sometimes thai people hold the nose when they see me.

keetoot

Sometimes in thailand more in bangkok the thai people hold there nose when they walk past like I am a smelly farang.

but in silom soi 9 I saw office people eating over an sewerage drain and that didnt seem to bother them.

I think only middle class do this and the really rich thais and lower class really arent fazed by farangs presence.

I have felt like doing the same at times but not only with foreigners, the occasional Thai too. What I don't get is how the offenders do not appear to know their BO is offensive or perhaps they just don't care. On more than one occasion I have stepped out of a queue and moved to the back or another one to get away from an offensive odour.

There was a thread on this about 6 months ago......The feeling there was it was all about snobbery/racism & you don't belong here/leave - go away.....

I'd not noticed it before and usually get all smiles - but it did happen once.....I immediately held my nose looking straight back at them - they dropped their hand right away......Game up......

Considering the recent posts from the O.P regarding his code of dress or rather non dress code and his understanding of correct behavior patterns when in public

it would be practical to possibly label him as someone who is on but a nodding acquaintance with the shower, soap and deodorants, laundries are possibly unexplored unknown territory too.

Edited by arfurcrown

As long as the nice looking ladies (not talking about teens/early twenties - I'm way beyond that now!) keep returning a smile, who cares what the old Chinese-Thai trouts do in Bangkok.

They are the only ones where I detect obvious hostility - occasionally.

When I used to travel Thai Airways first and business class pre-retirement, those same types would be charming and institute good conversation. It's all about image and preconceptions.

Regardless whether farang or other nationalities, some people do smell bad but they are not aware themselves. It could be the body odour, shoes, clothing or bad breath. Maybe you could ask a close friend?