Two arrested in Phuket for possession of 120 kilos of kratom

Lite Beer

Two arrested in Phuket for possession of 120 kilos of kratom
Eakkapop Thongtub

1436591196_1-org.jpg

Noppadol and Jamnien with their stash of kratom leaves.

PHUKET: Two people were arrested in Patong earlier today (July 11) when they were found to be in possession of 120 kilos of kratom leaves.

Kathu police arrested Noppadol Wisetrat, 21, and Sergeant Jamnien Samorhom, a soldier from Phang Nga province, just after midnight when police found the leaves hidden inside their delivery truck.

Police learned that kratom leaves from other provinces are being smuggled into Phuket hidden in the delivery trucks of a convenience stores, and after receiving a tip-off that the two were about to pass through the Phuket checkpoint plain clothes police followed the truck to a convenience store in Patong.

Police searched the vehicle and discovered 24 bin liners stuffed with kratom leaves hidden among the goods being delivered to the store.

Noppadol and Jamnien were taken to Kathu police station and charged with illegal possession of a Category 5 with intent to sell.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/photo/listing/2015/1436591196_1-org.jpg

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-11

'scuse my ignorance but what is kratom leaves. Do you smoke it or put it in food. Does it grow wild somewhere , only heard of it here on TV.

Thais seems to eat it. At least what I see the jet ski guys on Kata beach doing.

They chew it like tobacco.

Chew some and it's like drinking a few red bulls. If they actually legalized it (as it is in many other countries) they might put a dent in the methamphetamine trade, considering the average Somchai on the street would have access to a natural 'pick-me-up' instead of going for the yaba. But, think of the effect on the 'energy drink' industry and then you'll understand why it will remain illegal forever in this particular country.

Agree with connda. But not so much on the price thou. 20-25 leaves gonna cost u 100bht. per kg is about 1200bht. a bottle of red bull cost almost the same as a shot of 3-5 leaves. if they brew it with caugh mix like 4×6 or 8, the high is almost like yaba.

It's part of the coffee family. Completely harmless. It was named because it got in the way of the opium trade. People who wanted to get off opium but didn't want the full affects of withdrawal would us it. I order it hear in Canada all the time. It gives you a boost of energy without jitters. Also depending on dose can help you focus and to sleep. I'm very familiar with this and I find it lame that it's illegal.