Train passengers will be covered by insurance for accident

webfact

Train passengers will be covered by insurance for accident

7-7-2558-14-21-38-wpcf_723x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Train passengers will soon have insurance coverages on their train travels after the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) governor says a plan is being considered to provide accident insurance for passengers and staff on trains.

SRT governor Wuthichart Kalyanamitra disclosed yesterday that a committee has been tasked to draft terms of reference (TOR) to provide insurance coverages.

He said after the TOR is finalised, the SRT will call a bid to select an insurance firm, possibly this month.

He expected the insurance scheme to start in November.

He recalled that at present the SRT pays compensation to accident victims on its trains.

But after the insurance scheme takes effect, the compensation will be the responsibility of the insurance firm, he said.

He also assured that the insurance scheme won’t be used as reason to raise train fares.

Meanwhile chief of SRT’s rail business unit Panthop Malakul Na Ayutthaya said victims of accidents should receive a payout promptly under the scheme without having to go through the SRT’s lengthy claiming process, Bangkok Post reported.

He said the insurance coverage will be provided to all passengers including those using free train services.

Initially, he added, the insurance firm will offer compensation of up to 300,000 baht for the death of a passenger and 30,000 baht in case of an injury.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/train-passenger-will-be-covered-by-insurance-for-accident

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-07

He also assured that the insurance scheme won’t be used as reason to raise train fares.

If they are not raising fares to pay for the new insurance then I guess SRT will just go more into the red than it is now. Makes sense.

Or maybe like it says, when they do raise fares they will not use the insurance excuse (some other excuse(s) will be used).

'will soon', 'being considered'

Might I wonder if trying to reduce accident level would be on the agenda as well? Personally I'd rather have no accident and no need for insurance than being covered when I'm in one of the frequent accidents.

It may turn out in return for providing free accident insurance the insurance company would also be entitled to directly market other products to the passengers.

God bless the headphone!!!

rijit

So a dead train passenger is approximately equal to 1/25th of a dead red shirt (allegedly)?

As someone said b4 its a money saving exercise. But saying that it wouldnt take a great solcitor to get more than what they are suggesting.

Edited by rijit

One has to think given the number of paasenger making a claim for one crash and the number of crashes and accidents per year with them its hard to believe they dont just use their money to fix rails and crossings instead. Oh wait. That would be proactive. Un-thai

I don't understand how they are able to limit their liability to only 300K, the coverage of the policy they are taking out. Unless there is a sneaky bylaw change going on the books enshrining this plus probably automatic acceptance on ticket purchase terms and conditions. Either way, it removes circumstance from consideration as to damages that should be paid in the event of a death.

An example would be gross negligence leading to debilitating injury that is the eventual cause of a slow painful death. I hardly find it right anyone could be shielded from liability, sure take out a policy, just recognize it as a hedge not a cap.

I would like to thank the photographer for a splendid picture of a train,

I did notice it eventually just to left of the pic of the beautiful young lady.

As an aside, did you spot the state of the track in front of the train?

A bit of a dip there!