is an Olympic sport, it really isn't quite as popular as Mud Wrestling or Running With The Bulls, and so it's understandable that there might not be a club in Fang...

FolkGuitar, can you let me know the name of the hotel you stay at in Fang? I just got myself a new motorcycle for my birthday and a ride up to Fang with an overnight would be a great road trip for it.

Thanks

David

Hi all.

I'm curious as to which would be the better, i.e. more visually interesting, route from Chiang Mai to Fang. 107 or 118/109? I know that the 118/109 route is longer but I don't mind if the views are good.

Thanks

David

We stay at a hotel in Fang when we need a place to sleep on motorcycle trips up north. Being right on the main road, it makes a good central hub for day trips along the border without needing to spend 3000 baht a night at one of the fancier resorts. (We use hotels just for sleeping, not for hanging out during the day.) In fact, we'll be staying there again in a couple of weeks. Nice place run by the Lisu people.

Fang is a nice town, quiet and without the congestion that Chiang Mai is developing, but it just doesn't have the magnetic pull that towns often exude. Even Thaton feels more like a place I'd want to settle, but I couldn't tell you exactly why.

As for your question; "We have a fence - what is a fencing club?" A fencing club is a place where people meet to engage in the sport of Fencing. Although it is an Olympic sport, it really isn't quite as popular as Mud Wrestling or Running With The Bulls, and so it's understandable that there might not be a club in Fang...

FolkGuitar, can you let me know the name of the hotel you stay at in Fang? I just got myself a new motorcycle for my birthday and a ride up to Fang with an overnight would be a great road trip for it.

Thanks

David

Hi all.

I'm curious as to which would be the better, i.e. more visually interesting, route from Chiang Mai to Fang. 107 or 118/109? I know that the 118/109 route is longer but I don't mind if the views are good.

Thanks

David

The name of the hotel is the "Phumanee." http://www.agoda.com/phumanee-home-hotel/hotel/fang-th.html

It's run by the Lahu hill tribe folks and they do a very good job of it. The hotel is not a resort... It's a place to sleep for the night and good a good meal (if you follow the Thai menu rather than the Western one, especially for the included breakfast should you book over the Internet. It is easy to find when coming up Rt 107. Follow the road through town until you come to the 'T' junction traffic light. 107 goes right, you turn left. The hotel is one block down on the left, with a large parking lot behind it.

We usually ride from Chiang Mai north first on Rt 107, then turning onto Rt 1178 north, then Rt.1340 towards Doi Ang Kahn, but turning off just before it onto Rt 1249 which leads back to Rt 107 just south of Fang. Makes for a lovely motorcycle ride over the mountains. Roughly four hours from Chiang Mai to Fang if you don't make too many stops for looking at the views. If you are looking for some nice riding, this is a very good intro into the mountains next to the border. Maps in this area are pretty sketchy but there is a triptck created by Budget Rent-a-Car that will guide you every kilometer of the way through the small back roads along the border, first west of Fang, then north, up to Mae Salong and the regions north of that. If you want to go further, this same triptick will give you nice routes all the way around to the Golden Triangle area along the Mekong River. From Tachilek south-east to the Golden Triangle is basically flat road, but through nice country. Here is a link to their map and routing; http://www.budget.co.th/images/world/worldclass_golden_eng.pdf Best maps for that area that I've seen other than GT Rider maps. If you just want to make day trips, you can base yourself in Fang, do 150km rides around the north, returning to the hotel at night. Or... spend one night in Fang, the next night in Mae Salong, the next in Tachilek or back to Thaton. There are small hotels and guest houses all over and easy to find in all of these towns. In Thaton, you'll see several of them right along the river on the south east bank, less than 500m from the main road.

Enjoy your ride!

Edited by FolkGuitar

Thanks

David

Hi all.

Thanks

David

The name of the hotel is the "Phumanee." http://www.agoda.com/phumanee-home-hotel/hotel/fang-th.html

It's run by the Lahu hill tribe folks and they do a very good job of it. The hotel is not a resort... It's a place to sleep for the night and good a good meal (if you follow the Thai menu rather than the Western one, especially for the included breakfast should you book over the Internet. It is easy to find when coming up Rt 107. Follow the road through town until you come to the 'T' junction traffic light. 107 goes right, you turn left. The hotel is one block down on the left, with a large parking lot behind it.

