As Thai dams cut water release, promise of rain next month

webfact

I worry about this a lot, not so much for myself because I only need small drinking water for one person, but I do worry about families and businesses that need a lot of water just to keep going. On one level I am hoping that this current crisis will be a wake-up call. It is already the worst situation for thirty years and it may well get a lot worse, and my only hope is that this will be a harsh reminder to those in charge, that they have to plan ahead and invest in reliable water systems for the future. This is one of the areas in governance where even the slightest laxness can have terrible consequences. Nature is sending us a reminder, and we would all do well to listen to her this time round.

I don't suppose stopping throwing water at Songcran will enter any Thai minds, no matter how bad any water shortage is.

I remember many years ago in Pattaya the annual waste of water took place followed a couple of days later by their special Songkran day and the very next day the mayor made an appeal for water conservation. biggrin.png TIT

Yes, of course, a global phenomenon ... crushing droughts .. can be resolved by restricting a few days of people throwing buckets of water.

Call us with your freshman humor ,, AFTER California stops watering the golf courses, and the pool at your condo is .... empty.

Just kidding, i know you guys can not pass up ANY opportunity to piss down Thailand's neck.

Enjoy this time, because NOTHING is funnier than a massive drought, shortage of food, and hard working families losing the farm .. right?

No one's laughing at the drought just pointing out the sort of people in charge and their attitude.

I don't know what you know about Songkran but the revels over the official days nationwide plus the extra days in some tourist areas amounts to much more than people throwing buckets of water. It may not prevent drought but it's still a massive waste of precious water or do you prefer the so called fun ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It rained here late yesterday arvo. The wife and her brother were working in the mango orchard. I saw the rain coming and rode out to see if they were packing up...they weren't! We all got drenched! But it was badly needed water for the trees. By the time we got back to the village we were shivering and in need of warm showers!

"It rained here late yesterday arvo."

Where? rolleyes.gif

Here ........tongue.png

Certainly NOT here in Khampaeng Phet province next to the Mae Wong national park sad.pngbah.gif . The clouds are building up again and it looks like it will rain, but that happened yesterday too and it didn't rain.

Edited by billd766

It rained here late yesterday arvo. The wife and her brother were working in the mango orchard. I saw the rain coming and rode out to see if they were packing up...they weren't! We all got drenched! But it was badly needed water for the trees. By the time we got back to the village we were shivering and in need of warm showers!

Where? rolleyes.gif

Here ........tongue.png

Not here... must have been there.

I worry about this a lot, not so much for myself because I only need small drinking water for one person, but I do worry about families and businesses that need a lot of water just to keep going. On one level I am hoping that this current crisis will be a wake-up call. It is already the worst situation for thirty years and it may well get a lot worse, and my only hope is that this will be a harsh reminder to those in charge, that they have to plan ahead and invest in reliable water systems for the future. This is one of the areas in governance where even the slightest laxness can have terrible consequences. Nature is sending us a reminder, and we would all do well to listen to her this time round.

I don't suppose stopping throwing water at Songcran will enter any Thai minds, no matter how bad any water shortage is.

Songkran will go on even if we have to use up every drop of water left. It relieves stress.

Showers ? Man your lucky we have had to revert back to using buckets from a tub. You would think we had gone back to 1981. We are bringing water up from the dam in jerry cans, the dam administrators wont turn on the pumps. You should hear the lazy kids of the village complaining about having to carry water, they have never had to do it before. I remember my wife and sisters (25 to 30 yo) in the early 80's, bringing up water (not because of drought, but because there was no pump), two 20 lt. jerry cans on a bamboo pole.

My God I hope it rains soon where we are in the Buriram panhandle. Some years of past droughts we have been able to fill our rice storage room with rice to feed the family for a year, but nothing for sale to the co-op. This year we are easy a 6 weeks behind our first planting. And not too much left in the Ban Kow.

"Showers ? Man your lucky we have had to revert back to using buckets from a tub"

Buckets from a tub, luxury, we have to rely on our neighbours spitting on us.

You are lucky, around here they charge for spitting on you. Getting pissed on is just too expensive.

Lookee, lookee you say? It's so dry round here folks's not got saliva to spit anything in the first place.

I remember many years ago in Pattaya the annual waste of water took place followed a couple of days later by their special Songkran day and the very next day the mayor made an appeal for water conservation. biggrin.png TIT
===================================================

Yes, of course, a global phenomenon ... crushing droughts .. can be resolved by restricting a few days of people throwing buckets of water.

Call us with your freshman humor ,, AFTER California stops watering the golf courses, and the pool at your condo is .... empty.

