Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

No, I don't think it's irrelevant.

As I said the pier is normally used for larger vessels and it would be easy to check if any left during the relevant time.

Before things get even more twisted it should be pointed that this:

"The court in Koh Samui heard that the senior investigating police chief and his officers did not believe the killer would have taken that boat, which left an hour or so after the estimated time of death of the pair.
"We have the footage, but we never checked it," Police Colonel Cherdpong said."
Is conflating two things, one the footage from the pier and two the allegations that a speedboat left the island from somewhere else one hour after the murder. They way it has been edited it makes it look as if there is footage of that boat leaving from the pier that the police refused to examine.
Having said that the defense should ask for the footage from the pier and examine it to their full satisfaction.

But for God's sake! This is a top profile murder, a freaking detective MUST follow any lead! How can this lead be left out???

How can you even think to give an excuse to RTP for this (among the thousand other) utter proof of incompetence and total lack of professionalism???

Yes, they should investigate every lead, but just because they didn't review the CCTV footage it doesn't mean they didn't.

They collected the footage, so evidently they checked out the pier but for some reason didn't consider it worthwhile to review the footage from the cameras, maybe they just established that no boats left from the pier during that time by interviewing people there; it's up to the defense to ask for the reasons behind that decision and see if they stand up to scrutiny.

Darnnit then you go and say that!

IMO it is indefensible to say that they may have had a valid reason for not checking it, just my opinion though

Its not just your opinion, its basic common sense to check it, i wish anyone who says anything different to suffer a brutal attack and for the police to laugh at them.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Followed this since day 1, So many confusing and conflicting reports to make a true representation of the actual facts. One thing is for sure, whether you believe the B2 are innocent or not, if this was in many other countries it would of been thrown out due to the total incompetence of the Thai Police force.

Sky news now reporting Police Colonel Cherdpong " His inquiry had not investigated rumours of an altercation between MS Witheridge and the son of the Koh Tao headman, a local politician in the early hours of Sept 15th. Neither he nor his officers interviewed the headmans son, who is nicknamed Dodo, who was captured on CCTV in Bangkok later that morning "

He also said " He did not have the results of DNA samples taken from Dodo, and had not received a report from Bangkok of an interview with the youth. "

Police Colonel Cherpong stated after the defence team pointing out the two suspects were not wearing the same clothes as the alleged suspects caught on camera, allegedly running from the scene as " HE did not see that as relevant "

He was unable to confirm if the DNA samples collected from the scene, or from the bodies of the victims, had ever been sent to SIngapore for independent testing.

Seemingly officers also stated there were no viable fingerprints on it, and NO DNA EVIDENCE TO COLLECT - I can only think this must be a mistake otherwise well it takes the biscuit

If all of the above is true, I cannot fathom how this can be deemed as a competent and just investigation.

Edited by BeautifulPain

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-never-checked-cctv-britons-killed-104553353.html#bWxeGv9

• 10576380-1-1-2048x1152-20150723-110525-0
    View Photo

Sky News - Police 'Never Checked' CCTV After Britons Killed

Police failed to check CCTV images of a boat leaving a beach close to where two British backpackers were found murdered, a Thai court has heard.

There were gasps in the courtroom as Police Colonel Cherdpong Chiewpreecha revealed a series of apparent blunders in the investigation into the deaths of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, on the island of Koh Tao.

The court in Koh Samui heard that the senior investigating police chief and his officers did not believe the killer would have taken that boat, which left an hour or so after the estimated time of death of the pair.

"We have the footage, but we never checked it," Police Colonel Cherdpong said.

Just home to hear this shocking news. Was this Little Duck? The boat that was reported as burnt out?

No, I don't think it's irrelevant.

As I said the pier is normally used for larger vessels and it would be easy to check if any left during the relevant time.

Before things get even more twisted it should be pointed that this:

"The court in Koh Samui heard that the senior investigating police chief and his officers did not believe the killer would have taken that boat, which left an hour or so after the estimated time of death of the pair.
"We have the footage, but we never checked it," Police Colonel Cherdpong said."
Is conflating two things, one the footage from the pier and two the allegations that a speedboat left the island from somewhere else one hour after the murder. They way it has been edited it makes it look as if there is footage of that boat leaving from the pier that the police refused to examine.
Having said that the defense should ask for the footage from the pier and examine it to their full satisfaction.

But for God's sake! This is a top profile murder, a freaking detective MUST follow any lead! How can this lead be left out???

How can you even think to give an excuse to RTP for this (among the thousand other) utter proof of incompetence and total lack of professionalism???

