Drunk Driver in high-speed road crash in Central Pattaya

webfact

Drunk Driver in high-speed road crash in Central Pattaya

crash-61.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Just before daybreak on Wednesday a 38 year old female driver, who was suspected of being heavily intoxicated, was involved in a high-speed road crash which saw her car flip onto its side and two parked vehicles were badly damaged.

The crash occurred in Soi Paniachang in Central Pattaya and saw Khun Chutigan sustain a minor injury to her arm. She was pulled from her White Toyota Altis and was screaming and shouting uncontrollably. Communication with the woman was difficult as she appeared heavily intoxicated.

Luckily no other people were inside the car and no innocent drivers or pedestrians were injured. Her car did strike a Black Mazda BT-50 pick-up which in-turn struck a parked motorbike and both vehicles were badly damaged.

Source: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/202687/drunk-driver-in-high-speed-road-crash-in-central-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-07-09

how long is the drunken carnage going to continue in Pattaya before something is done about it, it is quite shocking to read news like this on almost a daily basis - Pattaya Police need to start addressing this massive problem as it really is way out of control - 1zgarz5.gif

Good question. Does anyone have any idea why road safety issues are not getting more priority? In terms of fatalities per 100.000 per year, Thailand is in the top five of most dangerous in the world. The human and financial cost are enormous.

how long is the drunken carnage going to continue in Pattaya before something is done about it, it is quite shocking to read news like this on almost a daily basis - Pattaya Police need to start addressing this massive problem as it really is way out of control - 1zgarz5.gif

Be careful with that advice: very slippery slope once you start enforcing drunk driving laws.... could lead to arrests for running red lights, then speeding, on and on.... eventually get to riding motorbikes down sidewalks against traffic. Unforeseen consequences and all that. Best to let the carnage continue. (joking, in case you haven't had morning coffee yet)

I predict it will continue for many years.....no matter what they do it won't change the culture over night....but agree something needs to be done to educate the masses.

Good question. Does anyone have any idea why road safety issues are not getting more priority? In terms of fatalities per 100.000 per year, Thailand is in the top five of most dangerous in the world. The human and financial cost are enormous.

If you take the stats from Wikipedia then Thailand is #3 behind Libya and Eritrea, where there are many cases of road death being caused by bullets rather than dangerous driving.

Worryingly we lead the region with around twice as many road deaths per 100,000 as our neighbours Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia. Not a selling point that TAT will be using to get more tourists here I am sure.

Be careful with that advice: very slippery slope once you start enforcing drunk driving laws.... could lead to arrests for running red lights, then speeding, on and on.... eventually get to riding motorbikes down sidewalks against traffic. Unforeseen consequences and all that. Best to let the carnage continue. (joking, in case you haven't had morning coffee yet)

Many a true word is spoken in jest, we all know the problems here, but I for one don't want to live in a nanny state ever again.

Believe it or not they are enforcing in a big way now, recently I have spoken to 3 different farangs I know, all been busted for DD, there are road blocks at night all over Pattaya stopping bikes and cars and testing them.

More and more expats I know are leaving their motors at home now

All the guys I know busted all spent time in the monkey house and it cost them dearly, the law changed 1st July its one month in jail and 10k baht fine for being over .05

Be careful if you are still drinking and driving

Believe it or not they are enforcing in a big way now, recently I have spoken to 3 different farangs I know, all been busted for DD, there are road blocks at night all over Pattaya stopping bikes and cars and testing them.

All the guys I know busted all spent time in the monkey house and it cost them dearly, the law changed 1st July its one month in jail and 10k baht fine for being over .05

Expats are not the problem facepalm.gif

Do you have a source of it?

Bangkokpost, but links not allowed here

post-6099-0-61087900-1436433253_thumb.pn

A drunk finnish tourist arced up in a bar in Soi khao Talo and was threatening a few expats includng me. The bar owner told him to move on and rang the cops. the cops came and he was asked to come up with a few thousand baht or they would lock him up. He offered to pay the next day (which he did) and they let him ride off on his rented motorbike. presumably because he was having trouble walking. No helmet either.

Expats are not the problem

No shortage of piss*d-up expats driving cars here. And quite a few piss*d-up expats have killed themselves on motorbikes here also, several of them within a few hundred yards of my condo.

A drunk in a vehicle is a dangerous menace regardless of what colour his skin is.

No shortage of piss*d-up expats driving cars here. And quite a few piss*d-up expats have killed themselves on motorbikes here also, several of them within a few hundred yards of my condo.

A drunk in a vehicle is a dangerous menace regardless of what colour his skin is.

If you say so, you must be right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one more time , drink driving is not the problem on the roads in Thailand.

there's a far bigger issue out there,

Are all the people in Thailand pissed up all the time on the roads ?

if not why are people having accidents all day long here ? whistling.gif

if you drive in Thailand every day, you will know the answer to this .bah.gif

This is not directed at you but I suspect many people on Thai visa.do not do much driving here.

most nip off to makro or lotus once a week and that is the sum total of the driving they do here,

the rest of time they are back seat drivers whilst the wife drives them around. coffee1.gif

Edited by onemorechang

The regularity of drink driving accidents in Pattaya is such that TV pundits could probably predict how many crashes/fatalities and which nationalities would be involved on any given day.

I think Pattaya has way too many incidents of this nature compared with the resident population of a similar sized city in Thailand.

Edited by Manbing

If you say so, you must be right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one more time , drink driving is not the problem on the roads in Thailand.

there's a far bigger issue out there,

Are all the people in Thailand pissed up all the time on the roads ?

if not why are people having accidents all day long here ? whistling.gif

if you drive in Thailand every day, you will know the answer to this .bah.gif

This is not directed at you but I suspect many people on Thai visa.do not do much driving here.

most nip off to makro or lotus once a week and that is the sum total of the driving they do here,

the rest of time they are back seat drivers whilst the wife drives them around. coffee1.gif

'one more time , drink driving is not the problem on the roads in Thailand.'

Its is a problem, and in this situation it was the problem.

Pattaya needs an effective police force to blitz the city and eradicate it. After all, its not as if public transport options are not plentiful and affordable.

I bet that woman in the picture wishes she spent 60bht on a taxi now.

'one more time , drink driving is not the problem on the roads in Thailand.'

Its is a problem, and in this situation it was the problem.

Pattaya needs an effective police force to blitz the city and eradicate it. After all, its not as if public transport options are not plentiful and affordable.

I bet that woman in the picture wishes she spent 60bht on a taxi now.

No she won't.

She will say (I unlucky) , and she will believe that.

I would like to know if there are more accidents

between Friday night and Sunday night in pattaya.

as I do feel Thais from BKK are coming down at the weekends and are just being lawless on the roads around town.

5-7 years ago pattaya was not a big place to come for the Thais

But it is now .

What you think.

Okay but the penalties are still nowhere near commensurate with the crime. I just came back from Chiang Mai where I spoke to members of that cycling club who lost three of its members when they were killed by another woman driving home after partying in the early hours of the morning.

Some of these cyclists are high society Thais and yet they are reconciled to the fact that the police have already been bribed and she will effectively get off with a slap on the wrist for killing three cyclists for driving while intoxicated.

Bangkokpost, but links not allowed here

But how often will such standards be enforced if a few palms can be greased?

Many a true word is spoken in jest, we all know the problems here, but I for one don't want to live in a nanny state ever again.

The nanny state sometimes prevents one from being killed by the "children".