SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize gay Marriage?

Scott

Should Thailand legalize gay marriage  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In light of the recent US Supreme Court ruling allowing for gay marriage in the US as well as the recent referendum in Ireland, in your opinion, should Thailand legalize gay marriage?

Feel free to post your opinion on the subject.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have been nice to see a '' It's non of my business '' option.

There is - it's called not voting at all.

Always makes me puzzled when people choose to participate in a survey to then decide to vote "I don't know" or "don't care". Why waste your time voting on something just to say that you don't have an opinion on what you just voted on??? blink.png

Seems like a good idea. It hasn't done any harm in the places where they have it.

Just piss off Muslims Christians and a whole host of other fruitcakes. Bring it on I say

This is what offends me. But I won’t demand their rainbow flag be banned and I certainly won’t riot in the streets.

Goodness.thats disgustingbah.gif , I mean.............socks with trainers....sheeeeeeeeeesh

Always makes me puzzled when people choose to participate in a survey to then decide to vote "I don't know" or "don't care". Why waste your time voting on something just to say that you don't have an opinion on what you just voted on??? blink.png

I know. That is why I did not vote and merely made an observation.

You might want to take the headphones off and quit with the headbanging. It is affecting you more than you realise biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

No thoughts one way or other.

There would be a lot less trouble in the world if we stopped holding up the US and the West as shining beacons of enlightenment.

It sounds like you're against gay marriage. Just say so. Or say you're for it. This is not a US/western issue. Do YOU think Thailand should legalize gay marriage? I say sure, do it. It doesn't hurt anyone and helps a good number of folks.

There would be a lot less trouble in the world if we stopped holding up the US and the West as shining beacons of enlightenment.

It sounds like you're against gay marriage. Just say so. Or say you're for it. This is not a US/western issue. Do YOU think Thailand should legalize gay marriage? I say sure, do it. It doesn't hurt anyone and helps a good number of folks.

I am neither for or against gay marriage. Just as I equally an not sure about the so called sanctity of straight marriage. Some people believe in it, some don't.

The OP topic makes it a US / Western issue. Again, I will reiterate, I would not be holding up the US or the West as bastions of how to do the right thing.

Thailand can either legalise / or not legalise gay marriage. I care not one jot, but that is for the Thai's to discuss, dissect and come up with an answer.

So enlighten me. Explain where my original post sounded to you that I am against gay marriage ?

I am neither for or against gay marriage. Just as I equally an not sure about the so called sanctity of straight marriage. Some people believe in it, some don't.

The OP topic makes it a US / Western issue. Again, I will reiterate, I would not be holding up the US or the West as bastions of how to do the right thing.

Thailand can either legalise / or not legalise gay marriage. I care not one jot, but that is for the Thai's to discuss, dissect and come up with an answer.

So enlighten me. Explain where my original post sounded to you that I am against gay marriage ?

Apologize if I misread, but your statement that "(other countries) should stop holding up the US and the West as shining beacons of enlightenment"--in the context of this thread--would suggest that you feel the US legalizing gay marriage is not something that Thailand should follow. Regardless, there are a great many things that the US gov does that I don't agree with. In this case, the US Supreme Court did the right thing. You should also realize that the rest of the world does follow the US in many respects. If the US federal gov ever decided to legalize marijuana, for example, that would be a huge statement that the rest of the world would have to take heed.

Not sure why you and some folks would want to take a neutral position. It's pretty clear to me that if you're not "for" it, then you're "against" it, whether you say so or not. Makes no difference to me. It's just a poll.

of course

Of course.....not.

Marriage is for men and women.

While i have no problem with what two men or women want to do in private ,When i was young if you were that way inclined you kept it to yourself and as my dad used to say ,i dont think he will ever get married ,he wears suede shoes , meaning he was that way inclined ,and everybody just got on with their lives ,now what puts me off gays ,is not the fact that they are gay ,but the ,Gay rainbow flag ,gay parades ,gays targeting cake shops that will not make them a wedding cake( i notice they never target Muslim cake shops)and all the other bullshit gays keep harping on about ,on and on and on .

please just get on with your lives and let us get on with ours ,quietly

And i know its hackneyd but yes i do have gay relatives , but they dont ram it down your throat (no pun intended)smile.png

take out the word "marriage" and install "legal union" instead with all the same legal rights as married couples and problem solved.

