Which shall I do first Koh Samui or Chiang Mai ?

metty1966

Hi there,

I'm spending approx 28 days in Thailand over the new year. My itinerary so far is:

Bangkok - 2 nights

Pattaya - 10 nights

As I want to go to Koh Samui AND Chiang Mai as well I'm not to sure whether to:

1. Fly Bangkok - Koh Samui (7 nights) then fly from Koh Samui - Chiang Mai (7 nights) with Bangkok Airways

OR

2. Fly Bangkok - Chiang Mai (7 nights) then fly Chiang Mai - Koh Samui (7 nights)

Which is the best way to do it please 1 or 2

Cheers

John Metcalfe

If you hurry you can maybe catch part of the murder trial in Koh Samui. I live in and like Chiang Mai. The above advice to consult your astrologer is a good one here. Thailand is a country of ancient beliefs and mysticism. Have fun doing what ever you have planned 28 days goes fast. If your single hang onto your wallet.

Go to visit the North ( Chiangmai ) after Pattaya and end your holiday in the South .

When I was visiting as a tourist I found I had always a good feeling to do the beaches last before returning home to work.

As previously, consult an astrologer. In TIT, a Thai practitioner is preferable.

$$$ - get off your arse, access a PC, get am abacus & then do the sums.

Of course, for the budget conscious, there is a train & bus service.

Thai ladies would be very willing to act as a tourist guide.

If you go to Pattaya first, you'll never leave.

Maybe he'll "fall in love" in Pattaya and get an offer to buy a bar, never get out of bed and never get to Chiang Mai.

Next (ho hum), he'll be asking TVF members for advice on a bar "partnership", after he's already handed his new love the cash.

Let the games begin!

Couldn't give a monkeys what you do lad. You're boring, go back home.

That is a nice way to treat an obviously new poster who is only asking for some advice.

I would say that Thaivisa can do without posters like you.

Oh dear the poor chap seems to be coming in for a bit of criticism.

OP you nearly have a month- why not be a bit more adventurous , 10 days in Pattaya- too much. Chang Mai is OK - only if you plan to go further north. Samui , total tourist trap.

All these places are expensive.

Try somewhere like Loei - a beautiful province and off the tourist trail.

You are not going to see much of the 'real ' Thailand- but it's your choice.

Keep an eye on Kanair as they have flights from Pattaya-Chiang Mai so no need to return to BKK Then Chiang Mai- Samui...................I wouldn't book a ticket with them yet as they recently introduced then cancelled various flights. You can aslo fly direct to Samui from Pattaya with BKK air

Go to visit the North ( Chiangmai ) after Pattaya and end your holiday in the South .

When I was visiting as a tourist I found I had always a good feeling to do the beaches last before returning home to work.

I Agree with this post, but would avoid Pattaya, unless your main reason to come here is sex !! witch you can have anywhere...all over the country.! but is a hundred times more easy and obvious in Pattaya.

If you are relaxing on a Island ? you don't want to leave to visit the rest of the country ! So it would be wise to visit Chiang Mai, and other places in the North before finishing your trip on a so called paradise beach...and go home with hopefully, nice memory's....!!

Have a good trip, and travel with your eyes and mind wide open !!

Don't forget to use your common sense !... "if it's to good to be true it probably is" !..." would I do this in my country ? "... " why is this beautiful girl (Boy) interested in me ?"..so many more things to say but,...I have no time....

The rest you have to live yourself....

Best regards, Off Road Pat.

As many have pointed out is there a reason why you are spending ten days in Pattaya? If not I would consider spending more days in Bangkok so much to see, two days is not enough. I would do the CM-Krabi-Samui route far better that flying direct.

If you are looking for a beautiful chilled out island I would also consider looking at alternatives to Samui (don't get me wrong love(d) the place but.... you know its changed over the years and not for the best) Head Koh Samet even for a weeks break more chilled out.

If you are looking for a beautiful chilled out island I would also consider looking at alternatives to Samui (don't get me wrong love(d) the place but.... you know its changed over the years and not for the best) Head Koh Samet even for a weeks break more chilled out.

Yes to Samui having changed a lot, but Koh Samet has changed considerably too and is considerably more expensive for food and accomodation overall. At least Samui is big enough to keep competition alive. Half of Koh Samet is owned by the Chinese now. Last time I was there, they were really taking the Micky for what they were asking for very basic thai food even outside the beach areas.