Just kidding, i know you guys can not pass up ANY opportunity to piss down Thailand's neck.

Enjoy this time, because NOTHING is funnier than a massive drought, shortage of food, and hard working families losing the farm .. right?

=========================================================

No one's laughing at the drought just pointing out the sort of people in charge and their attitude.

I don't know what you know about Songkran but the revels over the official days nationwide plus the extra days in some tourist areas amounts to much more than people throwing buckets of water. It may not prevent drought but it's still a massive waste of precious water or do you prefer the so called fun ?

=========================================================================

I think after five years (non stop) in the Kingdom ... I know a little bit about what goes on.

Only on Thai Visa can people be scolded for what they did in April ...

What is WRONG with these Thai People? Can't they look into their crystal ball and know the rainfall that has been like clockwork since the 12th century, which created one of the world's powerhouse food producers .. was not coming this year?

Don't tell me, let me guess, during the floods 2011, you were on here calling them stupid for not emptying the dams...right?

The people who need to "change attitude" are the constant Thai bashing Farang and Foreigners who come to the Kingdom, contribute relatively little, and then have the gall to make fun of the place, they have (wait for it) ... CHOSEN to come to.

Two words.

"Go Home"

Why am I being this way?

Could it be my because my wife's family is in the heart of this (formally) fertile place, and are suffering daily, worrying, wondering, if rain is on the way, to save a farm they have had, before America ... existed?

So really, stuff a sock in your pie hole...OK?

(PS: if you actually knew anything about Thailand, you would tread a little more gently on the very thin ice of ridiculing those who make water management policy)

Edited by Guest

I think after five years (non stop) in the Kingdom ... I know a little bit about what goes on.

What is WRONG with these Thai People? Can't they look into their crystal ball and know the rainfall that has been like clockwork since the 12th century, which created one of the world's powerhouse food producers .. was not coming this year?

Don't tell me, let me guess, during the floods 2011, you were on here calling them stupid for not emptying the dams...right?

The people who need to "change attitude" are the constant Thai bashing Farang and Foreigners who come to the Kingdom, contribute relatively little, and then have the gall to make fun of the place, they have (wait for it) ... CHOSEN to come to.

Two words.

"Go Home"

Why am I being this way?

Could it be my because my wife's family is in the heart of this (formally) fertile place, and are suffering daily, worrying, wondering, if rain is on the way, to save a farm they have had, before America ... existed?

(PS: if you actually knew anything about Thailand, you would tread a little more gently on the very thin ice of ridiculing those who make water management policy)

My My we are touchy and the ' go home ' jibe is wasted as its been done to death.

Is the predicted current rice crop enough to feed the nation? If so, distribute it to feed the people who won't have a rice crop this year and don't export any.

You have a big heart and this is a noble idea.... too bad markets do not work this way.

If you had fields full of rice, and prices were soaring due to the shortage, would you "give it away?"

Or should the government just print money, and hand out rice? To every Thai, in equal portions?

Two words.

"Go Home"

Why am I being this way?

bangkokequity Thais are now reaping the seeds that they have sewn...

Really doesn't matter which current issue you want to talk about, over fishing, corruption, the weather / water management, road accidents, law and order, governance, airways and airport management, etc... Thai's has accepted this way of life and now so many problems are coming to ahead all at the same time. They have to accept responsibility for their past actions and mismanagement.

btw "Can't they look into their crystal ball and know the rainfall that has been like clockwork since the 12th century, which created one of the world's powerhouse food producers .. was not coming this year?" YES you can!!!

Showers ? Man your lucky we have had to revert back to using buckets from a tub. You would think we had gone back to 1981. We are bringing water up from the dam in jerry cans, the dam administrators wont turn on the pumps. You should hear the lazy kids of the village complaining about having to carry water, they have never had to do it before. I remember my wife and sisters (25 to 30 yo) in the early 80's, bringing up water (not because of drought, but because there was no pump), two 20 lt. jerry cans on a bamboo pole.

My God I hope it rains soon where we are in the Buriram panhandle. Some years of past droughts we have been able to fill our rice storage room with rice to feed the family for a year, but nothing for sale to the co-op. This year we are easy a 6 weeks behind our first planting. And not too much left in the Ban Kow.

"Showers ? Man your lucky we have had to revert back to using buckets from a tub"

Neighbors spitting on you?? Our neighbors went dry - the cows are using them for salt licks. wai.gif

Spitting on you?? luxory, we have got the soi dogs to pee on us

Two words.

"Go Home"

Why am I being this way?

My My we are touchy and the ' go home ' jibe is wasted as its been done to death.