The big issue in the states was when ones partner was dying and they had been together for many many years, the two that loved each other the most could not be together because of some stupid "family only" clause imposed by the inhospitable hospitals. How disgusting and inhuman!

Maybe first legalize pot and gay marriage wouldn't be an issue.

Apologize if I misread, but your statement that "(other countries) should stop holding up the US and the West as shining beacons of enlightenment"--in the context of this thread--would suggest that you feel the US legalizing gay marriage is not something that Thailand should follow. Regardless, there are a great many things that the US gov does that I don't agree with. In this case, the US Supreme Court did the right thing. You should also realize that the rest of the world does follow the US in many respects. If the US federal gov ever decided to legalize marijuana, for example, that would be a huge statement that the rest of the world would have to take heed.

Not sure why you and some folks would want to take a neutral position. It's pretty clear to me that if you're not "for" it, then you're "against" it, whether you say so or not. Makes no difference to me. It's just a poll.

No apology needed. The OP made a direct comparison with the US, I added the West as I did not want to construed as yank bashing.

Do you not think that your view of either being for it / or against it, is a very narrow minded viewpoint ?

Personally, I am neither for or against ANY marriage, gay or straight. A bit of paper does not mean that much to me, on the other hand, it will mean a great deal to others.

As a Westerner living in Thailand, I think it is an issue for the Thai's to discuss, dissect and come up with a plan. I also think that whatever has happened in the US / West should not have a bearing on whatever decision Thailand comes up with.

There is no doubt that there are Western gay men in Thailand. I would think that some have already commented on this very thread. Some may well even be in long term relationships.

Genuine question.

If Thailand were to not legalise gay marriage.

Would it really have a dramatic effect on your life, and if so, why ?

You might want to take the headphones off and quit with the headbanging. It is affecting you more than you realise biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Yes but you said "It would have been nice to see a '' It's non of my business '' option." That means you wanted an option to allow you to "vote" in the survey simply to say that you don't care about the survey... crazy.gif

Each to their own. If some one wants to be a tail gunner then its their call. Just do not flaunt it in my face. I will not grovel over a lady in your presence and I expect the same. I will not act butch and do not wish some bloke to do the feminine act to me. Respect each others place and then all is ok.

people in the bigger world grovel over a lady all the time and its gonna happen that some gays do it too. either learn to live with it from both or youre in for a miserable time

As of 26 June 2015, there are eighteen countries (Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Iceland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, the United States and Uruguay) and certain sub-jurisdictions allow same-sex couples to marry. Similar laws in Finland, Ireland and Slovenia are not yet in force. Polls show rising support for legally recognizing same-sex marriage in the Americas, Australia, and most of Europe.

Yes but you said "It would have been nice to see a '' It's non of my business '' option." That means you wanted an option to allow you to "vote" in the survey simply to say that you don't care about the survey... crazy.gif

I said it would be nice to see a '' Non of my business '' option on whether Thailand should legalise gay marriage.

Nothing to do with caring about the survey.

I called it wrong in my above post, keep going with the headphones and headbanging.

If one of them can prove, through thier chomosones that they are indeed of the opposite sex, then ok ! If not the thought of two men getting married is grotesque.

What do they say ? "I now pronounce you man and man ? Do what they want behind closed dorrs I dont give a shit, but MARRIED its a joke.

If one of them can prove, through thier chomosones that they are indeed of the opposite sex, then ok ! If not the thought of two men getting married is grotesque.

What do they say ? "I now pronounce you man and man ? Do what they want behind closed dorrs I dont give a shit, but MARRIED its a joke.

well it may be a joke to you but I doubt you'll be laughing long. its happening and folks like you are gonna have to go live in saudi arabia to escape it