Cost of Living in Thailand: How I Spend ฿74,031.83 Every Month

pinkpanther99

For all my frugality, I have never wanted or coveted others material possessions. When I decides to retire at 40 I knew there would be sacrifice and it was no problem bcz Id already made so many getting to that point.

I enjoy the contest: My ability to get the absolute best and highest quality, for the best price.

For me, a life not shackled to a lifestyle tethered to job, to be a free man - has been worth whatever rich, creamy food I cannot consume or some high bed I cannot place my head upon. Some ridiculous car...

The only material possessions that are worth paying dearly for are those that both hold value and last a lifetime.

I gave up on material possessions early in life, the pursuit of which and the people caught up in all of it was just an unhealthy scene.

I choose as my wife to spend on experiences, not that a lovely country home in Issan or Ranong largely off the grid, growing things and living free as many of you do is not one of thise unique, quality experiences.

If you are some single/divorced guy shoveling 40k in a flat, out in fancy overpriced restaurants and clubs. Low quality, ephemeral existence. Not seen much of the world, nor care to. Relocated from home directly to Thailand. Barely stepped foot in neighboring countries. Have no love in your life. Every woman is a chunk of meat to be weighed and assessed. I see that as a very empty life. I'm also throughly unimpressed with your fancy car as well, do the world a favor - take public transport. That is if you can stop thinking about yourself for a moment.

When the British housing market tanks and the gbp goes south, will be interesting to see how many of these jetsetters are left here.

What a crock...what gives you the right to judge how other people live their lives....

what give you the right to judge people who judge you? :)

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all my frugality, I have never wanted or coveted others material possessions. When I decides to retire at 40 I knew there would be sacrifice and it was no problem bcz Id already made so many getting to that point.

I enjoy the contest: My ability to get the absolute best and highest quality, for the best price.

For me, a life not shackled to a lifestyle tethered to job, to be a free man - has been worth whatever rich, creamy food I cannot consume or some high bed I cannot place my head upon. Some ridiculous car...

The only material possessions that are worth paying dearly for are those that both hold value and last a lifetime.

I gave up on material possessions early in life, the pursuit of which and the people caught up in all of it was just an unhealthy scene.

I choose as my wife to spend on experiences, not that a lovely country home in Issan or Ranong largely off the grid, growing things and living free as many of you do is not one of thise unique, quality experiences.

If you are some single/divorced guy shoveling 40k in a flat, out in fancy overpriced restaurants and clubs. Low quality, ephemeral existence. Not seen much of the world, nor care to. Relocated from home directly to Thailand. Barely stepped foot in neighboring countries. Have no love in your life. Every woman is a chunk of meat to be weighed and assessed. I see that as a very empty life. I'm also throughly unimpressed with your fancy car as well, do the world a favor - take public transport. That is if you can stop thinking about yourself for a moment.

When the British housing market tanks and the gbp goes south, will be interesting to see how many of these jetsetters are left here.

What a crock...what gives you the right to judge how other people live their lives....

what give you the right to judge people who judge you? smile.png

Order of judgement. It's like, I'm just sitting there minding my own business and you come along and hit me. So it's OK for me to smack the living crap out of you.

Getting through 75K a month is easy in Bangkok if you want a few comforts like Western food,

Western food is cheap ..............

2015-09-22 19.05.38-1.jpg

35bht a plate, and an hour of my time.

Getting through 75K a month is easy in Bangkok if you want a few comforts like Western food,

Sorry, that looks absolutely disgusting. If you prefer this over Thai food you seriously do not belong here. The lack of greens...let me guess, you're English or German 555.

There is one truth that will always remain and the Thai will tell you this without blinking an eye. Let the farang whinge on about the quality or whatever...The best Thai food comes from the street. So those b35 dishes many of you deride, you simply don't like Thai food, because that's what "Thai" food is.

Hell,I could have done a better job with my eyes closed insofar as that dreadful meal is concerned. Hope you don't smoke as well, you'll be dead at 65.

Whatever turns one on foodwise. You come across as a food fanatic with your "don't belong in Thailand if you don't like Thai food" rant. I love LOS, but I won't eat the food if it's got chillies in it, or raw crab etc. Street food, LOL. I prefer food cooked by someone that can wash their hands.