Although I am busy, too busy really, to dual in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, may I ask ...

Can you please list your "top 10 reasons you ... personally ... love Thailand"

If it starts with (1) Cheap P****Y ...please ... don't bother.

(PS: "go home' is not a jibe .. it is simply a resolution to your problem)

Edited by Guest

Two words.

"Go Home"

Why am I being this way?

Although I am busy, too busy really, to dual in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, may I ask ...

Can you please list your "top 10 reasons you ... personally ... love Thailand"

If it starts with (1) Cheap P****Y ...please ... don't bother.

(PS: "go home' is not a jibe .. it is simply a resolution to your problem)

I'm too busy to bother with someone who has nothing to offer but cheap insults and their opinion being the only one that counts.

Two words.

"Go Home"

Why am I being this way?

Really doesn't matter which current issue you want to talk about, over fishing, corruption, the weather / water management, road accidents, law and order, governance, airways and airport management, etc... Thai's has accepted this way of life and now so many problems are coming to ahead all at the same time. They have to accept responsibility for their past actions and mismanagement.

btw "Can't they look into their crystal ball and know the rainfall that has been like clockwork since the 12th century, which created one of the world's powerhouse food producers .. was not coming this year?" YES you can!!!

Had to read that one twice, I thought you were talking about California!

Funny, do not recall them seeing their nightmare drought coming. Ditto Oz.

Perhaps we should all consult you ... Grand Wizard ... you seem to know e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g ... or is that just the booze (before14:00) talking?

Edited by Guest

Two words.

"Go Home"

Why am I being this way?

Thanks for your in-depth and thought provoking response... wai.gif

Two words.

"Go Home"

Why am I being this way?

Yeah, it sucks when you say something as stupid as ... They should have seen this statistical anomaly coming .. (and the Brain trust in America missed it too) ... and someone calls you on it.

So it is EASY to predict these events, and folks just elect NOT to?

California saw this coming, did nothing about it, and made no provisions for it. THAT is your belief system?

You win dude, i have things to do, have a pint for me ... or two, or three, or four, or as many as you normally have, before ... sunset.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, it sucks when you say something as stupid as ... They should have seen this statistical anomaly coming .. (and the Brain trust in America missed it too) ... and someone calls you on it.

California saw this coming, did nothing about it, and made no provisions for it. THAT is your belief system?

You win dude, i have things to do, have a pint for me ... or two, or three, or four, or as many as you normally have, before ... sunset.

You do realise we are in Thailand NOT California??? Why to obsession with America?? This story is about Thailand!

btw California had started to manage their drought as early as December 2013 - http://gov.ca.gov/docs/12.17.13_Drought_Task_Force.pdf

edit: last line of my post added...

Edited by bongoz

Where? rolleyes.gif

Here ........tongue.png

Certainly NOT here in Khampaeng Phet province next to the Mae Wong national park sad.pngbah.gif . The clouds are building up again and it looks like it will rain, but that happened yesterday too and it didn't rain.

I lied.

We had 3 minutes of rain about 13.30. Enough to wet the concrete but not enough for a puddle or a piddle even.

Is the predicted current rice crop enough to feed the nation? If so, distribute it to feed the people who won't have a rice crop this year and don't export any.

You have a big heart and this is a noble idea.... too bad markets do not work this way.

If you had fields full of rice, and prices were soaring due to the shortage, would you "give it away?"

Or should the government just print money, and hand out rice? To every Thai, in equal portions?

After being through several droughts over the last 30 odd years, there is generally enough rice to feed the nation (that is urbanites and those folk who do not have farms). However it will be more expensive. My family, like many others, are not sure yet if we will have a surplus to sell to the co-op, or just what we need to feed an extended family of 10 members, for 2016.

You do realise we are in Thailand NOT California??? Why to obsession with America?? This story is about Thailand!

btw California had started to manage their drought as early as December 2013 - http://gov.ca.gov/docs/12.17.13_Drought_Task_Force.pdf

I am sorry this went over your head.

My thesis is that I am just so tired of the old, stale and predictable Thia bashing here, even if the most ridiculous excuses must be dragged out as the platform for them

Example: Thai People, and their leaders are stupid for celebrating Songkran. Yes, Songkran .. the New Year Celebration, where traditional water pouring is meant as a symbol of washing away all of their sins and bad luck

Stupid stupid stupid people, yes?

And DOUBLY stupid because they did not know that three months later, the rains that have been coming for 9 centuries, would be late .. or worse...not happen at all (Time will tell for the rest of us, YOU , of course, already know what will happen, and keep it to yourself .. yes?)

