Fang

fang37

Mornings here - for brass monkeys. Later, perfect.

By 3am, several locals are already working - morning food market.

They have a lantern on - live in hovels. B&W TV going 24/7

Family off to the market on their 3 wheel m/c.

Unlike expats, they are happy & contented with this life - smiling & laughing.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange....

It was traffic, overabundance of tourists, inconveniences at CM immigration, that turned me off. Additionally....the Thais there have long been overexposed to farangs. Although friendly (outside the city), they were more like Bangkok people. Busy rushing around and busy being "somebody". I do recommend that city for tourists and farangs that need that sort of life (plenty of amenities that remind them of home).

We moved back to Udon..(10 kilometers out)...where almost everyone talks to each other (and us). My wife's family is well known here. Also, have re-educated ourselves on our surrounds. Plenty to see and do within 2 to 3 hours drive. Plenty of nice resorts (went to one in Nong Bua Lamphu yesterday). Enough nightspots and decent restaurants...two shopping malls (One is more of an electronics place). Loei is only 2 hours away..plenty of that mountain stuff. Mekong is about an hour. There are dams and reservoirs within an hour or two..as well. Main thing....people are just friendlier. Immigration is congenial, modern it's amost a pleasure to go. Nong Khai and Vientiane (International Border)...are a short ride, and provides an easy way out of Thailand, should major airports have problems here. Vientiane has one.

Went all over Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai/Mae Hong Song n. Almost every mountain, field, and road. Very nice...but few places that I could live. Fang was not very far from Chiang Mai ..as I recall. You still could easily drive to the city on weekends.... Mountain tribe people were ok..but not as friendly as I would of thought.... Wife's daughter went to Phrayao university....nice area on a reservoir with plenty of local pubs/restaurant.

Edited by slipperylobster

• 2 weeks later...

Strange....

It was traffic, overabundance of tourists, inconveniences at CM immigration, that turned me off. Additionally....the Thais there have long been overexposed to farangs. Although friendly (outside the city), they were more like Bangkok people. Busy rushing around and busy being "somebody". I do recommend that city for tourists and farangs that need that sort of life (plenty of amenities that remind them of home).

We moved back to Udon..(10 kilometers out)...where almost everyone talks to each other (and us). My wife's family is well known here. Also, have re-educated ourselves on our surrounds. Plenty to see and do within 2 to 3 hours drive. Plenty of nice resorts (went to one in Nong Bua Lamphu yesterday). Enough nightspots and decent restaurants...two shopping malls (One is more of an electronics place). Loei is only 2 hours away..plenty of that mountain stuff. Mekong is about an hour. There are dams and reservoirs within an hour or two..as well. Main thing....people are just friendlier. Immigration is congenial, modern it's amost a pleasure to go. Nong Khai and Vientiane (International Border)...are a short ride, and provides an easy way out of Thailand, should major airports have problems here. Vientiane has one.

Went all over Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai/Mae Hong Song n. Almost every mountain, field, and road. Very nice...but few places that I could live. Fang was not very far from Chiang Mai ..as I recall. You still could easily drive to the city on weekends.... Mountain tribe people were ok..but not as friendly as I would of thought.... Wife's daughter went to Phrayao university....nice area on a reservoir with plenty of local pubs/restaurant.

Agreed. Can't wait to return to Udon. Only 15 more years in Chiang Kwai to go. :(

• 5 months later...

Hi My name is derek , I live in a village called Mae ai , about half way between fang and thaton, I'm english been in thailand about 12 years, have thai wife been in mae ai 2 years, would like to meet u for lunch some ware, not sure if i can post my email on here I will try and the moderator will take it of if not aloud, dont know how else to contact u [email protected]