In trouble for sheltering and observing anti-coup students

webfact

In trouble for sheltering and observing anti-coup students
PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- FACED WITH accusations that he violated the interim constitution, social activist Baramee Chairat stood by his innocence and said he would continue to fight for freedom and democracy.

FACED WITH accusations that he violated the interim constitution, social activist Baramee Chairat stood by his innocence and said he would continue to fight for freedom and democracy.

Baramee, a key member of the Assembly of the Poor, was with the 14 anti-coup students who were arrested last month. He was in charge of the Suan Ngern Mee Ma premises on Charoen Nakhon Road, where the students were given shelter for two nights before they were arrested. He also accompanied them when they staged a protest against the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

"I have been wrongly accused. I feel restricted [under the junta] and would like to ask how long will all of you put up with this?" Baramee said. "I think every citizen has the right and freedom to express themselves in order to protect his or her rights and liberty."

Baramee said he did not take part in the protest, but had merely been observing the students from a 10-metre distance at Democracy Monument. He added that offering them shelter at Suan Ngerm Mee Ma was not out of the ordinary as there were rooms available for rent and the students offered to pay. However, he said, the students were not charged after social critic Sulak Sivaraksa, who owns the premises, waived the rent.

The summonses ordered Baramee to report to police investigators on Friday, but the accused said he was indisposed and has asked his lawyers to request that the meeting be postponed to July 15 instead.

General Thawatchai Samutsakon, a member of National Reform Council, yesterday claimed that a foreign organisation was involved in the anti-coup student movement.

He said that the father of one of the detained students, who hails from Khon Kaen province, told him that a group of Khon Kaen University students was persuaded by a foreign organisation to attend an activity for two nights. He said he was worried about his son and wanted him to seek bail and return to his family, Thawatchai said, without revealing any names other than saying all the information had been verified. He was also firm in saying that this organisation had nothing to do with a Communist Party movement in the Northeast. He also called for the public to consider and investigate the truth, adding that he had full confidence that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha would do what he can to work for the country's benefit.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/In-trouble-for-sheltering-and-observing-anti-coup--30263990.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-08

If Baramee and Sulak felt so strongly about the situation, why didn't they join the protest? I guess they felt safer watching from the sidelines, probably better than shopping in Paris.

Sulak already has several lese-majeste cases pending against him, including one based on his opinion that the fight between King Naresuan and the Burmese king 400 years ago did not actually take place. So Sulak has demonstrated his bona fides even before publicly supporting the 14 students in this way.

What have you yourself been doing to support Thai democracy lately?

Too much world-wide pressure on the students so now they go after a single man who did not protest and only offered his rooms for rent which the OWNER, not him, waived the fees for.

This government is just too much. They want their pound of flesh and they will have it one way or the other.

I hope the students go out to show their support for him.

"He was also firm in saying that this organisation had nothing to do with a Communist Party movement in the Northeast."

One can't expect the NCPO to suspect the Communist Party. That would go against the Junta's SECURITY AGREEMENT with China!

Likely some Western democratic country will eventually be named.

"He was in charge of the Suan Ngern Mee Ma premises on Charoen Nakhon Road, where the students were given shelter for two nights before they were arrested." Help me out here please. Before the students were arrested, weren't they the same as anyone else not charged with a crime? Was there a warrant out for them? Why weren't they arrested at the demonstration? Prefer time honored secret police middle of the night raid model? Have the cops come up with any charge against him, other than pissing them off?

Khon kaen university? Any foreigners lecturer at this uni and involved in journalism especially anti coup stories? Hmm.. maybe some truth in what the general says.

A lecturer at the University of Heidelberg at the department for Asean Politics has been disbanded because he misused his students

(most from Thailand's "Elite Class") for political indoctrination. He went to Khon Kaen. The salary there is different. A hidden pay roll

is welcome.

The key question asked was, "how long are you all going to put up with this", good question , just how long will depend on the people , patience and pressure from outside, one can see late 2017 for various reasons, any longer I imagine would start to strain the friendship. coffee1.gif

If Baramee and Sulak felt so strongly about the situation, why didn't they join the protest? I guess they felt safer watching from the sidelines, probably better than shopping in Paris.

Sulak already has several lese-majeste cases pending against him, including one based on his opinion that the fight between King Naresuan and the Burmese king 400 years ago did not actually take place. So Sulak has demonstrated his bona fides even before publicly supporting the 14 students in this way.

What have you yourself been doing to support Thai democracy lately?

As I am not a Thai, I don't actively participate in protests. However I am vocal to whoever will listen about the criminal behaviour of "elected" representatives many of whom never front an electorate, the abuse of the party list system to appoint unelectable scum, the pure evil of allowing MPs to take payment other than their salary, and the need for reform.

So what have you done in 27 other posts? That is, besides pointing out that Sulak takes a contrary view of a matter of very little consequence.

But you don't and never have considered that a coup is actually against the law you so vehemently uphold, and wish the current regime to continue enforce the laws,??

Yeah yeah yeah civil war, corrupt officials, shady dealings Thaksin Thaksin Thaksin... reasons and excuses.

The Junta don't do anything like that eh? Stevie Wonder wants his glasses back, he says you've been wearing them too long!! :D

But you don't and never have considered that a coup is actually against the law you so vehemently uphold, and wish the current regime to continue enforce the laws,??

Yeah yeah yeah civil war, corrupt officials, shady dealings Thaksin Thaksin Thaksin... reasons and excuses.

The Junta don't do anything like that eh? Stevie Wonder wants his glasses back, he says you've been wearing them too long!! biggrin.png

Against which law? I think this part of the constitution is suspended and the 2006 coup is also pardoned in the constitution.

The Junta don't do anything like that eh? Stevie Wonder wants his glasses back, he says you've been wearing them too long!! biggrin.png

If that was a reply, there is a simple function to do that.

Wait, some of you junta sycophants still think this is the doing of the evil bogey man in Dubai? There has been NO evidence of that despite the junta saying they had some. In fact if they had any real evidence of Thaksin or foreign agency involvement then they would of locked the students up for longer no?

Face it. Some people are sick of this dwordship. That doesn't automatically mean they support the Thaksin or the red shirt movement. Stop being blinded by hate and see what is actually going on.