Half price on taxis in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

uber.png

THE FINE PRINT
VALID ON UBERX RIDES REQUESTED BETWEEN 17.00 - 23.00, 6 - 9 JULY 2015 ONLY
PROMO CODE ONLY NEEDS TO BE ENTERED ONCE
CANNOT BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH OTHER PROMOTIONS, MOST RECENT PROMOTION APPLIES FIRST
MAXIMUM DISCOUNT PER RIDE ฿100
Visit the Uber Bangkok website: https://www.uber.com/cities/bangkok

Wasn't Uber declared illegal in Thailand last year, or is Uber-X something different and legal?

I think so... 'UBERx' and 'UBER Black' are the same company...

The outstanding issue was that the DLT claimed that the UBERx cars were not licensed or insured to carry fare paying passengers.

Most if not all the UBERx cars are privately owned with the standard licence (Black letters on White background plates).

UBER Black were not accused of operating illegally as they used licensed limos (White letters on Green Background plates) - Well, for the most part as I've also been in the unlicensed UBER Black cars (Black letters on White background plates).

Personally all of this is irrelevant to me - Without doubt UBER is the best taxi service available in Bangkok. UBERx often works out cheaper than a regular taxi, it collects me right from my Condo (no waiting on the side of the road for numerous rejections), both the passenger and the driver are registered (additional safety), cars are always newer, with seatbelts and perfectly clean. Drivers are polite 100% of the time and know exactly where they are going 80% of the time, if they are unsure they have GPS to rely on.

50% evening fares is an excellent promotion... which competes with GrabTaxi / Grabcar who are also offering the same promotion, although try and get a GrabTaxi to pick you up knowing he's only going to receive a 50% fare and you may need to increase the 'tip incentive' which is built into GrabTaxi's App.

Edited by richard_smith237

Disagree Richard....GrabTaxi is much better in my experience.

GrabTaxi uses the regular Bangkok taxi's we see everyday (so long as they are also signed up to GrabTaxi).

I would agree that GrabTaxi is also excellent if they could offer the following guarantees

- a Taxi which has seatbelts in the back seats

- a Taxi which is clean

- a Taxi who's driver who knows where he is going

- a Taxi who's driver can find my Apt easily (its easy to find, but the GrabTaxi's have difficulty following instructions whereas UBER seem smarter to follow directions when they call).

Using the GrabTaxi is still much better than flagging down a taxi - the GrabTaxi drivers seem to try harder, they know they are registered and that there is some level of accountability for the driver (and passenger who is also registered).

I've been using both for approximately 6 months - less issues with UBER but find UBER Black to have become a little pricey and UBERx to have become quite competitive.

Wasn't Uber declared illegal in Thailand last year, or is Uber-X something different and legal?

I think so... 'UBERx' and 'UBER Black' are the same company...

The outstanding issue was that the DLT claimed that the UBERx cars were not licensed or insured to carry fare paying passengers.

Most if not all the UBERx cars are privately owned with the standard licence (Black letters on White background plates).

UBER Black were not accused of operating illegally as they used licensed limos (White letters on Green Background plates) - Well, for the most part as I've also been in the unlicensed UBER Black cars (Black letters on White background plates).

Personally all of this is irrelevant to me - Without doubt UBER is the best taxi service available in Bangkok. UBERx often works out cheaper than a regular taxi, it collects me right from my Condo (no waiting on the side of the road for numerous rejections), both the passenger and the driver are registered (additional safety), cars are always newer, with seatbelts and perfectly clean. Drivers are polite 100% of the time and know exactly where they are going 80% of the time, if they are unsure they have GPS to rely on.

50% evening fares is an excellent promotion... which competes with GrabTaxi / Grabcar who are also offering the same promotion, although try and get a GrabTaxi to pick you up knowing he's only going to receive a 50% fare and you may need to increase the 'tip incentive' which is built into GrabTaxi's App.

Do the normal (non UBER) taxi's have full insurance coverage for passengers or do they just have the very basic coverage?

Please mark ads as ads so I don't waste my time.

Guessing you might have spent just as much time (or longer) actually posting your reply in the topic than you would have just closing the page and moving on.

For those who might be using the service, its hardly a waste of time to be informed of a promotional discount.

Do the normal (non UBER) taxi's have full insurance coverage for passengers or do they just have the very basic coverage?

