Banks

lormis789

I was wondering if there is any truth with regards to how long can you leave a bank account not used in Thailand before the government takes it.In Australia it's three years and if it is not used they take it,can get it back but takes months.Thanks in advance for any info.

i think its about a year of no use

however i would think the bank would do this alone not a government issue

It's more than a year definite, I used to have an old Bank of Asia account not used in years, at least 8 years, the bank was taken over by UOB and I was still getting letters from UOB upto about 18 months ago telling me there was Thb 125 in the account LOL

It seems to be a problem of sufficiant credit or movements on your bank accounrt.

Once I had an account with SCB. When KTB installed an ATM in our village, I opened an account in its office, and "forgot" the SCB account - no new credits or debits.

1 year later I received a SCB letter informing me about a fee of 200 THB. Reason: I didn't have any mouvements within 1 year and the credit being below 2.000 THB (I don't remember exactly, if this was the limit). They also informed me that this fee would be deducted monthly from my account if I didn't change anything.

So, if you didn't use your Thai bank account for some time then call your Thai bank for information about a sufficient sum of money on your account without losing it.

Edited by puck2

In 2003, Thai Farmers Bank changed its name to KASIKORNBANK or KBank

A fellow went with his "Thai Farmers Bank" passbook to a Kasikorn branch in 2012.

He had not been using the account for "many" years and believed that it would be "gone".

It was a low amount of money but no rise of an eyebrow to get a new Kasikorn passbook for the account.

------------

Hell, what countries are these who take unused accounts after one or three years????

Really???

Swiss banks are now researching about unused accounts from the 1940s who might have belonged to Jews killed in Germany.

A new law requires the banks to check accounts existing before 1955 and are without any news/contact since 1965!