Yes, they should investigate every lead, but just because they didn't review the CCTV footage it doesn't mean they didn't.

They collected the footage, so evidently they checked out the pier but for some reason didn't consider it worthwhile to review the footage from the cameras, maybe they just established that no boats left from the pier during that time by interviewing people there; it's up to the defense to ask for the reasons behind that decision and see if they stand up to scrutiny.

IMO it is indefensible to say that they may have had a valid reason for not checking it, just my opinion though

I don't think it's invalid to suggest that if the established by other means that no boats left during that time that reviewing that footage wouldn't be relevant to the investigation, or at least any more relevant than reviewing footage from any other part of the island.

But like I said before if they didn't give explanations on why that was the course they took they should.

Police 'Never Checked' CCTV After Britons Killed
There are gasps in court as judges hear of a series of apparent blunders in the hours after the two Britons were found dead.
By Sarah McBride in Koh Samui
KOH SAMUI: Police failed to check CCTV images of a boat leaving a beach close to where two British backpackers were found murdered, a Thai court has heard.
There were gasps in the courtroom as Police Colonel Cherdpong Chiewpreecha revealed a series of apparent blunders in the investigation into the deaths of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, on the island of Koh Tao.
The court in Koh Samui heard that the senior investigating police chief and his officers did not believe the killer would have taken that boat, which left an hour or so after the estimated time of death of the pair.
Sky News 2015-07-23

Someone's shi**ing themselves somewhere in their hidey hole.

There are gasps in court as judges hear of a series of apparent blunders in the hours after the two Britons were found dead.
KOH SAMUI: Police failed to check CCTV images of a boat leaving a beach close to where two British backpackers were found murdered, a Thai court has heard.
Sky News 2015-07-23

Ok colonel Cherdpong , if this is true , that they actually have the footage , then for god sake check it now. So we at least can find out who the passengers on the boat were.

Very unlikely that a speedboat had left from the main pier, it is used by larger vessels; speedboats normally operate directly from the beach or from small piers at some resorts.

You are talking about under normal circumstances. Keep up to date. Two people have been horrifically murdered and two people are in prison because the real killers have been allowed to go free!

Read more: http://news.sky.com/story/1523975/police-never-checked-cctv-after-britons-killed

Sky News 2015-07-23

Someone's shi**ing themselves somewhere in their hidey hole.

Nope. According to RTP cheerleading squad and mutual admiration society, it must have been mistranslated from "had" to "have."

Must have been! C'mon man. Drink the Kool-Aid! It's good for you.

Stop asking difficult questions. We don't have the budget to provide more evidence nor the means to steal more Tesco shopping carts to put our 6 pieces of evidence in.

Just sip on this...Land of Smiles. Everything sabai sabai.

It's not the first time that this has happened, incomplete and inaccurate reports being published that later need to be amended. For example during the previous hearings it was reported that the man who originally found the garden hoe was "cajoled" into cleaning it, next thing we know:

"CORRECTION: The beach cleaner who removed the garden hoe from the crime scene did not tell the court he also washed the tool, as was originally reported."

And how do you know which report is correct?

I would place more credibility on later corrections, since time and time again initial reports have proven to be inaccurate, either emanating from the police flubbing over some point or the press misunderstanding something.

Another clear example is the controversy surrounding the phone found behind the two suspect's lodgings. During a press conference a policeman said it belonged to Whiteridge, instead of Miller; that set Social Media on fire with claims that proved there was a cover up since there were pictures of Witheridge's phone being handed to the police. Next day the police issued a correction, they misspoke, it was Miller's phone, that didn't sway the Internet detectives, neither did when two witnesses testified that the two men on trial had given them that phone to dispose of, or when the two men on trial said that they found that phone on the night of the murders.

The "They planted Hannah's phone" meme still pops up now and then even if it's been thoroughly discredited by now.

So yes, I'd wait to have those comments about the hoe explained in more detail.

If the RTP can't get such a basic fact like who owned the phone right... I really don't need to finish that sentence.

The RTP are supposed to act in a professional and competent manner, which they are drastically failing at!

They should be releasing corrections via the media - no changing their stories when 'found out'.

It's not the first time that this has happened, incomplete and inaccurate reports being published that later need to be amended. For example during the previous hearings it was reported that the man who originally found the garden hoe was "cajoled" into cleaning it, next thing we know:

"CORRECTION: The beach cleaner who removed the garden hoe from the crime scene did not tell the court he also washed the tool, as was originally reported."

