Thai schools told to screen foreign English teachers for paedophilia

webfact

Well we seem to be focusing on British people only but I agree with the idea.

Might be better to catch them at immigration.

Yes, isn't is strange that the British Foreign Office are concentrating on British people!?!??!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qualified is the key word here. The vast majority of farangs teaching English fit one qualification, they speak English sort of. So, why is anyone surprised that simply speaking English will get you the job, that some perverts slip though the net. Upgrade the qualifications and stop short cutting on what Thai education needs most, good teachers with real qualifications. How about this idea, let farangs on retirement visas, teach part time. Most of us are not pedophiles and ready for this... we have qualifications.

Native English Teachers need a bachelors degree to teach here and you want to upgrade the qualifications, I'm assuming to B.Ed.

How many retirees have Education degrees? If Thailand demanded Ed degrees, English learning will plummet. The schools cannot afford to pay, and there aren't enough B.Ed.'s willing to work for peanuts.

Those of us teaching are here for listening and speaking, pronunciation and enunciation.

If our qualifications are good enough to teach ESL in language schools, community colleges, and other immigration organizations, why do so many on TV dismiss us as "unqualified" ?

I don't speak English "sort of" I bloody well speak it!!

Shouldn't that be, I bloody speak it well !!, don't end a sentence with a preposition. laugh.png

Old Grammar myth.

It is perfectly acceptable in Modern English.

In simple terms:

Now EVERYBODY from the UK is a suspect ! [with full intention of the UK embassy !]

[Not only teachers ... everybody !!!]

EVERYBODY needs to be monitored to make people FEEL SAFE !!!

... a simple way to justify the full surveillance of ALL UK citizens. [later on ALL people]

Sadly nobody seems to understand this ... create a problem, offer the solution !

More surveillance, more government control ... and people fall for it all the time.

Foreign English- teachers...because Thais could never do such a thing!

blink.png

---------------------------

Just curious..... how do you "screen" anyone for an "interest" in paedophilia?

Makes me think of that famous scene in the Movie, "A clockwork Orange".

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Qualified is the key word here. The vast majority of farangs teaching English fit one qualification, they speak English sort of. So, why is anyone surprised that simply speaking English will get you the job, that some perverts slip though the net. Upgrade the qualifications and stop short cutting on what Thai education needs most, good teachers with real qualifications. How about this idea, let farangs on retirement visas, teach part time. Most of us are not pedophiles and ready for this... we have qualifications.

Native English Teachers need a bachelors degree to teach here and you want to upgrade the qualifications, I'm assuming to B.Ed.

How many retirees have Education degrees? If Thailand demanded Ed degrees, English learning will plummet. The schools cannot afford to pay, and there aren't enough B.Ed.'s willing to work for peanuts.

Those of us teaching are here for listening and speaking, pronunciation and enunciation.

If our qualifications are good enough to teach ESL in language schools, community colleges, and other immigration organizations, why do so many on TV dismiss us as "unqualified" ?

I don't speak English "sort of" I bloody well speak it!!

Shouldn't that be, I bloody speak it well !!, don't end a sentence with a preposition. laugh.png

Old Grammar myth.

It is perfectly acceptable in Modern English.

Correct, but did you note the smiley at the end?

Edited by Artisi

Why dont the authorities carry out this check before they issue a WP to the individual?

You are required to produce a police certificate when you apply for your type B visa.

Why dont the authorities carry out this check before they issue a WP to the individual?

You are required to produce a police certificate when you apply for your type B visa.

Some immigration departments don't insist on it. Also for those people that have been in Thailand a long time, where do they get the police certificate?

blink.png

You don't seem to be able to read well, you're not an English teacher are you?...

"The warning was revealed by the assistant to the Minister of Education Dr Thirakiat Charoensethasilpa after being informed by the British embassy in Bangkok."

blink.png

You don't seem to be able to read well, you're not an English teacher are you?...

"The warning was revealed by the assistant to the Minister of Education Dr Thirakiat Charoensethasilpa after being informed by the British embassy in Bangkok."

I imagine that the UK warns a country when someone on the Sex Offenders list travels to it!

For all we know there may be several each year.

Who Goes on the Sex Offenders' Register

Remember that what constitutes ‘sex offender’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘paedophile’. A wide variety of people are placed on the Sex Offenders' Register every year, after receiving a caution or being convicted of an offence. This could be, for example, a man who received a caution for having smacked a girl on the buttocks while she was passing him on the street, a 22-year-old female teacher who had sexual intercourse with her 15-year-old student, or at the very serious end of the scale, someone like Roy Whiting, who killed Sarah Payne.

Similarly, sex offenders are on the Sex Offenders' Register for differing lengths of time, depending on the type of offence:

A jail term of 30 months to life = remain on the register indefinitely (this is normally for life.)A jail term of 6 to 30 months = registration for 10 yearsA sentence of less than 6 months = on the register for 7 yearsA community order sentence = on the register for 5 yearsA caution issued = on the register for 2 yearsWith the exception of prison sentences of 30 months or more, minors (offenders under the age of 18) will have their registration period halved.

