SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize gay Marriage?

Scott

Should Thailand legalize gay marriage  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought they already had.

As same-sex marriage is not legal in Thailand, British citizens are not permitted to marry their Thai partners in the UK Embassy.

Seems a pity that partners who want to marry, must go to another country.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homosexuals should not be allowed to marry.

They should be allowed to be together in legally-recognized unions that are differentiated from heterosexual marriages by the state for the purposes of taxation and wealth redistribution.

I believe that divorcees, immigrants, singles and homosexuals should be taxed to benefit heterosexual marriages, especially those which produce children, in order to maintain a nationalistic demographic ideal. I think this is only fair, as something must be done to ensure that heterosexual marriages with children are encouraged for the sustainability of a nation and its culture.

This means that immigrant couples with children should not receive the same benefits unless at least one parent is a national. Homosexual couples with children should also not receive tax breaks.

Edit: BTW there are a lot more disgusting things in public than gay asscheeks. At least those guys look like they shower.

Edited by Hornyskunk

They should be allowed to be together in legally-recognized unions that are differentiated from heterosexual marriages by the state for the purposes of taxation and wealth redistribution.

I believe that divorcees, immigrants, singles and homosexuals should be taxed to benefit heterosexual marriages, especially those which produce children, in order to maintain a nationalistic demographic ideal. I think this is only fair, as something must be done to ensure that heterosexual marriages with children are encouraged for the sustainability of a nation and its culture.

This means that immigrant couples with children should not receive the same benefits unless at least one parent is a national. Homosexual couples with children should also not receive tax breaks.

good luck with that

No apology needed. The OP made a direct comparison with the US, I added the West as I did not want to construed as yank bashing.

Do you not think that your view of either being for it / or against it, is a very narrow minded viewpoint ?

Personally, I am neither for or against ANY marriage, gay or straight. A bit of paper does not mean that much to me, on the other hand, it will mean a great deal to others.

As a Westerner living in Thailand, I think it is an issue for the Thai's to discuss, dissect and come up with a plan. I also think that whatever has happened in the US / West should not have a bearing on whatever decision Thailand comes up with.

There is no doubt that there are Western gay men in Thailand. I would think that some have already commented on this very thread. Some may well even be in long term relationships.

Genuine question.

If Thailand were to not legalise gay marriage.

Would it really have a dramatic effect on your life, and if so, why ?

For me personally, since I'm not gay, a ruling either way would have no impact on me. But I do feel that everyone is entitled to equal rights. So from that perspective, gays should not be discriminated against on the issue of marriage (or anything else). If an American gay married couple were to move to Thailand, I'd imagine there would be significant impact on them if the Thai government did not recognize their marriage. And not just the USA. As more and more countries move to legalize same-sex marriage, it would be a real problem/mess if Thailand did not.

My only question is ,why do so many homosexual people have to flaunt their sexuality? ? why in Goss name cant they just go on witht their lives like us hetrosexuals do . we dont have a special flag ,or a familly pride march ,mind you the Russians have just come out with a familly pride picture ,fighting back maybe,lol

by the way i do believe their should be some sort of contract between same sex couples ,that is binding ,but marriage and kids ,sorry no to that ,if nature had intended same sex couples to have children it would have allowed it . and thats not hate ,just common sense .

My only question is ,why do so many homosexual people have to flaunt their sexuality? ? why in Goss name cant they just go on witht their lives like us hetrosexuals do . we dont have a special flag ,or a familly pride march ,mind you the Russians have just come out with a familly pride picture ,fighting back maybe,lol

by the way i do believe their should be some sort of contract between same sex couples ,that is binding ,but marriage and kids ,sorry no to that ,if nature had intended same sex couples to have children it would have allowed it . and thats not hate ,just common sense .

Plenty of heteros flaunt their sexuality.

A couple comments here... of all countries in the world where "gay marriage" should be legalized with no problem would be Thailand. I am sure Thailand has the largest population of LGBT and what is great about it is that no one bats an eye (except outsiders) to have a katoey or "Tommy" as the cashier at a Seven-Eleven or as a nurse in a Thai hospital. With the Thai culture, it seems to be more nonjudgemental. As my one Thai friend says (as I am wondering if the guy with a barret band holding his hair back is a "boy" or "girl"), "Don't worry about it. Its none of your business."

Next: Back the late 60's and early 70's the "equal rights" movement for women was happening and it was a bit overboard with protests ...bra burining, not wearing make-up... and boycotting various businesses. I look at the gay-movement like this. Twenty years from now the rainbow flag may not be flown or special boycotts by "gays" because they have finally been accepted in mainstream society. No big deal any more.

who cares, marriage is a farce anyway. "Married before the eyes of God" How about "Married before the eyes of Spiderman"? They're both about as real as each other in that they come from books.... How do Kateoys figure in this? How do a-sexual people go about getting married?

of course

Of course.....not.

Marriage is for men and women.

While i have no problem with what two men or women want to do in private ,When i was young if you were that way inclined you kept it to yourself and as my dad used to say ,i dont think he will ever get married ,he wears suede shoes , meaning he was that way inclined ,and everybody just got on with their lives ,now what puts me off gays ,is not the fact that they are gay ,but the ,Gay rainbow flag ,gay parades ,gays targeting cake shops that will not make them a wedding cake( i notice they never target Muslim cake shops)and all the other bullshit gays keep harping on about ,on and on and on .

please just get on with your lives and let us get on with ours ,quietly

And i know its hackneyd but yes i do have gay relatives , but they dont ram it down your throat (no pun intended)smile.png

Your Dad was right, I had Suede Shoes , a beige colour and I am Gay......