We usually ride from Chiang Mai north first on Rt 107, then turning onto Rt 1178 north, then Rt.1340 towards Doi Ang Kahn, but turning off just before it onto Rt 1249 which leads back to Rt 107 just south of Fang. Makes for a lovely motorcycle ride over the mountains. Roughly four hours from Chiang Mai to Fang if you don't make too many stops for looking at the views. If you are looking for some nice riding, this is a very good intro into the mountains next to the border. Maps in this area are pretty sketchy but there is a triptck created by Budget Rent-a-Car that will guide you every kilometer of the way through the small back roads along the border, first west of Fang, then north, up to Mae Salong and the regions north of that. If you want to go further, this same triptick will give you nice routes all the way around to the Golden Triangle area along the Mekong River. From Tachilek south-east to the Golden Triangle is basically flat road, but through nice country. Here is a link to their map and routing; http://www.budget.co.th/images/world/worldclass_golden_eng.pdf Best maps for that area that I've seen other than GT Rider maps. If you just want to make day trips, you can base yourself in Fang, do 150km rides around the north, returning to the hotel at night. Or... spend one night in Fang, the next night in Mae Salong, the next in Tachilek or back to Thaton. There are small hotels and guest houses all over and easy to find in all of these towns. In Thaton, you'll see several of them right along the river on the south east bank, less than 500m from the main road.

Enjoy your ride!

FolkGuitar, thanks for the great information. Should make the trip much more fun.

David

It seems that a m/c tour is the only attraction that Fang has to offer.

Surely there are other attractions?

You live there,surely you should know?,it must be quite lonely up there for you,

and TV is a way to contact the outside world.

regards Worgeordie

It seems that a m/c tour is the only attraction that Fang has to offer.

Surely there are other attractions?

You live there,surely you should know?,it must be quite lonely up there for you,

and TV is a way to contact the outside world.

regards Worgeordie

Quite true!

Even worse, I had a traffic accident shortly after my arrival.

I use TVF extensively for entertainment.

Although I had basic proficiency in Thai prior to relocation from CNX, this is a whole new ballgame.

No of expats here??? I know 3 only.

No golf course; bars??; ladies of the night??

It does have its +++ eg environment, nature but it is difficult to chat to the feathered birds.

Overall, it is a good deal.

Finally, from the local rag, the Fang Times (formerly Somchai Times), the local katoey brigade will be returning from Patts to see Ma & Pa.

It is very competitive work serving customers. A 2 week layoff & then back to the grind. A katoey's work is never done.

Finally, from the local rag, the Fang Times (formerly Somchai Times), the local katoey brigade will be returning from Patts to see Ma & Pa.

It is very competitive work serving customers. A 2 week layoff & then back to the grind. A katoey's work is never done.

It's been somewhat enlightening reading this thread, I must admit. I've lived out in the boonies between Fang and Mae Ai pretty much for most of the last three years and it's encouraging reading from other folk living here. I rarely see farang up here and personally only know of another one.

It has its advantages and disadvantages up here - I live and work at an agricultural project out in the boonies and I wish it was easier to socialize in Fang or Mae Ai but getting back here on the bike at night (and sometimes in the day as well!) can be hazardous so an overnight stay is needed if I want a couple of beers. It is inexpensive though and I do find that people do use central Thai when talking to me otherwise I haven't got a clue what's going on.

I used to go to the cluster of pubs near the Phumanee at the weekend but haven't been for a long time. I wouldn't mind trying out that new place opposite Lotus which used to be The Cottage.

Socializing-wise, I haven't found anything at all in Mae Ai but Thaton is great next to the Kok River.

I need to get out more.

I used to be a VERY SOCIAL drinker - too social. I have been a sober member of AA for 30+ years.

Socializing - what is that?

Language - although I lived in CNX for 13 years, I have no idea what the locals are talking about.

We have 20-30 farangs living in Fang including missionaries.

At least we are both in the same boat.

If you feel like communicating with another whitey, we cal telephone or email. Up to you.

BTW, I am an Aussie aged 67yo.