I eat lots of food without greens, but I'll also eat salads regularly.

BTW my wife eats real Thai food- the smell makes me retch and the things she eat would make me vomit if I looked. Most westerners have no idea of what real Thai food is.

Dead at 65- if the ride was great then I'd be happy with that. Who wants to live in a "rest" home? ( not me )

His rent seems in inline for an average condo/apt in BKK. The rest listed I could pare most of it out. Some of his expenditures make zero sense to me. I also read many references to Starbucks in follow on posts....Who in the hell drinks Starbucks in Thailand?.....Good Grief. That place is a WAY overpriced everywhere they set up shop and most cases its 3 to 4x more. There are so many nice little roadside Thai coffee/tea places that are 30 to 35 baht for a REAL drink. I personally like Inthanine. If you live in Thailand and want western food you better dig deep. That is a deal breaker for many.

Anyway Interesting read. It will always boil down to the individuals expectations and where one lives. If I take my current living expenses in the states and compare them to my Thailand living expenses, I live nearly 6x cheaper with no debt in Thailand.

Edited by JAFO

His rent seems in inline for an average condo/apt in BKK. The rest listed I could pare most of it out. Some of his expenditures make zero sense to me. I also read many references to Starbucks in follow on posts....Who in the hell drinks Starbucks in Thailand?.....Good Grief. That place is a WAY overpriced everywhere they set up shop and most cases its 3 to 4x more. There are so many nice little roadside Thai coffee/tea places that are 30 to 35 baht for a REAL drink. I personally like Inthanine. If you live in Thailand and want western food you better dig deep. That is a deal breaker for many.

Anyway Interesting read. It will always boil down to the individuals expectations and where one lives. If I take my current living expenses in the states and compare them to my Thailand living expenses, I live nearly 6x cheaper with no debt in Thailand.

The more farangs and farang products I see, the faster I run in the opposite direction. Because I know the prices are going to be higher. I can live well in Isaan or CM on 1/3 of what this guy spends and get the exact same lifestyle.

No one really cares how anyone spends 74K THB/month. No one really cares about how you allocate your funds to live. Choose a life and a lifestyle, and keep it to yourself. I hate to repeat myself, but no one really cares.

The cheap charlies seem to get wound up about this topic every time it comes up, so some obviously do care...

Stir fry with brocoli, aspasagus, green beans, carrots, shrimp, squid or chicken. Fryed with with olive oil and served with freshly harvested steamed jasmine rice.

Not always spicy, no fish sauce. What kinda food is that? Could be falang or could be thai...huh

Point is so many alternatives.

No one really cares how anyone spends 74K THB/month. No one really cares about how you allocate your funds to live. Choose a life and a lifestyle, and keep it to yourself. I hate to repeat myself, but no one really cares.

The cheap charlies seem to get wound up about this topic every time it comes up, so some obviously do care...

The only thing that gets me wound up is guys that like to boast how much money they can spend in a country where an average Thai earns between 9 and 15 thousand baht a month. Not cool.

The only thing that gets me wound up is guys that like to boast how much money they can spend in a country where an average Thai earns between 9 and 15 thousand baht a month. Not cool.

Don't see why it should get you wound up.

I don't get wound up when someone tells me he can rent a fan room for 3,000 a month, eat noodles and Thai sausage 3 times a day and enjoy all-day happy hour on the steps of his local Family Mart.

If he's happy like that, it's up to him

I like aircon, I like my own internet connection, I like lots of space, I like convenience in the form of close proximity to the shops, gym, transport connections and facilities, I like Thai food but I like farang food too.

Having those things costs but it's not like they cost an inordinate amount of money - 75K is only £1500 or $2100 a month.

I don't get wound up when someone tells me he can rent a fan room for 3,000 a month, eat noodles and Thai sausage 3 times a day .......

The only time I ever ate Thai sausage, I pooped in my pants for a week.

Kudos to those that can survive the Thai sausage experience ..................