So, was it cleaned later? Was it cleaned earlier? Why did it have no fingerprints or DNA evidence? Was there any blood on it? Were the forensic experts involved able to extract DNA from the blood if any was found? Was any of David's blood on the hoe?

Since the report that it had been cleaned was recanted, why do you ask when something that didn't happen happened?

For the rest of your questions, that's what the defense should be asking to the people that actually examined the hoe, but suffice to say that obviously there was blood on the hoe so your next to last question is also moot.

As far as I remembered they only matched Witheridge's DNA to the blood on the hoe and that was that.

see my points above...

Followed this since day 1, So many confusing and conflicting reports to make a true representation of the actual facts. One thing is for sure, whether you believe the B2 are innocent or not, if this was in many other countries it would of been thrown out due to the total incompetence of the Thai Police force.

Sky news now reporting Police Colonel Cherdpong " His inquiry had not investigated rumours of an altercation between MS Witheridge and the son of the Koh Tao headman, a local politician in the early hours of Sept 15th. Neither he nor his officers interviewed the headmans son, who is nicknamed Dodo, who was captured on CCTV in Bangkok later that morning "

He also said " He did not have the results of DNA samples taken from Dodo, and had not received a report from Bangkok of an interview with the youth. "

Police Colonel Cherpong stated after the defence team pointing out the two suspects were not wearing the same clothes as the alleged suspects caught on camera, allegedly running from the scene as " HE did not see that as relevant "

He was unable to confirm if the DNA samples collected from the scene, or from the bodies of the victims, had ever been sent to SIngapore for independent testing.

Seemingly officers also stated there were no viable fingerprints on it, and NO DNA EVIDENCE TO COLLECT - I can only think this must be a mistake otherwise well it takes the biscuit

If all of the above is true, I cannot fathom how this can be deemed as a competent and just investigation.

Money plain and simple.

What we are witnessing is a case of total evil.

Thailand a Buddhist nation......crap utter and total crap

An evil nation

David, Hannah and Red Bull Grandson.....Thailand for you

Edited by BoristheBlade

Well I wonder what CCTV panya menam was referring to when he made this statement to the press.....http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run

Would certainly be a help if the court was to see that piece of CCTV, But the reality is that it will be in the "lost evidence" column too. Embarrassing

did anyone notice the report a few pages back claiming there is cctv footage of the B2 on the log playing the guitar, first I heard tell of that one

Thought I saw that too. First we've heard tell, and also the last it seems? or just another misunderstanding? Clarification on this would be good.

According to testimony presented at the trial, both Hannah and David were last seen alive entering AC Bar. The police were aware of statements that a fight had occurred in AC Bar that night, but no attempt was made to find out what happened in AC Bar. In footage before they entered the bar, there was no indication Hannah and David were being followed by suspicious characters. It was concluded that this was not a premeditated crime. It is assumed (no CCTV footage to confirm this) that Hannah and David left the bar through the back door onto the beach. My interpretation of their attitude: What happened in a bar, how Hannah and David left, and whether they were followed, is irrelevant. The Burmese we want to be guilty were not there.

did anyone notice the report a few pages back claiming there is cctv footage of the B2 on the log playing the guitar, first I heard tell of that one

Thought I saw that too. First we've heard tell, and also the last it seems? or just another misunderstanding? Clarification on this would be good.

If true, this would be huge news, because the log is only about 20 metres from the murder scene. David and Hannah would have had to pass close by, and movements of the Burmese kids (including when they left) would have been clear.

I think we will find that there was CCTV footage elsewhere of the Burmese who are known to have been playing guitar on the log that evening. That is, they are clearly guilty because they were on a motorbike and visited a 7-11.

Do people on here honestly think that my account's been hacked or something? What do I need to do - post an image of me holding a newspaper for proof of life or something?

Kia Ora Mike from me in Thailand, I suggest you should have found a way to insert " AN ORCHESTRATED LITANY OF LIES " into your postings and they would have had watertight evidence it was the real you !!

Those of us still living in Thailand have grown so accustomed to seeing the rich kids being immune from the repercussions of their crimes it is so hard for us to believe that this tragedy is not just a continuation of same old same old. However your insights have made a valuable contribution and you are a rarity in that you do not present opinion as fact.

I don't think it's invalid to suggest that if the established by other means that no boats left during that time that reviewing that footage wouldn't be relevant to the investigation, or at least any more relevant than reviewing footage from any other part of the island.

But like I said before if they didn't give explanations on why that was the course they took they should.

Just to make sure I have understood correctly...

2 people gruesomely murdered.

A boat left the pier / beach 1 hour after the murders / bodies found. There is/was cctv of this (still in existance?)