Bye

James McCarthy has a Thai name (Par-wi-park-phu-va-dol) he was the first Director-General of Royal Thai Survey. His book was translated in Thai and people enjoy reading them. His story is mention on the Royal Thai Survey website. His book can be read free on-line in Thai as well.

It is a relatively short ride from Fang to Thaton and you can usually find some decent western conversation up in the few restaurants up in Thaton in the evening as Thaton is more of a tourist destination than is Fang itself. The Farangs who live up around the upper Kok river drainage basin (Fang) are few and far between. And, by the way, there is a thriving Thai pub scene in Fang. Go check out the gt-rider web site for recent updates. And most Khon Muang can shift to Central Thai. Live a decent life, don't chase their women, do drink Sang Som and buy a few rounds, and watch the conversation switch to Central Thai. And then slowly learn some Kham Muang. I use to live up in that region in the 1980s and have a great affection for the region.

Your intelligent and well-informed posts appear regularly in threads about Lanna T'ai history.

If you have lived in the area, perhaps you could provide some information concerning the location of Fang at the end of the 19th century when it was visited by James McCarthy, the British surveyor employed by the Siamese Government Surveys.

McCarthy's book, Surveying and Exploring in Siam [reprint, White Lotus 1994] has a short passage about Fang as he saw it during the twelve years [1881-93] that he and his team were mapping the region.

His description is interesting and concise: "On February 17th [1890] we reached Muang Fang. The day was beautifully clear after the previous night's rain. This town, old and irregular in shape, was surrounded by a moat and walls of half burnt bricks, with a backing of earth 12 feet thick. The walls had originally been crenellated, but now trees, not less than sixty years old, were growing on them. A great deal of the town was jungle. The surrounding rice-fields were extensive, but very little was actually under cultivation. The few pagodas [chedis] were more than half in ruins. At the junction of two main streets stood a curiously designed building, said to have been built by a man starting a new religion, the chief tenet of which was that the people should not respect the princes. Inside the town there is a small hill, with a broken-down temple and pagoda, and through the town flows the river Mae Choi, which comes from Doi Pahom Pok. This magnificent mountain stands on the north-west, and as its position was fixed by the Indian triangulator, I made a mental resolution to start my work from this peak."

If you have any additional information about the location of Old Fang, it would be interesting to me, and possibly to the OP and other members who share an interest in the history of Lanna T'ai.

Edited by ARISTIDE

• 2 weeks later...

Guess FANG has been cover well thefore FANG37 and others may mind too much if I deviate a bit. Using the knowledge of some insiders here =

I'm surprised that Chiang Dao has not come up. Closer to CNX, real hospitals [ would hate to be taken on these twisted road to real care]

I like the scenery. Drawback, I would need to live where the morning sun is not covered too long by the by the shadow of of the big mountain

Guess FANG has been cover well thefore FANG37 and others may mind too much if I deviate a bit. Using the knowledge of some insiders here =

I'm surprised that Chiang Dao has not come up. Closer to CNX, real hospitals [ would hate to be taken on these twisted road to real care]

I like the scenery. Drawback, I would need to live where the morning sun is not covered too long by the by the shadow of of the big mountain

I'm not sure about where you live, but in Chiang Dao, the sun rises in the east. As Chiang Dao's mountain range is west of town, there is a good chance of your getting all the morning sun you can use.

Very helpful. Rode one time passing the Nest going into the Nat Park up up the big mountain,

How is it in the smoky season? Any place to stay l.t, to escape the smoke, if possible. Nest the huts, are romantic but only for 2 nights.

Something more roomy and with some comfort. ?

Little to report in the Fang Times.

Weather - too good.

Two katoeys fighting each other in order to gain my affection - quite understandable.

Spoken English - what is that?

Soi dog population - increasing quite well.

The feathered birds are happy so all must be well.

There was a traffic jam four years ago.

Is it true residents consider the 7/11 to be a superstore and the Tesco extra a shopping mall?

7/11s in Fang are huge.

Tesco - one needs to hire a navigator.

Outside Tesco is a garden of Eden - KFC - frequented by little fat boys.

You may hire the little fat boys by the hour. Unfortunately, cash only at present.