Two dead as cement truck plunges down Phuket's Patong hill

webfact

Two dead as cement truck plunges down Phuket's Patong hill
Nattha Thepbamrung

1436168658_1-org.jpg
The cement truck plunged down Patong Hill earlier today.

PHUKET: -- Two motorcyclists are dead after a cement truck plunged down Patong Hill earlier today.

Witneses reported that the truck was heading westbound into Patong when the driver lost control of the vehicle.

The truck rammed into a motorbike carrying two people before flipping onto its side.

The driver did not flee the scene as has been taken into custody by the police for questioning.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-dead-as-cement-truck-plunges-down-phuket-patong-hill-53084.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-06

That's 5 dead in 5 days by trucks. Plus the overturned cement truck in Kamala.

Anyone think we have a problem?

Yes, and only 3 days and less than 200 meters from the previous fatal accident. I had the misfortune of driving past both of these shortly after they occurred.

When riding the motorbike, I make a point not to be anywhere near a truck when rounding those bends.

That's 5 dead in 5 days by trucks. Plus the overturned cement truck in Kamala.

Anyone think we have a problem?

Yes, and only 3 days and less than 200 meters from the previous fatal accident. I had the misfortune of driving past both of these shortly after they occurred.

When riding the motorbike, I make a point not to be anywhere near a truck when rounding those bends.

I only drive a car (gave up driving the bike many years ago) and I too keep well clear of these trucks and coaches on the various hills around Patong (Kamala Road, Kathu Road, and Karon Road, plus Patak road over to Chalong. Nightmare - accidents on the verge of happening every day, some do happen.

Edited by LivinginKata

Well if nothing else, hopefully that piece of crap is a right off and will not be back on the roads again.

BUT then again it's like killing a fly. 5 new clones come to the funeral.

RIP the victims and all future deaths - nothing is surer there will be more!

<snip>

Well if nothing else, hopefully that piece of crap is a right off and will not be back on the roads again.

I have no doubt it will be patched up and back on the road in next to no time. Just have have a look at all the trucks and coaches with really bent chasis. They don't even make any attempt to straightened them out in a proper alignment jig.

And the carnage continues. You get numb to.

A big part of why I left the island, to many idiots on the roads,

Now in Bkk they seem to be way more polite and civilised with driving mannors,

My friend sent me pics of what was left of those 2 poor girls at the scene, almost threw up, it looks like there were 4 people on the bike. R.I.P.

<snip>

I have no doubt it will be patched up and back on the road in next to no time. Just have have a look at all the trucks and coaches with really bent chasis. They don't even make any attempt to straightened them out in a proper alignment jig.

Ok, let's have a look at "all the trucks and coaches with really bent chasis" that you seem to see. Got pictures? How do you establish the straightness, or otherwise, of a chassis without being in that business and getting under the vehicle or getting the body off it?

I just love the "Man bites Dog" statement, "The driver DID NOT flee the scene".

yes, only in Thailand is this the exception not the rule. Where else would that even be printed?

The thing is that was not the statement at all. There is a big difference between your over-emphasised "The driver DID NOT flee the scene" and "The driver did not flee the scene as has been taken into custody by the police for questioning.

<snip>

Ok, let's have a look at "all the trucks and coaches with really bent chasis" that you seem to see. Got pictures? How do you establish the straightness, or otherwise, of a chassis without being in that business and getting under the vehicle or getting the body off it?

OK let's take a look.... If you do spend much time driving, I think you must do so with a very blinkered outlook or rose tinted glasses. There are many vehicles on Thai roads travelling 'crabwise' without proper wheel alignment, which means they've never been repaired properly from a previous 'accident'.

For the life of me I do not see why cement trucks need to use this road

There must be batching depots on both sides

Build the bloody tunnel, & stop procrastinating.

Phuket tourism over the years must have made this country a fortune.

From what I see in Thailand it is constant take, take,take.

Time to stip, take a deep breath & get the infrastructure up to scratch before buying subs for example

Did not think I had to prove with photos. But it's easy to spot that the front wheels are not aligned with the back wheels. If behind the vehicle just have a look up each side from the back corners. Becomes obvious that the front wheels are clearly biased to one side if chassis not aligned.

Edited by LivinginKata

<snip>

Because they are so darn badly out of alignment!!!!

Either you have not spent much time driving here in Phuket

or you shouldn't be driving in Phuket because you have seriously impaired vision.

The alignment, sagged suspensions and nonfunctional shock absorbers are obvious to all who look.

My friend sent me pics of what was left of those 2 poor girls at the scene, almost threw up, it looks like there were 4 people on the bike. R.I.P.

dISGUSTING THAT YOUR FRIEND WOULD TAKE AND SEND SUCH A PHOTO.

dISGUSTING THAT YOUR FRIEND WOULD TAKE AND SEND SUCH A PHOTO.

well he is Thai and works for the rescue team,for them its normal, get over it. It won't change the fact that many many people in this Paradise should not be in charge of machines bigger than a toaster.

I just love the "Man bites Dog" statement, "The driver DID NOT flee the scene".

yes, only in Thailand is this the exception not the rule. Where else would that even be printed?

The thing is that was not the statement at all. There is a big difference between your over-emphasised "The driver DID NOT flee the scene" and "The driver did not flee the scene as has been taken into custody by the police for questioning.

English not your first language?

<snip>

They're everywhere. It's so common that it is practically the norm, and therefore you don't notice it any longer. I'll get pictures but beware, my sim card only holds 1000 pics.

Edited by Shot