I think many of us long standing posters have seen this financial post in one fashion or another. I actually enjoy them for a variety of reasons. There is always the guy that boasts that he shells out 100k baht a month to live and complains Thailand isn't so cheap. Then the other portion of posters state they can comfortably live spending only 15k baht. I have found during my time in Thailand that it is exactly what you make of it and is no different than your home country in many regards. You spend what you feel is comfortable. With that said however I do tend to get a chuckle out the posters saying that Thailand isn't so cheap after all. I have met a few in my time and what really happened was they could not let go of all the western things they had grown accustomed too. They gave no consideration to the fact that to get those things in a foreign country were going to cost significantly more.

Moving to a foreign country takes a lot of adapting. Moving to Thailand and hating the food is not such a smart plan, its likely your food bill alone will be far higher then your home country. I have always kind of laugh about the guys that move and immediately hire maids, other special services, stop doing their own laundry, wont wash their own car(if they have the means), have to have the biggest cable platinum package available, etc. Their living expenses soar and yet 9 out of 10 times these are the same guys that complain about Thailand isn't so inexpensive yet they never had any of those amenities where they came from. There are ways to live quite comfortably on a fraction of what it costs in a western country but you have to make concessions. Many aren't willing too hence why they spend 100K baht or more each month. For me that's about 3 months living and I live quite comfortable and do not ever go without. But I like Thai food and my wife is a helluva a good cook, I do not need a maid, I wash my own car and motorcycle, I do all my own work around the house, I have a bare bones internet pkg and download my own content. We have the basic satellite dish so my wife can watch her Thai TV shows Again its all in what one makes of it. biggrin.png

Went to my local food court this evening for grapow Gai and rice for 30bht.

Disaster ........ closed for 3 days.

Lucky the 7-11 was still open, MaMa Green Chicken Curry Pot Noodle for 13bht.

Howzat for a saving.

Pretty tasty too!

In fact, today has been a special day for saving money.

This morning went out for coffee (35bht) and spagetti (65bht) ..... sorry no spagetti.

So desperate for food, off to Central Festival KFC with 65bht in my pocket ...... special offer ... Zinger burger + free Pepsi 62bht (MASSIVE saving of 3bht and free drink)

Then walking out with my mate ....... SPECIAL offer Mango Ice cream cone, BOGOF 15bht, and my pal paid.

Don't get many days this good!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I think many of us long standing posters have seen this financial post in one fashion or another. I actually enjoy them for a variety of reasons. There is always the guy that boasts that he shells out 100k baht a month to live and complains Thailand isn't so cheap. Then the other portion of posters state they can comfortably live spending only 15k baht. I have found during my time in Thailand that it is exactly what you make of it and is no different than your home country in many regards. You spend what you feel is comfortable. With that said however I do tend to get a chuckle out the posters saying that Thailand isn't so cheap after all. I have met a few in my time and what really happened was they could not let go of all the western things they had grown accustomed too. They gave no consideration to the fact that to get those things in a foreign country were going to cost significantly more.

Moving to a foreign country takes a lot of adapting. Moving to Thailand and hating the food is not such a smart plan, its likely your food bill alone will be far higher then your home country. I have always kind of laugh about the guys that move and immediately hire maids, other special services, stop doing their own laundry, wont wash their own car(if they have the means), have to have the biggest cable platinum package available, etc. Their living expenses soar and yet 9 out of 10 times these are the same guys that complain about Thailand isn't so inexpensive yet they never had any of those amenities where they came from. There are ways to live quite comfortably on a fraction of what it costs in a western country but you have to make concessions. Many aren't willing too hence why they spend 100K baht or more each month. For me that's about 3 months living and I live quite comfortable and do not ever go without. But I like Thai food and my wife is a helluva a good cook, I do not need a maid, I wash my own car and motorcycle, I do all my own work around the house, I have a bare bones internet pkg and download my own content. We have the basic satellite dish so my wife can watch her Thai TV shows Again its all in what one makes of it. biggrin.png

I too never get how these mooks bitch about Thailand being expensive.

Rent of a similarly-sized apartment ALONE in a nice part of West London would cost double my ENTIRE monthly budget here.

Thailand? Expensive??