If someone(s) told the police that no boat left the beach / pier near to the scene then they should just accept that and not bother confirming this information for themselves by viewing some readily available cctv footage?

I appreciate that was only one scenario you say could have taken place, but really whether it was that or ANY other scenario can you really say that is acceptable police investigating not to check cctv to validate this within hours of a double murder in the same vicinity?

Unless a better hypothetical reason can be put forward for not viewing it then I feel I must retract my recent earlier statement where I said I felt your posts were often valid and unbiased. I have to as I have no desire to even remotely endorse an opinion like that. It seems we're miles apart on what is acceptable / excusable after all.

Edited by bunglebag

So how is that watertight prosecution looking?

I imagine the poor families are now wishing they had never said a word about the evidence. But thats what happens when you believe one side without question.

How are the UK police feeling with how they reported the investigation to the family? If I were the family I sure would feel let down by the UK police for believing what they were told with no critical thought.

The prosecution has 8 days to present their case is it? Jeeez after 8 days of evidence like this we'll probably find the court will find the general himself guilty of these murders.

The incompetence is just astounding.

If true, this would be huge news, because the log is only about 20 metres from the murder scene. David and Hannah would have had to pass close by, and movements of the Burmese kids (including when they left) would have been clear.

I think we will find that there was CCTV footage elsewhere of the Burmese who are known to have been playing guitar on the log that evening. That is, they are clearly guilty because they were on a motorbike and visited a 7-11.

Even more, we would have seen Hannah and David as they apparently stopped and shared a cigarette with them on the log (according to the police hypothesis?).

Was the log cctv another misunderstanding? I'll go back and see if I can find the reference to it. I may be gone some time!

Police say Miller was struck by a single blow. Are they for real? Probably most on here could provide evidence to disprove that claim. Beggars belief.

And having now had to see the graphic photos of his son Ian Miller will hopefully be disproving that claim too.

I don't think David or Hannah's families are at this trial now probably seen enough and maybe know that the b2 are not the killers.

What a total disgrace and only for social media these boys could have got death penalty.

As for the RTP defenders they should keep there unwanted replies out of this forum that have done enough damage already .

I suppose it depends who is translating for the parents and what their agenda is .

It would be very easy to omit or play down negative aspects of the prosecution case.

If it's a government translator then I would think they have no real idea what is being said.

What I meant in my post was I'm sure Mr Ian Miller is also able to decide, having seen the wounds to his son, whether he was 'struck by a single blow'. I'm sorry if anyone feels offended by my post but I was just trying to be sensible.

Western culture : 1) The law 2) the government. 3) the family.

Eastern culture : 1) the family 2) the government 3 )the law.

My family are far more important than our endless laws so you can speak for yourself.

This comes down to basic human decency and pretty much every parent with an ounce of intelligence in England would shop their kids for such a brutal double murder and rape.

The opposite applies in Thailand.

4 days now and still not heard or seen anything coming from the court and prosecution that remotely proves the B2 are guilty..

Sketchy at best corrupt by RTP and authorities looking even more likely. This whole episode is so sad. Still no undeniable conclusive issue presented by police that can't be challenged or discounted.

Not that there is any evidence or proof the state will provide that will be offered that will not be discounted by many here, it would be unusual for a Prosecutor to start the case with their strongest evidence. The early days are about building up the foundation of the case and various facts that will (should) be tied together later.

Also. you are not there to hear everything and the people mainly volunteering information to the press are on the defense side and the news outlets covering the court case are sharing very little about the actual proceedings. Not like we are going to here gavel to gavel coverage here being the proceeding are in Thai and Thailand where trials are not covered like the west or often video taped like the US. Kind of normal for something to be big news when it happens, when there is an arrest and then when there is a verdict and then less coverage, but still some, when it comes to the appeals and commutations.

I haven't even seen the court case being covered in the Thai Language news and if it is it isn't considered much of news. Again this is SOP here but it will make the news again once there is a disposition but it won't be to the extend of the original coverage up through the arrest.

You leave me flabbergasted !!

For 10 months you have based guilt on the Burmese DNA being found in Hannah, for you nothing else has mattered.

Now you claim the DNA isn't really that important ? Being as the prosecution are working up to the big game winner.

What do you think the game changer will be ? The blind cleaner blowing his cover by claiming he can really see after all, as he walks out of the court and gets hit by a bus.

And how do you know which report is correct?

I would place more credibility on later corrections, since time and time again initial reports have proven to be inaccurate, either emanating from the police flubbing over some point or the press misunderstanding something.

