GrabTaxi app on its way to Phuket

webfact

GrabTaxi app on its way to Phuket
Nattha Thepbamrung

1436182348_1-org.jpg
Taxi drivers will be given an education on the GrabTaxi service next Tuesday (July 14).

PHUKET: -- The GrabTaxi phone application will soon be available in Phuket and those taxi drivers who wish to join will be educated on the service next Tuesday (July 14).

The announcement was made by Governor Nisit Jansomwong, who has long backed a plan to bring the app to Phuket, at a meeting held today (July 6) to give an update about Phuket̕s public transportation projects.

“Following a visit by GrabTaxi representatives to Phuket on Friday (July 3), next Tuesday the land transport office will provide education to those taxi drivers who are interested in joining the GrabTaxi service.

“We do not intend to increase the number of taxis in Phuket just give the taxi drivers already here the opportunity to work via the application.

“Introducing the application will also make it easier for the public to access the taxi service”, said Gov Nisit.

“Ambassadors from many countries often ask me about Phuket̕s public transportation and I think now is the right time to manage the taxis on the island,” he added.

However, those in attendance at today̕s meeting accepted that there must be a meeting among all Phuket taxi operators including green plates, metered taxis and those who want to join GrabTaxi.

“There could be possible problems when a taxi is called by the application to places that are covered by green plate taxis and we have to make understanding among them,” said Gov Nisit.

Meanwhile, it was also announced at the meeting that the 87 tuk-tuks which are to be introduced to Phuket Town are nearly ready to roll out.

The tuk-tuks previously run around the beach areas, hoewever, they done so without a permit. Therefore, the land transport office decided to grant them permits and bring them to an area which lacks public transport. (See story here)

“These tuk-tuks will only run in the Phuket Town and Old Town areas. Their boudary will be bypass road and Kwang Rd on Chao Fa West.

“These tuk-tuks will be part of a cooperative and the car and its licence will belong to the cooperative. Therefore, if someone stops working the vehicle and licence will be returned to the group. This will help cut problems where an individual gets a licence, makes their money and then sells the licence to other illegal drivers.

“The tuk-tuks will be painted yellow and red and there will be a flat rate fee of B30, concluded the Governor.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/grabtaxi-app-on-its-way-to-phuket-53087.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-07

“There could be possible problems when a taxi is called by the application to places that are covered by green plate taxis and we have to make understanding among them,” said Gov Nisit. Why do these guys have ownership of specific areas? GrabTaxi makes it fair for the public and controls the pricing, it has worked out well in BKK where I almost always use the service now. The slight surcharge offsets the low quality service that I would normally get from a street hire.

I had the same thought, but couldn't seem to devise a comment that wouldn't be construed as insulting to the Gov!

Whenever something that is for the good of the general public is at odds with the various "associations" and "influential persons" in Phuket, we all know who's interests come first.

I especially got a good chuckle out of "... I think now is the right time to manage the taxis on the island."

These are two initiatives that could break open the present transport situation.

Break it open to whom????

The vast majority of tourists coming to Phuket now are Chinese, and they have their own coach buses.

Even if it did "break open the present transport situation" here, it's all too little, too late, for Phuket.

These are two initiatives that could break open the present transport situation.

Or dare I say it ... break the drivers heads ...

I don't think so, there is too much pressure on the traditional Phuket forces for that at the moment.

Initiatives to break open the distorted taxi market on Phuket are always good. I only wonder if the grabtaxi taxi's will be charging normal rates (as every else in the country) or the "adjusted" rates which apply only to Phuket (which is much higher than the normal rates).

Edited by Bob12345

I don't think so, there is too much pressure on the traditional Phuket forces for that at the moment.

I do not share your optimism. Most sectors of Phuket's tourism business are struggling to survive. I see the Phuket taxi mafi rising to this challenge in their usual way. I wish you are correct stevenl ... but I don't see it your way.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but GrabTaxi is a SE Asia-based company, while Uber is an American company, which may partly explain why they've been allowed to operate in Thailand.

I really welcome any attempt to try to do something to improve the transport situation in Phuket. Especially the ability to call a meter taxi for pickup at one's home. Unfortunately, it appears that GrabTaxi will have no impact on the artificially high meter rates in Phuket, and in fact will make the cost of a ride minimally higher. It may, or may not work out in the long run, but it's certainly worth a try.

The next logical step would be to implement the same "baht buses" (yellow and red 30 baht tuk-tuks) planned for Phuket Town in the beach towns. Don't think that'll happen anytime soon, though.

How is this different than UBER?

UBER got the boot after only a few weeks.

I think I know the answer, but...............

UBER uses private vehicles which are not subject to the insurance and regulations that the taxi industry is. Basically it is a private car with the owner being the driver. GrabTaxi uses the existing registered taxis, the ones that are normally(this is Thailand) licensed to carry passengers.

One area of debate with UBER has been that if the car is involved in an accident and you are injured, insurance does not have to pay, that is what I have understood, someone may be able to offer more informed information.

I do not share your optimism. Most sectors of Phuket's tourism business are struggling to survive. I see the Phuket taxi mafi rising to this challenge in their usual way. I wish you are correct stevenl ... but I don't see it your way.

I agree.

With every baht getting harder to squeeze out of what's left of the western tourists coming here, I can only see "the association" getting tougher on any, and all competition, in transport here.

How is this different than UBER?

UBER got the boot after only a few weeks.

I think I know the answer, but...............

UBER uses private vehicles which are not subject to the insurance and regulations that the taxi industry is. Basically it is a private car with the owner being the driver. GrabTaxi uses the existing registered taxis, the ones that are normally(this is Thailand) licensed to carry passengers.

One area of debate with UBER has been that if the car is involved in an accident and you are injured, insurance does not have to pay, that is what I have understood, someone may be able to offer more informed information.

What guarantee do you have insurance has been paid on a "registered taxi" on Phuket?

• 2 weeks later...

SO, the service has been launched, anyone tried it yet? Apparently, fares are 2-3 times cheaper than ones listed at the airport stands... How are they gonna survive now? smile.png

This very day, on the Rawai seafront road, as I awaited transport back home, five large buses all bearing the same resort name carrying Chinese passed as I stood immediately behind some lazy arse 'taxi' driver lying in his hammock with his insignia emblazoned SUV parked at hand. He knew I wasn't about to ask him a fare and he wasn't even going to ask me if I wanted a ride, because he knows I'm not a tourist and can't be ripped off. So I would say, Dream On ..

Edited by dageurreotype