If you're educating kids at international schools, then yes, maybe but if you're single with no offspring, the only way it gets expensive is if you do the wine, women, song and drugs thing to excess

I like world class French food and Swiss chocolates, Japanese steak, Chinese Xiao Long Pao preferably at a Michelin starred restaurant eaten in the company of beautiful Thai women. I'm happy here. I would not be here without the things I like. Each to their own.

I like world class French food and Swiss chocolates, Japanese steak, Chinese Xiao Long Pao preferably at a Michelin starred restaurant eaten in the company of beautiful Thai women. I'm happy here. I would not be here without the things I like. Each to their own.

But didn't you also write this:

I had a picnic on the sidewalk in front on Nana Plaza at 4AM me and 4 ladies and a dozen entrees including bugs. We all sat there right on the sidewalk no chairs on bamboo mats and ate all drunk as lords. Right there in the middle of the sidewalk. Where else could you do that?

You're certainly a man of varied tastes!

Edited by Fabricus

But didn't you also write this:

I had a picnic on the sidewalk in front on Nana Plaza at 4AM me and 4 ladies and a dozen entrees including bugs. We all sat there right on the sidewalk no chairs on bamboo mats and ate all drunk as lords. Right there in the middle of the sidewalk. Where else could you do that?

You're certainly a man of varied tastes!

Renaissance Man

you need air con and farang food because you are all babies... without your 75k you will moan and cry all day long for your mamaaaaaa !

kids, it s time to grow up and become a real man.

smile.png

A real man has created options, accrued resources, makes decisions, and chooses his lifestyle.

A lesser man is dictated to by his failures, and attempts to conceal it with shallow bravado.

you need air con and farang food because you are all babies... without your 75k you will moan and cry all day long for your mamaaaaaa !

smile.png

A real man has created options, accrued resources, makes decisions, and chooses his lifestyle.

A lesser man is dictated to by his failures, and attempts to conceal it with shallow bravado.

From what I've seen it's mostly luck.

Although the boasters always want to portray themselves as better than everyone else.

All the big money I earned, luck not judgement.

All the money I lost, luck not judgement.

Lucky I came through it all at age 45, with enough to last the rest of my life.

I'd rather consider myself a lucky man, than boast to all that I was a 'real man'!

smile.png

From what I've seen it's mostly luck.

Although the boasters always want to portray themselves as better than everyone else.

All the big money I earned, luck not judgement.

All the money I lost, luck not judgement.

Lucky I came through it all at age 45, with enough to last the rest of my life.

I'd rather consider myself a lucky man, than boast to all that I was a 'real man'!

I dunno, sounds like sour grapes to me... If you had 74k a month to live on, you wouldn't be bitching at those that do... We make our own luck...

There is a reason it takes 65k a month to secure a retirement extention... Yes , we all know that it came done cheaper, but what about unplanned expenses that always seem to pop up?

Here is just one example that blows a 30k a month budget.. Over the last 3 months I've had 150k in dental work done... How does someone on a 30k budget swing that?

I dunno, sounds like sour grapes to me... If you had 74k a month to live on, you wouldn't be bitching at those that do... We make our own luck...

There is a reason it takes 65k a month to secure a retirement extention... Yes , we all know that it came done cheaper, but what about unplanned expenses that always seem to pop up?

Here is just one example that blows a 30k a month budget.. Over the last 3 months I've had 150k in dental work done... How does someone on a 30k budget swing that?

So you think an income of 75kBht/month is a lot of money?

People get wound up and confuse boasting with pointing out THEIR actual situation.

This guy spends 74K a month, he showed you exactly where he spends it.

Why do you think this is boasting?

I find this very interesting and informative.

No one should ever worry or get upset about what someone else has or does not have, or how they chose to spend their own money.

It seems those that always get upset are the ones that do not have or are trying to convince themselves living in Thailand with little money is a paradise.

Anyone can live in any country cheap.

The real question is are these people living cheap in Thailand because they chose to live this way or they have no choice?

How many people were living in a 1 room flat in their own country and eating street food everyday before moving to Thailand?

Truthfully, if you are really making it in Thailand, you have the same standard of living you did in your own country.

Own a real house, a car, eat what you want, money for gadgets, entertainment and holidays.

If you are skimping by on 15,000 baht a month, you are just kidding yourself.