I do have the ability to see things from both sides, and yes, if I were n your shoes, might say "Dude, it is a joke, chill out."

I think it is because, as i stated, but you would not acknowledge or RESPECT, my family is suffering from this drought .. in a meaningful way. But, hey .. don't let that stop you.

Anyway .. what went over your head, is that if predicting drought is so easy, why did the Eighth largest economy ... IN THE WORLD .. screw up so badly?

But you don't follow. Why? That is not funny, and does not support your thesis that Thai people are somehow inferior.

When the Kingdom has a drought = STUPID

California = An unfortunate and unforeseeable event.

Anyway, do not worry your pretty little head.

The fact is, you have thousands of like minded Foreigners on this site.

Wait for the ironic part.

Thai Visa has become a loud chorus degrading and demonizing Thailand, and the very people fueling that engine 24/7 .. are the people of Thai Visa.

Tourists considering travel to the Kingdom check this site, and after being scared witless by farang- Kinok who live in the red light districts, and know little to nothing about THAILAND .. the tourists ... then do not come.

Punchline, the people who are helping scare away the traditional tourists of the past (Do not think Thai Visa is translated to Chinese, is it?) ... Those people, mock the government for low tourist numbers!!!!!!!!!!

That is a special kind of stupid. Farang Stupid.

Thailand, they invite you to their home, and you S*** on the roof.

Yes.

Please.

Go Home.

I guess this is the day I just have had enough. Honestly, if I were in charge of tourism, I would petition the current leader to shut this site down.

Edited by Guest

Last night in Maechan ( between C/Rai and the northern border ) it poured with rain from 7pm 'till about 5 this morning , only one in my pub was me 5 girls and 1 ladyboy and 1 tom. I parked my car switched off wipers and lights ,opened the door and one of the staff was there with a very large brolly waiting. Surrounded here by mountains and our water is pumped up from 30 meters down, Ah ,life in the provinces.

Last night in Maechan ( between C/Rai and the northern border ) it poured with rain from 7pm 'till about 5 this morning , only one in my pub was me 5 girls and 1 ladyboy and 1 tom. I parked my car switched off wipers and lights ,opened the door and one of the staff was there with a very large brolly waiting. Surrounded here by mountains and our water is pumped up from 30 meters down, Ah ,life in the provinces.

Happy you got some rain ... good news. Hope it continues, and move over the other provinces who need it badly.

Happy that the miserable farming conditions keep you hip deep in bar girls and labyboys.

Sure the parents down on the farm really enjoy this life for their daughters.

So funny. Yes?

According to the survey of the Centre for International Trade Study of the University of Thai Chamber of Commerce, Thai farmers have the least profit from rice sales because of higher production cost.

So funny.

So tired of this. So tired of Thai Visa being the place to log in to laugh about the sex trade.

Children sold for sex.

So so so funny.

not.

No worries gents, signing off...had enough of this tripe for one day. had hoped to learn something about the drought problem.

When even a good news story about rain in the north has to involve sex for sale, it is a good time for me to take some time out.

Really .. it is enough for today.

Have a good day ... try to least find girls who would be above the legal age limit in your home country.

Hope that is not too much to ask.

why is Thailand different from other countries ,they give one of the reasons for road collapses is a soil base not compressed enough you don't use soil as a base for a road its usually stone chippings compressed and covered in tar .

Maybe the Thais did not get invaded by the Romans and did not have their road building skills. Come to think of it 'what have the Romans ever done for us'

I am going to file this under "You can't make this **** up.

Really Really?

Your evidence of "forward thinking" ... "Saw this coming" ... "Nailed it!"

Is that a YEAR after one of the driest years EVER, Jerry Brown decided to look into it, and possible, just maybe, DO something?

Talk about leading from behind.

So let me see if I get this, Thai Leaders are imbeciles because they allowed a water festival 3 months ago, and are a few weeks into a bad dry spell...

Jerry Brown is a genius ... because after a year of no rain he wondered aloud if they should sound the "Drought Warning"

Amazing reasoning Sir.

Congratulations, you win the internet.

post-145190-0-52556300-1436258262_thumb.

Edited by Guest

Why promises for rain?

"Since March 1 [2015], the Department of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation within the Irrigation Department has conducted 3,100 cloud-seeding operations, bringing rainfalls in 95 percent of target areas. Seven million cubic meters are added to four main dams along the Chao Phraya River daily. The Department has also planned to expand its rain-making mission in Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan provinces ..."

The Government should be guaranteeing rain.

Just add more planes and locations. Like magic all Thailand's water problems will be resolved. wai2.gif

Duh? You can overcome nature with magic? Welcome Harry Poothead!