As I understand it... this was the crux of the Department of Land Transports objection to UBER service...

i.e. Conventional Taxi's should all have insurance coverage of their car (and other cars) and their passengers.

In reality this isn't the case - I've personally been involved in two minor accidents with taxi's in Thailand (both faults of the Taxi driver)... neither of them had any insurance.

Of course, the DLT may be looking after their own interests when objecting against UBER....

If the DLT wants me to follow their rules and not use Uber, they can start making regular taxi drivers comply with the rules as well. ...which they won't and don't. What's the difference between regular taxi drivers who refuse rides or refuse to use the meter, and other drivers not using registered commercial taxi vehicles, esp. when the latter seem to be in better material condition?

Edited by hawker9000

Disagree Richard....GrabTaxi is much better in my experience.

GrabTaxi uses the regular Bangkok taxi's we see everyday (so long as they are also signed up to GrabTaxi).

I would agree that GrabTaxi is also excellent if they could offer the following guarantees

- a Taxi which is clean

- a Taxi who's driver can find my Apt easily (its easy to find, but the GrabTaxi's have difficulty following instructions whereas UBER seem smarter to follow directions when they call).

Using the GrabTaxi is still much better than flagging down a taxi - the GrabTaxi drivers seem to try harder, they know they are registered and that there is some level of accountability for the driver (and passenger who is also registered).

I've been using both for approximately 6 months - less issues with UBER but find UBER Black to have become a little pricey and UBERx to have become quite competitive.

I would generally agree. GrabTaxi seems best overall. However, I attempted to summon a GrabTaxi for a short trip last week during rush hour. 127 available taxis reported in the area, but none would accept the call, and I tried 3 times. During non-rush periods they operate quite efficiently. My only experience with Uberx was not good - a new driver (and car), but he got lost going to the airport.

- a Taxi which is clean

Richard,

I'm sure you already know this but GrabTaxi app also has "grabcar" option which is a black car (not a taxi). I've used both GrabTaxis and GrabCars in BKK and have very good experience with both. Taxis tend to be newer, cleaner and drivers well mannered and quiet, in my experience. GrabCar is equivalent of taking AOT limousine from the airport at fraction of the price (600 baht from Swamp to lower Suk including tollway).

- a Taxi which is clean

Richard,

I'm sure you already know this but GrabTaxi app also has "grabcar" option which is a black car (not a taxi). I've used both GrabTaxis and GrabCars in BKK and have very good experience with both. Taxis tend to be newer, cleaner and drivers well mannered and quiet, in my experience. GrabCar is equivalent of taking AOT limousine from the airport at fraction of the price (600 baht from Swamp to lower Suk including tollway).

Yep... the GrabTaxi App now has.....

- Taxi

- GrabCar (Economy)

- GrabCar (Premium)

- GrabBike

- GrabXL

I've only used the GrabTaxi and GrabCar (premium)... as with UBER Black - the GrabCar (premium) is a little pricey for 'around town' trips..

I've not yet tried the GrabCar (Economy) because its fairly new and I've always been very happy with UBERx.

That said - the next trip I find UBERx unavailable I'll be jumping straight to GrabCar (Economy) instead of upgrading to an UBER Black trip which pretty much doubles the cost.

I've found the GrabTaxi's to utilise any Taxi and not necessarily the 'newer vehicles (taxis)'... regardless, they rarely have seatbelt in the rear seats... Thus when using the GrabTaxi App I think GrabCar (Economy) might be suitable for my personal needs.

-----------

In light of the DLT's objection to UBERx (which utilises vehicles not licensed for public transport), I wonder if the GrabCar (Economy & Premium) use vehicles licenced for public transport (i.e. licenced Taxis (cars with a licence plate with a Black Letters on a Yellow Background) or licence Limos (white on green).....

This could screw up the legitimacy of the DLT's objections levied against UBER unless they also object to GrabTaxi (which, so far they haven't)... I wonder if there is any conflict of interest.

GrabTaxi App also uses Taxi's - which lets face it have been around for so long must they have some connection to those in the DLT issuing the licences in the first place !...

Uber sticks to its PR strategy: find some customers eager to praise its service to the population despite being illegal ...

So many taxi drivers are also outside the law (refusing fares; refusing to use the meter). So who cares about "illegal"?

Uber sticks to its PR strategy: find some customers eager to praise its service to the population despite being illegal ...

