3 Cambodian workers died in farm chemical explosion in Chanthaburi

Lite Beer

3 Cambodian workers died in farm chemical explosion in Chanthaburi

4-7-2558-13-30-17-wpcf_728x410.jpg

CHANTABURI: -- Three Cambodian workers were killed and two others injured in a powerful farm chemical explosion in Soi Dao district of Chanthaburi province yesterday afternoon.

A fire was also started and burnt down six adjacent row shop houses.

The deadly explosion was reported at 4.40 pm Friday at Prasert Phanich shop, a major retailer selling farm fertilisers in Tambon Thap Charng of Soi Dao district.

The powerful explosion killed three Cambodian workers, one male and two females, instantly, and injured the owner of the shop Praewmanee Somsri, and her Cambodian male worker.

Glass windows and doors in the 250-metre perimeter of the scene were shattered by the blast.

Fire engines were rushed to the scene after being alerted of the blast and fire.

They were able to put out the fire a few hours later.

According to police, the farm chemical blasts flattened six row shop houses and damaged roofs if several other houses in the vicinity.

Investigation revealed that the shop stored farm chemicals and fertilisers, particularly potassium chlorate, in a godown behind the shop.

It was believed that heat in the godown might trigger the explosion.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal police are inspecting the scene Saturday morning to find the exact cause of the explosion, and collect evidence to pursue legal case against the shop owner.

The killed Cambodian workers were identified only as Sa, 28, Mrs Pia, 25, and Ms Sao, 20. Their bodies were torn into pieces by the explosion.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/3-cambodian-workers-died-in-farm-chemical-explosion-in-chanthaburi

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-04

these people have tunnel vision, they could see and approach a soi dog while ignoring the truck barreling down the road right at them. diesel, fertilizer elevated tempertures do no mix, throw in a little repair with welder and guess the outcome. doubt they heard the shot that got them, RIP it was quick

potassium chlorate - nasty stuff and doesn't take a lot to set it off. When I was young I used to experiment with the stuff. Add some sugar, a drop of nitric acid or a fuse and it was off.

"It was believed that heat in the godown might trigger the explosion".

Should happen frequently in certain Pattaya bars then.

But in a nice way thumbsup.gif .

Edited by Mudcrab

potassium chlorate - nasty stuff and doesn't take a lot to set it off. When I was young I used to experiment with the stuff. Add some sugar, a drop of nitric acid or a fuse and it was off.

We did a lot of similar "experimentation" when young, lots of formulas to try. Potassium nitrate and sugar made a great rocket fuel when melted and poured into an empty co2 cartridge (from our BB guns of course). The melting process was a bit touchy though and often ended badly.

I feel sorry for the kids today, get caught doing that now and they might wind up in Guantanamo.

We did a lot of similar "experimentation" when young, lots of formulas to try. Potassium nitrate and sugar made a great rocket fuel when melted and poured into an empty co2 cartridge (from our BB guns of course). The melting process was a bit touchy though and often ended badly.

I feel sorry for the kids today, get caught doing that now and they might wind up in Guantanamo.

The good old days!

Biggest IED I made involved about 2Kgs sugar + NaCLO3 in a 19 Kg LPG gas cylinder on a remote beach in Kenya. I felt the beach physically lift, blowing a crater 3 meters wide and two meters deep. The blast was heard 8 Kms away! Only amateurs around these days! whistling.gif