Dept of Highways to make sure roads don't collapse

webfact

Dept of Highways to make sure roads don't collapse

BANGKOK, 6 July 2015 (NNT) - The Department of Highways is trying to restore within a week the road along Raphephat Canal that collapsed four meters deep on Saturday.

Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntonghas has instructed the Department of Highways to inspect the damage and have the road repaired and open to traffic in one week.

Regional units of the Department of Highways have also been told to survey the roads in their jurisdiction and make sure they are not prone to erosion, which is said to have caused the recent road collapse.

The Ministry of Transport will finance their mission to assure road security. Deputy Director of the Department of Rural Roads Manop Susing has revealed that roads in Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani and Saraburi that had collapsed have already been fixed and open to traffic.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-06 footer_n.gif

Humm, previous roads that collapsed just a couple of days back have ALREADY been fixed? I'm sorry, but that's just scary as hell, especially the one that collapsed 3 & 4 meters deep, and over 100 meters long, in Saraburi.

I read somewhere once that Thai roads were among the most expensive to build in the world, per km. Remember thinking, they must be good quality and last a lot longer than Aussie roads.

Then I found out it was due to corruption, not attention to detail and quality control. whistling.gif

If there were competent civil engineers to control these road constructions.......and if also, there were competent civil constructors to carry out the works......these events would most likely not happen.

Site investigation is so simple.........but unfortunately with provincial road building.....dollars passed is so important.........and the result is more expense (that no-one cares about) is needed to rectify these faults.

Som nom nah..........!!

All the roads in Thailand are built the same way ;

White ground at the base ( it's argile and sand ), then red ground ( it's the same with glue gigglem.gif )

18989048161_3977b33049_b.jpg

Then this machine

18980830732_cb3475e241_b.jpg

Then asphalt in big trucks, but not more than 4 centimeters...

18986113385_24c84477d6_b.jpg

18365343383_550823d7b3_b.jpg

Again that machine

18980830732_cb3475e241_b.jpg

It's finished...clap2.gif

Maybe they must go to Italy to see how italian engineer can make motorway like Bologna -- Firenze through the mountain; ;

tunnel , viaduct, tunnel, viaduct and so on during about 120 kilometers.

I read somewhere once that Thai roads were among the most expensive to build in the world, per km. Remember thinking, they must be good quality and last a lot longer than Aussie roads.

Then I found out it was due to corruption, not attention to detail and quality control. whistling.gif

Any funds shortage take it out of the bloated tourist income pot it should be overflowing with 28 or is it 38 million hitting our shores. Ask TAT maybe the numbers have changed again(always going up) they seem to do so hourly.

average UK cost of building motorways is somewhere between £25M & £30M PER MILE!!

100mm of tarmac wouldn't last a month in the UK so it wont last very long at all in Thailand

so Som Nam Nah indeed!!

the same is said for education spending that has/is being done to get competative with the rest of the world work force.

much of the money spent in this country could be better used to feed the fire to cook on and save the price of LPG. safer also

average UK cost of building motorways is somewhere between £25M & £30M PER MILE!!

100mm of tarmac wouldn't last a month in the UK so it wont last very long at all in Thailand

so Som Nam Nah indeed!!

A good link, sorry it's in french but u can easily understand the numbers ! ( million euros for one kilometer built )

http://www.senat.fr/questions/base/1998/qSEQ981212598.html

" Finland (3,3 millions euros), Spain (3,8 millions euros), Sweden (5,8 millions euros), Luxembourg (8,8 millions euros), Germany (de 10,6 à 42,4 millions euros), France (13,9 millions euros), Italy (de 25 to 35 millions euros for motorway already built and from 35 to 45 millions euros for motorway not yet built ) and Switzerland (65,7 millions euros). "

U can see , it's very expensive in Italy and Switzerland because they have so many mountains . viaducs, tunnels, viaducs, tunnels ...

If the Dept. Of highways could " make sure the roads wouldn't collapse" why didn't they make sure THESE didn't !

They can't it's bull****.whats more the problem could get worse with the thousands of bore holes to provide water is instigated..mess with the water tables and you'll always have problems

Erosion and subsidence are very different things, the former usually caused by excess running water so unlikely to be the problem.

I understand what your saying although it's not strictly true...in times of big drought..like now...this can effect water tables and when the rains come this can cause erosion and then eventually subsidence..

The comment about there not being any competent civil engineers in this country is so true! I'm sure everyone must have noticed where a roadway meets an overpass there is a huge bump because the road wasn't allowed a gradual rise from further back so as not to cause such a sudden change in elevation. Every overpass I have ever driven on in Thailand is this way!

I once asked a group of workers who year after year refill the same potholes which have been the cause of several accidents if they were going to do an excellent job on that occasion. The response I got went something like this, " What are we going to do next year if the road stays intact?"

Thainess, and logical thinking!