Ah but you fall foul in your cynicism.... 'find some customers eager to praise'.... the potential success of UBER is that there is unlikely to be any customers not happy with the service... For the same price as a Taxi, UBERx offers a better service.

The only criticism I have is that recently I was in quite a tiny car: Mitsubishi Mirage and the driver was quite new and uncertain of his direction, thus when following the Sat-Nav he was quite hesitant.

Regarding the legality:

- When taking a taxi, many times the driver of the vehicle is not the same guy in the licence photo... Legal?

- I've been involved in an accident with a Taxi (twice before), neither of the Taxi's had the Por-ror-bor (compulsory 3rd party) insurance... Legal?

- When taking a taxi (usually from an area of high tourist footfall), refusing the meter is a common occurrence (a common complaint)

- When flagging down a taxiTaxi's, at busy times or heading towards a busy area many will refuse the fare (a common complaint)

The reasoning for any illegality claim against UBER can be equalled by the conventional taxi's - thus it becomes a moot point, particularly in Thailand when companies such as UBER and GrabTaxi have improved services...

GrabTaxi and UBER only exist and can potentially prosper in Thailand because the existing Taxi system is doing such a good job of shooting itself in the foot.

In Balance: a minority of Taxi drivers are running it for the majority....'Most' Taxi's in Thailand are great, they are everywhere and cheap... but... so is the competition now, which also provides a more reliable, safer and cleaner service.

Edited by richard_smith237

Very amusing some of these attempts to defend the taxi drivers against their Uber competitors with the "legality" argument... And operating so brazenly with the various violations as they do, the "they deserve a raise" argument is almost equally laughable. Raise the meter fares, and they'll only ratchet up their fixed fare demands and still refuse to use their meters and still refuse fares when they want to. Let's see some good faith, THEN we can talk about higher fares!

This Uber service has been declared Illegal in Thailand except for a few cases (old people, disabled ...), that's it.

Two wrongs don't make one right, so no need to talk about taxi wrongdoings (already adressed by authorities, people just need to report them to clear the market of the foul practices) to justify and promote the use of this illegal service ...

If (or When) Uber becomes the main operator, I think price will go up, quality go down both for the customers and the drivers.

I didn't check beforhand but I think my first answer hit the right spot : Uber approach relies on customer stepping out to promote and defend their service, some jumped on it, just need to admit it ...

Edited by FarangKyAy

This Uber service has been declared Illegal in Thailand except for a few cases (old people, disabled ...), that's it.

Two wrongs don't make one right, so no need to talk about taxi wrongdoings (already adressed by authorities, people just need to report them to clear the market of the foul practices) to justify and promote the use of this illegal service ...

If (or When) Uber becomes the main operator, I think price will go up, quality go down both for the customers and the drivers.

I didn't check beforhand but I think my first answer hit the right spot : Uber approach relies on customer stepping out to promote and defend their service, some jumped on it, just need to admit it ...

I'm happy to admit that I defend UBER (and GrabCar), they offer a better service.

If their service were poor, they'd have no customers and no market. The existing Taxi service has created the gap in the market for UBER and Grabtaxi to fill.

I'm suspicious of the underlying reasons for branding them illegal... The Taxi lobby doesn't like competition.

You (FarangKaAy) are quite right two wrongs don't make a right... Perhaps we simply prefer the lesser of two wrongs...

Perhaps the DLT could make it easier to licence and insure private transport such as UBER when it is so clear their service is better...

I'm happy to admit that I defend UBER (and GrabCar), they offer a better service.

If their service were poor, they'd have no customers and no market. The existing Taxi service has created the gap in the market for UBER and Grabtaxi to fill.

I'm suspicious of the underlying reasons for branding them illegal... The Taxi lobby doesn't like competition.

You (FarangKaAy) are quite right two wrongs don't make a right... Perhaps we simply prefer the lesser of two wrongs...

Perhaps the DLT could make it easier to licence and insure private transport such as UBER when it is so clear their service is better...

"I'm suspicious of the underlying reasons for branding them illegal... The Taxi lobby doesn't like competition."

Exactly. FNO, Uber for me. (Well, at least until the taxi drivers learn to play by the rules. And I certainly don't expect that anytime soon.)

"Two wrongs don't make one right"

...except when in Rome, then do as the Romans do.

No, NOT addressed by authorities, who've only assessed some token penalties & a suspension or two, purely for naïve & gullible western consumption.