People claim they are happy living like this when in fact they probably do not have any other options and have trapped themselves into that lifestyle.

We spend B20-30k/mth - 4 people - 2 vehicles - 5 cell phones - PAY TV sub - internet

Should we cut back on our spending?

Instead of throwing out a number, like 20 - 30k a month, show us how you spend this 20-30k each month in detail.

Then maybe you will get some believers.

Truthfully, if you are really making it in Thailand, you have the same standard of living you did in your own country.

Own a real house, a car, eat what you want, money for gadgets, entertainment and holidays.

As we can't own a 'real house' in Thailand, that makes a mockery of your post.

We paid 5000 for the rent of a small nice house, 2000 in utilities, 9000 for a car payment including the insurance, 3000 for AIA health insurance. We live real well spending no more than 30.000/month, cooking at home, few exceptions every month, and no alcohol. Because we travel around a lot, gasoline is a big expense. No kids, just a spoiled dog.

The same life in California will cost at least 4 times more.

No you are not living real well, you are surviving.

19,000 gone (5,000, 2,000, 9,000, and 3000) leaves you 11,000 baht (30,000 - 19,000 =11,000) for food and gas. (You mentioned utilities, how about mobile phones, internet, cable tv or are all of those not considered living well?)

Divide 11,000 by 4 weeks = 2,750 per week for food, dog food and gas.

You travel around a lot so spend on gas?

2,750 a week for food, dog food, gas, travelling and lodging does not equate to me to living real well.

One tank of gas should be at least 1,500 baht, that does not leave much for food or travel

Surviving yes. Living well No!

People get wound up and confuse boasting with pointing out THEIR actual situation.

This guy spends 74K a month, he showed you exactly where he spends it.

Why do you think this is boasting?

I find this very interesting and informative.

No one should ever worry or get upset about what someone else has or does not have, or how they chose to spend their own money.

It seems those that always get upset are the ones that do not have or are trying to convince themselves living in Thailand with little money is a paradise.

Anyone can live in any country cheap.

The real question is are these people living cheap in Thailand because they chose to live this way or they have no choice?

How many people were living in a 1 room flat in their own country and eating street food everyday before moving to Thailand?

People claim they are happy living like this when in fact they probably do not have any other options and have trapped themselves into that lifestyle.

Oh dear, you obviously don't get it.

Cars, houses don't make people happy.

I wasn't referring to the OP with the boasting comment. There are always plenty of posters come on threads like this to tell us how rich they are and that anyone doesn't have loads of cash is a loser. Sad that they need money and things to feel good about themselves.

Given that an average Thai makes about 15,000 or less a month, are they all unhappy?

An average Thai, though "poor" by the TV poster standards, is probably many times happier than said TV posters.

Given that an average Thai makes about 15,000 or less a month, are they all unhappy?

An average Thai, though "poor" by the TV poster standards, is probably many times happier than said TV posters.

To be fair, the Thai doesn't need to pay for school fees or health insurance ...... not to mention the savings he makes when he visits National parks!

We paid 5000 for the rent of a small nice house, 2000 in utilities, 9000 for a car payment including the insurance, 3000 for AIA health insurance. We live real well spending no more than 30.000/month, cooking at home, few exceptions every month, and no alcohol. Because we travel around a lot, gasoline is a big expense. No kids, just a spoiled dog.

The same life in California will cost at least 4 times more.

No you are not living real well, you are surviving.

19,000 gone (5,000, 2,000, 9,000, and 3000) leaves you 11,000 baht (30,000 - 19,000 =11,000) for food and gas. (You mentioned utilities, how about mobile phones, internet, cable tv or are all of those not considered living well?)

Divide 11,000 by 4 weeks = 2,750 per week for food, dog food and gas.

You travel around a lot so spend on gas?

2,750 a week for food, dog food, gas, travelling and lodging does not equate to me to living real well.

One tank of gas should be at least 1,500 baht, that does not leave much for food or travel

Surviving yes. Living well No!

It's good to see someone that doesn't need a lot of things to validate their existence.

Mobile phones, internet, cable tv don't make anyone happy and are not necessary for a good life- tv is 99% garbage.