self-employment refusal (settlement)

So was just refused a settlement visa for my wife for not meeting the financial requirements but I thought everything was ok because at the top (gross pay) I had made 20,451 as a sole trader have attached the refusal letter still a little confused with it all , thought I would post to help any people in the same boat regards Jimpost-23802-0-98350800-1436081351_thumb.j

It appears you are suggesting that your sales turnover is gross pay but your tax return shows only £15479 after expenses which is your net taxable income.

By claiming those expenses you have brought your income below the £18,600 which is needed to qualify.

It would have been better to have used an accountant to produce your tax return and assist you in making sure your earnings were over the prescribed level.

I am sure others will be along shortly to offer advice as to,what you do next.

You gave them the figures of net profit £15,479 when you should have known £18.600 was required. You should have shown £18,600 as net profit and paid a little bit more tax and NI.

It may be possible to get an accountant to submit retrospective audited accounts and explain to the tax office you made a mistake on your self assessment?

There would be a further payment needed in tax and NI but it would provide proof you earned over £18600.

If this was acceptable it would overcome your problem.

I fail to see the point in H (iii). There is no requirement for planning permission if purely using the home as a business address otherwise anybody who took work home with them would be in breach of planning regs.

I hope this isn't a new rejection criteria to catch out all self employed people.

I fail to see the point in H (iii). There is no requirement for planning permission if purely using the home as a business address otherwise anybody who took work home with them would be in breach of planning regs.

I hope this isn't a new rejection criteria to catch out all self employed people.

Not at all.

Many small limited companies use their accountants office as a base.

A mobile mechanic does not need premises as he is mobile and his workshop is in his van.

The problem here is the OP did not think about his application when he filed a self assessment.

Had he spent a few hundred on an accountant he would not be facing the problems he has now.

And of course this is why decent visa agents are often a better bet than doing it yourself.