Another clear example is the controversy surrounding the phone found behind the two suspect's lodgings. During a press conference a policeman said it belonged to Whiteridge, instead of Miller; that set Social Media on fire with claims that proved there was a cover up since there were pictures of Witheridge's phone being handed to the police. Next day the police issued a correction, they misspoke, it was Miller's phone, that didn't sway the Internet detectives, neither did when two witnesses testified that the two men on trial had given them that phone to dispose of, or when the two men on trial said that they found that phone on the night of the murders.

The "They planted Hannah's phone" meme still pops up now and then even if it's been thoroughly discredited by now.

So yes, I'd wait to have those comments about the hoe explained in more detail.

Miss Communication. Blame her. It's all her fault things are falling apart and things aren't panning out as hoped for by the RTP and others not seeking true justice. Damn that Miss Communication!

Some rightfully question why RTP and powerful families might protect fire dancers or whoever.... Just want to toss this in.... once the cover up starts, it is hard to back down. At a minimum loss of face, up to crumble of whole infrastructure of corruption. Heads could roll, or at least get transferred to inactive post. Look what happened to Clinton. "Oh! what a tangled web we weave When first we practise to deceive!"

You're right. When top brass first decided to enact the framing of the Burmese - RTP had no idea the ensuing months would put their feet to the fire. They've been totally broadsided by social media, and now the world's press corps. I think the Thai press will join in soon, when they see the firestorm this has ignited ww, even though the PM has probably told them to mute their coverage.

What we have now is a farang (AH) giving updates to reporters representing some of the top ww news outlets. A Thai journalist should be doing that, not a farang (I think Andrew's doing an exemplary job, btw). But no Thai is up to the job right now, either because they can't speak English well-enough, or they don't comprehend the significance of the trial, or (most likely) they're under a gag order from the PM. Other possible reasons it's not a Thai: threats to back-down from suspicious locals and/or lack of focus during long boring trial sessions lasting up to 12 hours. ...oh, and no note-taking/recording devices allowed.

If nothing else, this fiasco should serve as a warning to RTP that 'business as usual' won't be as easy in the future. People are watching. People want truth. They want professionalism, and social media can't be shut up with a wave of a general's hand.

Bravo Btang! Super stuff.

Koh Tao Murder Trial: More Forensic Evidence Available for Re-Test, Witness Reveals

By Khaosod Eng.

14376613261437661669l.jpg

The mothers of Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo with their defense lawyers outside the Koh Samui court, 23 July 2015.

SURAT THANI — Challenging previous testimony provided by police, a forensic expert told the court where two Burmese men are being tried for murdering British tourists on a Thai island that more evidence is available for the independent re-test requested by the defence team earlier this month.

Her testimony contradicted what police witnesses told the court during the first three days of the trial on July 8-10: that only four items were available for a re-examination because other key pieces of evidence, such swabs of DNA taken from the victims’ bodies, were "used up."

Today’s witness, a scientist from police’s forensic division named Kewalee Chanpan, said that "all" genetic material tested in the lab is replicated for future processing.

Pol.Lt.Col. Kewalee, who was in charge of testing several items in the investigation, also said that original pieces of evidence, such as a condom found at the crime scene, are still in police custody, though she added that the DNA traces on the objects diminish over time.

The availability of more forensic evidence is seen as a huge victory for the defense team, which has repeatedly protested their inability to access the alleged DNA match that police say incriminates the two suspects, who names are Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo.

The pair has been charged with raping and murdering Hannah Witheridge, 23, and murdering David Miller, 24, on the island of Koh Tao in September 2014. If found guilty, the 22-year-olds could face the death penalty.

Police’s internal processing of the forensic tests - which were conducted privately in police lab - and the prosecution’s efforts to evade an independent re-examination of the evidence have fed long-running suspicions that the two Burmese migrant workers were framed.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437661326

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-07-23

What a fabulously strong photo that is of unity and truth-seeking.

Police failed to check CCTV images of a boat leaving a pier close to where two British backpackers were found murdered, a Thai court has heard.

The alleged murder weapon - a wooden garden hoe - was never extensively forensically tested.

The court was told officers had inspected it with a magnifying glass but deemed there were no viable fingerprints on it, and no DNA evidence to collect.

Uneducated, unqualified, incompetent useless bums the RTP are. That includes the General also.

The Thai people have taken a deeply philosophical religion and made it entirely superficial. My days here will soon draw to a close.

This police incompetence/cover up (if proven to be) is the straw that's breaking the the camels back.

Edited by Blackfox