They finally fixed it

Anthony5

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here the fix cost 5000 Baht in Farangistan it would cost 5000 Euro

Someone want to pay 20 % VAT and 55% income tax+state insurance on top of it?

Nah in Farangistan UK they would all be underground , zero maintenance, you see in the "long run" it is cheaper, no one dies when it rains and its not going off often.

yeah they did in my country as well....they dig up everything and installed a gas network. 2 years later they dig up everything and installed phone lines. 5 years later they dig up everything and installed the cable TV or glass fiber.....

Me innocent and without experience in big management would think you could put all at once in the land. Or the first one put a big tube in the land and later the other things will be put into the same tube without opening the street/sidewalk again.....

Or maybe it would be even possible to put part it or at some areas part of it in the already existing waste water tubes.......

In Thailand of course with all the corruption and lack of control if it is under the earth, I could dig to the electric cable and connect myself without meter and no one could see. If it is outside, even if it chaotic like that you can see the cables to the house making it difficult to steal electric.

There are many advantages to installing power lines underground, but some major problems too.

Installation of underground lines is much more expensive. ( A couple of decades ago the cost was estimated at $600.00 USD for every foot of line )

Shifting ground or soil can cause outages ( broken lines ) that are extremely difficult to locate and very expensive to repair and the earth below our feet does move!.

These two factors make above ground power lines much more cost efficient.

( I spent years inspecting power lines and power outages for a very large power company in California before moving to Thailand )

They dug up the roads on Samui, sorry correction, they have been digging up the roads on Samui for years! This was to install storm drains to reduce the flooding problems in rainy season. I said to my Thai Wife (who is better educated than self), "why don't they combine that work with burying the cables underground, which would be much more cost effective both in doing the excavating (ie two issues solved at one go) and for reducing the frequent repairs to the power supply". The power box at the end of our road frequently dramatically explodes either because a snake has shorted the circuit, or a branch or tree has fallen on it etc, with the consequence of no power for an hour or so. I am sure not unique to our road in Thailand. My Wife's response was, "silly man why should they do that? this would mean someone would not be able to get "under the table" twice". Duh, of course, silly me!! blink.png

Nah in Farangistan UK they would all be underground , zero maintenance, you see in the "long run" it is cheaper, no one dies when it rains and its not going off often.

yeah they did in my country as well....they dig up everything and installed a gas network. 2 years later they dig up everything and installed phone lines. 5 years later they dig up everything and installed the cable TV or glass fiber.....

Me innocent and without experience in big management would think you could put all at once in the land. Or the first one put a big tube in the land and later the other things will be put into the same tube without opening the street/sidewalk again.....

Or maybe it would be even possible to put part it or at some areas part of it in the already existing waste water tubes.......

In Thailand of course with all the corruption and lack of control if it is under the earth, I could dig to the electric cable and connect myself without meter and no one could see. If it is outside, even if it chaotic like that you can see the cables to the house making it difficult to steal electric.

Yet a lot of Thais do steal it

You should know that Thailand is the hub of engineers.--After all, those same PEA engineers did a pretty awesome job when they replaced a high voltage pole right opposite my house a few months ago.----Anthoney5

Yes their quite stupid those Tha's ...it's so reassuring that these sort of things could never happen in the west........coffee1.gif

construction-fail-elite-daily2.jpg

construction-fails-25.jpg

5003_700x.jpg

I could fill up pages with pics like this from Europe & especially from America.......... America has a whole internet site with pics of their brilliant "Engineers"--???

Edited by sanuk711

Efforts were going on in the UK a very long time ago to rationalise the installation of utilities to avoid such issues. Of course it never happened although I believe that some highways now have embargos on repeat work within a short time.

You should know that Thailand is the hub of engineers.--After all, those same PEA engineers did a pretty awesome job when they replaced a high voltage pole right opposite my house a few months ago.----Anthoney5

Yes their quite stupid those Tha's ...it's so reassuring that these sort of things could never happen in the west........coffee1.gif

construction-fail-elite-daily2.jpg

construction-fails-25.jpg

5003_700x.jpg

I could fill up pages with pics like this from Europe & especially from America.......... America has a whole internet site with pics of their brilliant "Engineers"--???

