connect government water supply to existing piping from pump?

thaibeachlovers

House has Mitsubishi constant water pressure pump model EP. House is being left vacant for long periods and the pump doesn't always work when turned on.

There is a government water supply to the house- one tap in the kitchen, Simple to connect that to existing piping from pump.

My question is- can i add govt water supply without putting a tap in line at the pump- I don't want to be running water through the pump into the well. ie will the water backflow through the pump if it isn't running?

I'm asking because it would be virtually impossible to add an in line tap to the pump pipe. No problem to put an in line tap to prevent pump water going into govt. water line when the pump is going.

Thanks for any help, but only if you know for a fact, please. I know I should put a tap in line at the pump but too difficult and will have to give the idea away if I have to install a tap.

As you say, you'll also want to install a non-return valve (backflow prevention) on the utility water supply.

The utility doesn't want you mixing your well water back into their supply, and

When the utility pressure drops, you don't want your waterpump constantly running to feed the community for free.

...many folk in our village like it when their meter runs backwards and they don't have to pay the inflated price. Ergo, I don't trust the water quality of the utility supply.

And, as Crossy notes, there should already be a foot valve on the well side of the intake line that prevents water from running back down the pipe.

Though they do need to be inspected every so often to make sure the screens are still good and the mechanism is still in working condition.

As you say, you'll also want to install a non-return valve (backflow prevention) on the utility water supply.

The utility doesn't want you mixing your well water back into their supply, and

When the utility pressure drops, you don't want your waterpump constantly running to feed the community for free.

...many folk in our village like it when their meter runs backwards and they don't have to pay the inflated price. Ergo, I don't trust the water quality of the utility supply.

And, as Crossy notes, there should already be a foot valve on the well side of the intake line that prevents water from running back down the pipe.

Though they do need to be inspected every so often to make sure the screens are still good and the mechanism is still in working condition.

Thanks. Absolutely going to put a tap in line to the govt water supply.

The pump is quite new, so should be OK.

House has Mitsubishi constant water pressure pump model EP. House is being left vacant for long periods and the pump doesn't always work when turned on.

< snip >

The pump is quite new, so should be OK.

Hopefully you mean the Pump and Drop Pipe are quite new, so the "Pump" will have a new Check Valve and the "Drop Pipe" will have a new Foot Valve.

In the previous post you mentioned a Mitsubishi EP constant pressure water pump

[Above Ground Jet Pump used for depth to water 25 feet or less, One-way Check Valve keeps pump primed and prevents pumped water from flowing back down into the basin, Drop Pipe Foot Valve keeps water from flowing back down to the source when a deep well pump is off]

You wrote that the pump doesn't always work when turned off for long periods of time.

If the Pump doesn't start when the constant pressure tank water is used up:

This would leave me to believe you've got a problem with the pressure sensor, or high resistance on the electrical connection.

-or-

If the Pump starts and continuously runs without delivering water once the constant pressure tank water is used up:

This would leave me to believe your Drop Pipe is loosing water back down into your well.

The later happens to my Mitsubishi constant pressure pump when our waterline drops below the level of the foot valve. Lucky for me, after letting it sit long enough for the well pit to recharge, the pump tends to create a strong enough vacuum to draw water back up without me having to reprime the drop pipe with water.

Some foot valves don't create a water-tight seal, and allow water to leak through over long dormant periods.

5a6a6195-b8ff-4200-90f2-126c4535c662_Swifeatures.jpg

The pump will already have a non-return valve and probably a foot valve too. What you suggest will work fine.

Why do the Thai plumbing experts take the valve and spring out of the Mitsu pumps?

Maybe they take them out of all the pumps they work on?

I was told it is illegal to draw water directly from the government water supply.

A farang in Roi Et was fined and forced to disconnect the pump and told to get a storage tank

Indeed it is, but our OP is connecting the mains to the OUTPUT side of his well pump so he can have city water when the pump is not running / well is dry.

I was told it is illegal to draw water directly from the government water supply.

A farang in Roi Et was fined and forced to disconnect the pump and told to get a storage tank

???????

I don't follow you.

Where we live most of the houses are connected directly to govt water supply with no storage tank in situ. We used to get water from a local company, but the govt. ran mains supply to all the houses.

Thanks for all replies.

???????

I don't follow you.

Where we live most of the houses are connected directly to govt water supply with no storage tank in situ. We used to get water from a local company, but the govt. ran mains supply to all the houses.

Thanks for all replies.

It's pumping direct from the main that Faz is alluding to, illegal and inadvisable.

???????

I don't follow you.

Thanks for all replies.

It's pumping direct from the main that Faz is alluding to, illegal and inadvisable.

I can see that that would be a problem, but why would anyone do it? Is the pressure too low in some places?

???????

I don't follow you.

Thanks for all replies.

I can see that that would be a problem, but why would anyone do it? Is the pressure too low in some places?

Very much so, when we moved in 2012 the daytime pressure couldn't make it the 2m to fill our tank :(

Indeed it is, but our OP is connecting the mains to the OUTPUT side of his well pump so he can have city water when the pump is not running / well is dry.

Just checking. Better to be safe than sorry thumbsup.gif

Edited by Faz