Now it's flip flops 24/7... Not suede of course....

A couple comments here... of all countries in the world where "gay marriage" should be legalized with no problem would be Thailand. I am sure Thailand has the largest population of LGBT and what is great about it is that no one bats an eye (except outsiders) to have a katoey or "Tommy" as the cashier at a Seven-Eleven or as a nurse in a Thai hospital. With the Thai culture, it seems to be more nonjudgemental. As my one Thai friend says (as I am wondering if the guy with a barret band holding his hair back is a "boy" or "girl"), "Don't worry about it. Its none of your business."

Next: Back the late 60's and early 70's the "equal rights" movement for women was happening and it was a bit overboard with protests ...bra burining, not wearing make-up... and boycotting various businesses. I look at the gay-movement like this. Twenty years from now the rainbow flag may not be flown or special boycotts by "gays" because they have finally been accepted in mainstream society. No big deal any more.

A lot of the tolerance is superficial.

Also consider that many Buddhists often consider being gay as a punishment for past life behavior, as does being handicapped.

From a western POV, that's pretty offensive, but alas, this isn't the west.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1421901413&section=14&typecate=06

There is no law against homosexuality in Thailand, unlike in some other countries in the region.

However, Thai society is less accepting of its own lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.

Among Thais between 15 and 24 years old, 56 per cent think homosexuality is wrong, according to recent research by Khon Thai Foundation, a non-profit organization.

By comparison, more than 70 per cent of young people in Japan, South Korea, the Philippines and western European countries think that homosexuality should be accepted by society at large, according to the Pew Research Center, an American think-tank.

Also if Thailand was as liberal as you suggest, it would have legalized same sex marriage long ago. Instead it's on a very slow path on legalizing same sex civil unions.

Each to their own. If some one wants to be a tail gunner then its their call. Just do not flaunt it in my face. I will not grovel over a lady in your presence and I expect the same behaviour in return. Unfortunately this is not always the case. If people are dicreet and not trying on the flamboyant bullshit, most associated with homosexuals, then all is good. I will not act butch and do not wish some bloke to do the feminine act to me. Respect each others place and then all is ok. Sorry if the descriptive word offended but the term "gay I do not agree with. Gay meaning happy and joyful. I can be happy and full of joy being with a lady but I can assure you that does not make me gay.

I agree with every single part of this post, but would add there should be no "adopting" of children by homosexuals.

Again, don't ask me to explain. there are lots of reasons for this as any fairminded person will know.

Before I dive for cover, I will respect opinions, and expect the same in return.

Yes, but it's clear that Thailand is going to go with the pussyfooting option first -- legalizing same sex civil unions. Probably within the next 5 or 10 years.

I suspect you may be right, but I hope not and as more and more countries recognize marriage as a right not based on being opposite gender, I hope Thailand will allow marriage rather than civil unions. Civil unions do not necessarily convey the same rights as marriage in many countries, and the US in the past has not recognized civil unions for any rights and benefits (including immigration).

Since I don't expect to get married (there's no one I feel so inclined to that with, of either gender) won't impact me. But it will impact a lot of people, and is the right thing....

who cares, marriage is a farce anyway. "Married before the eyes of God" How about "Married before the eyes of Spiderman"? They're both about as real as each other in that they come from books.... How do Kateoys figure in this? How do a-sexual people go about getting married?

right, but if a nation is idolizing a religion which does not support gay marriage, I call this hypocrisy. I am personally not against religion or gay people but just want to point out this clear hypocrisy in exchange for votes. In my opinion this is treason to one of the two fundamentals.

Edit: BTW there are a lot more disgusting things in public than gay asscheeks. At least those guys look like they shower.

Do they?

yes they can marry if they want, but give us a break man, enough from all those gays, lady boys, perverts of any kind,lesbians etc etc who have different sexual tendances..!just do what u want and leave the other in peace.

like john morrison said .............i am sick of this stinky boots!

coffee1.gif

Plenty of heteros flaunt their sexuality.

Totally agree with you......I've been to some weird and wonderful clubs in Europe, Hetro I may add, and they ain't for the faint hearted.....life is all about choice, I took the decision to walk through the Club Door, and it certainly finished my education..... Fun though....

So many anti-gay BIGOTS posting here.

Now, that is disgusting.

The survey asked a sober question about a LEGAL matter.

And then, predictably, out of their closets, from under their rocks, up from their RATHOLES, come the haters of sexual minority groups.

Sometimes they justify with religion, and sometimes not.

Edited by Jingthing

Should be legal. It's no one's else's business who anyone chooses to be with.

If children become involved, then it's everyones business, and don't ask me to explain, everyone knows.

your opinion of its affect on children means nothing

The reason straight people don't have marches or special flags is because they're not persecuted and mistreated by bigots as gay people are. If everyone was treated equally then there would be no need to march to raise awareness about the fact that they're not treated equally.

So that means you're against straight couples adopting then, or using IVF or any of the other methods to help people to start families who struggle to do it the "natural" way? We should just let nature take its course?