I think that in most cases it is the unwillingness of many companies to employ a real Engineer and do it on the cheap. The brifge photo appears to be a fake, why would there be 2 columns so close together?

Edited by Jonathon

Now they can put more cables on that pole, job well done PAE!cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

@sanuk711, are those pics for real???? not photo-shopped?? unbelievable!

After some thought, they must be photo-shopped the lot of them, you cant just imagine a construction worker coming to the top floor and saying; "well i'ts on the drawing, who am I to question the Architects"....

Edited by AlQaholic

The MEA guys I see at work in Bangkok are as well equipped as those back home and seem to work safely from what I see.

There would be a lot of dead ones if they didn't observe appropriate safety precautions when working on live lines.

Admittedly that's a refreshing change from much of the work which goes on here.

Last time I was in Australia, there was a van which regularly came around in the dead of night and exchanged compressed air cylinders in the telecom pit outside the house. Apparently the pipes in which the underground phone cables were laid is not waterproof and the cheapest solution is to add positive air pressure to keep them from getting wet. The guy and 4 of his family had contracts covering about 1/3 of Sydney .... and did quite nicely out of those contracts too!

50 meters from my house, last month they fixed the same problem too, maybe in even a better way thumbsup.gif

I am totally reassured, it no longer risk falling across the road little path leading to my home biggrin.png

post-154100-0-07691000-1436849704_thumb.

Damn... this post could be a metaphor for the whole of Thailand.

All it needs is some photoshopped construction workers with their heads buried ass deep in the dirt.

"Damn... this post could be a metaphor for the whole of Thailand. "

And this thread a metaphor for the mindset of many foreigners who chose to live here with no other occupation or recreation than whiling away the otherwise idle hours attempting to inflate their shaky egos by putting down everything Thai.

One can only wonder why, if things were so fantastic in farang utopia, those whose limitless expertise in all things must have netted them great wealth, would choose to live in a developing country. Possibly in their home countries they had run out of people willing to listen to lectures on the way things ought to be done.

All it needs is some photoshopped construction workers with their heads buried ass deep in the dirt.

And this thread a metaphor for the mindset of many foreigners who chose to live here with no other occupation or recreation than whiling away the otherwise idle hours attempting to inflate their shaky egos by putting down everything Thai.

One can only wonder why, if things were so fantastic in farang utopia, those whose limitless expertise in all things must have netted them great wealth, would choose to live in a developing country. Possibly in their home countries they had run out of people willing to listen to lectures on the way things ought to be done.

It's interesting how so many farang losers come to Thailand for low cost of living yet bash it for not have 1st world standards. Yet any small criticism of their home country and they flip out in their typical overly dramatic farang fashion.

Last time I was in Australia, there was a van which regularly came around in the dead of night and exchanged compressed air cylinders in the telecom pit outside the house. Apparently the pipes in which the underground phone cables were laid is not waterproof and the cheapest solution is to add positive air pressure to keep them from getting wet. The guy and 4 of his family had contracts covering about 1/3 of Sydney .... and did quite nicely out of those contracts too!

The gas would have been dry nitrogen. They use it to dehumidify the air since the copper and water don't get on real well. It's not used to pressurise the conduits as such although it does look that way.

I have often seen (in North Queensland - very hot at times) the telecom people working in the junction pits. They build a little tent around the top of the pit then stick in an airconditioner, so the poor dears don't sweat while they work.

There are many advantages to installing power lines underground, but some major problems too.

Installation of underground lines is much more expensive. ( A couple of decades ago the cost was estimated at $600.00 USD for every foot of line )

Shifting ground or soil can cause outages ( broken lines ) that are extremely difficult to locate and very expensive to repair and the earth below our feet does move!.

These two factors make above ground power lines much more cost efficient.

Seems to work well enough for water mains, and if you're going to spend money to dig trenches and tunnels for water mains, might as well run the electrical feeders that way too.

Even with the high cost, the benefit is that you almost never have outages. I lived in downtown Washington DC for almost 25 years and don't ever recall a power outage in an area served by underground cables. When service is disrupted, customer meters stop moving and power company revenue is zero. That's a good incentive to go underground where it makes sense to do so. For aerial distribution you need to maintain a fleet of specialized repair vehicles and a small army of repairmen.

It looks a hell of a lot nicer too, compared with the above-ground method popular in SEA that makes it look like the city is infested with giant mutant spiders.