You will note that even people with a caution go on the list!

Edited by casualbiker

Are qualified English teachers exempt?

Are there any?

Plenty in the international schools.

However they all have to produce police certificates as a condition of being employed.

Edited by Bluespunk

Two questions arise:

A. Why only screen foreign teachers?

B. Why not have a data base for entering paedophiles?

Read the OP and your first question wouldn't have arisen, it's a warning from the British Embassy!

Bet the guy in that picture is well happy about being shown as the photo lead for this story

Only if he can read.

Which as he appears to be in a school [or at least is surrounded by pupils in uniform], and therefore could well be a teacher, one assumes he can.

This makes a lot of sense. Thai parents are very casual about their children whereabouts and behavior with strangers. Unfortunately Thailand is a perfect target for predators, locals and foreigners, and we will see more news about it. Probably is already a big problem, but not reported.

If it's not reported why would you think that it's a big problem? How would you know?

Bet the guy in that picture is well happy about being shown as the photo lead for this story

Only if he can read.

Which as he appears to be in a school [or at least is surrounded by pupils in uniform], and therefore could well be a teacher, one assumes he can.

One would hope that he can but one shouldn't assume it to be true. Did you notice something flying over your head a few minutes ago? That was my point that you missed.

Only if he can read.

One would hope that he can but one shouldn't assume it to be true. Did you notice something flying over your head a few minutes ago? That was my point that you missed.

No, I got your point but consider it nonsense.

I also assume that the picture is a stock one used by the writers of the article.

No doubt they chose one of a teacher in a school.

Edited by Bluespunk

Some immigration departments don't insist on it. Also for those people that have been in Thailand a long time, where do they get the police certificate?

I believe it's only required for new teachers. A certificate from the UK police wouldn't be much use if the person has been in Thailand for a long time.

Yes, isn't is strange that the British Foreign Office are concentrating on British people!?!??!

Sarcastic ass.

I just thought The Education Ministry (who issued the instruction) could also check other nationalities as well.

We need not have any issues from other Native speakers.

Two questions arise:

A. Why only screen foreign teachers?

B. Why not have a data base for entering paedophiles?

And apparently, only those from England.

I guess Thailand has drawn the conclusion that there are no pedophiles from Australia, New Zealand, the US... or even the Vatican! whistling.gif

A simpler way to check up on Teachers from the Uk would be to make sure they produce a CRB Check from the UK,when applying for a Teaching job in Thailand. The same as English Teachers,have to in the UK! It's no big deal,even the O/A Visa applicants have to produce a CRB from Scotland Yard,to get the over 50 Visa for Thailand, commonly known as the retirement Visa.

In simple terms:

Now EVERYBODY from the UK is a suspect ! [with full intention of the UK embassy !]

... a simple way to justify the full surveillance of ALL UK citizens. [later on ALL people]

Sadly nobody seems to understand this ... create a problem, offer the solution !

More surveillance, more government control ... and people fall for it all the time.

We are not talking about the Human rights of Citizens or more likely potential Pedophiles,if that involves surveillance of ordinary people then so be it,but more importantly is the rights of innocent children to have a life free from the filth that abuse and prey on them!

In my view the British Embassy has made a small but good decision in the fight against the Evil of the sick,from all walks of worldwide Society!

Edited by MAJIC

Sarcastic ass.

I just thought The Education Ministry (who issued the instruction) could also check other nationalities as well.

We need not have any issues from other Native speakers.

My apologies for the sarcasm. Of course, all teachers should be screened, all people in contact with other people's children in fact.

An official requirement which is in reality not actually required.

It does appear to be required when processing an Extension for new British teachers, at Bangkok anyway.

blink.png

What does this have to do with the story at hand? Can you show me in the article where it declares there are no paedophiles in Thailand?

To be honest, this is something that should be mandatory in every position where adults will be working with children. I know that it's a requirement in Korea and Japan for their foreign teachers.

i saw through the sarcasm in DM07's post. didn't you?

i do agree with the screening. i don't know how much restraint i can muster to any SOB pedo who would even try to get to my children!

In simple terms:

Goodness me! All that has been suggested, by the Britiah Embassy is that teachers are screened. Similar advice may be being suggested by other embassies, in fact I suspect it is.

As a teacher I have no problem with this. As a father of a young daughter I am glad it is being suggested. I'm not normally one of the " If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear brigade" but in this case that is the line I take.

Edited by JAG

It does appear to be required when processing an Extension for new British teachers, at Bangkok anyway.

I guess it depends upon the individual office or perhaps even the individual officer serving you. I have yet to be asked and, being about to do the whole process again, I hope I don't get asked this time as that would seriously delay things and add to my expenses. I do wish there was some continuity here.