It's interesting how so many farang losers come to Thailand for low cost of living yet bash it for not have 1st world standards. Yet any small criticism of their home country and they flip out in their typical overly dramatic farang fashion.

Where was ther Thai bashing in the OP?

I posted a picture of a clearly dangerous construction, or is it not allowed to show real life situations for our resident Thai apologists.

And what has this to do with the reason why I moved here? Does your home country have 365 days of sun?

Mine doesn't, but that is still no reason for the country that likes to call itself the hub of the universe every other day, to endanger other peoples life.

I posted a picture of a clearly dangerous construction, or is it not allowed to show real life situations for our resident Thai apologists.

And what has this to do with the reason why I moved here? Does your home country have 365 days of sun?

Mine doesn't, but that is still no reason for the country that likes to call itself the hub of the universe every other day, to endanger other peoples life.

Nevermind the real losers here, who because of their emotional & financial investments in Thailand (some can't afford to go back even if they want to) can't stomach any small criticism of their adopted country and flip out in typically dramatic "burnt-bridges" expat fashion...

Do you think it would have been safer if they did nothing? Maybe given their limited resources, this is the best they can do for now until a more permanent solution can be implemented without inadvertently cutting off power to hundreds of businesses. Did you consider that scenario before making your 'I'm so concerned about others' post?

It's sad so many farang use TV as a vehicle for any little opportunity to bash Thais while taking for granted their hospitality and enjoying a higher standard of living than most of locals.

Nevermind the real losers here, who because of their emotional & financial investments in Thailand (some can't afford to go back even if they want to) can't stomach any small criticism of their adopted country and flip out in typically dramatic "burnt-bridges" expat fashion...

Yes, projecting your own shortcomings on others justifies your petty, if not ungrateful behavior. You're a guest in LOS, maybe you should learn how to act like one.

Do you think it would have been safer if they did nothing? Maybe given their limited resources, this is the best they can do for now until a more permanent solution can be implemented without inadvertently cutting off power to hundreds of businesses. Did you consider that scenario before making your 'I'm so concerned about others' post?

It's sad so many farang use TV as a vehicle for any little opportunity to bash Thais while taking for granted their hospitality and enjoying a higher standard of living than most of locals.

Don't you think it would have been safer if they had it done the proper way when they initially installed the pole several years ago? You think they don't have the equipment to dig a deeper hole and some sand an cement to pour concrete around it.

Nothing to do with limited resources, it is the maipenrai attitude that is the culprit here.

Did you look at that other post of mine, where I posted pictures of the pole they replaced opposite my house and where they came with SIXTEEN people including a university educated head engineer, and still couldn't do it right.

Did you notice that I wrote in the OP that they cut the power to hundreds of businesses from 9am till 4pm that day, and one more time only 2 weeks prior to it?

It is sad that there are farangs that live with winkers and don't see that what I posted happens here every day and is a prime example of incompetence and laziness, not about limited resources.

Yes, projecting your own shortcomings on others justifies your petty, if not ungrateful behavior. You're a guest in LOS, maybe you should learn how to act like one.

Strange how here on TV some seem to be under the impression that "acting like one" (i.e., a guest in the "Land of Smiles" - LOL at those still calling it that...) includes lining up for a frontal lobotomy. Well. Newsflash! It isn't. 'Hope you weren't charged the farang price for yours (not that you'd be "ungrateful" if you were of course...).

Strange how here on TV some seem to be under the impression that "acting like one" (i.e., a guest in the "Land of Smiles" - LOL at those still calling it that...) includes lining up for a frontal lobotomy. Well. Newsflash! It isn't. 'Hope you weren't charged the farang price for yours (not that you'd be "ungrateful" if you were of course...).

Yes, because attempting to look witty and clever in the eyes of others trumps everything else. Acting like a guest means just that. Showing respect for your host and not openly treating them with contempt regardless of how you feel about their shortcomings. This seems to be foreign concept to low caliber individuals with weak character traits.

Don't you think it would have been safer if they had it done the proper way when they initially installed the pole several years ago? You think they don't have the equipment to dig a deeper hole and some sand an cement to pour concrete around it.

Nothing to do with limited resources, it is the maipenrai attitude that is the culprit here.

Did you look at that other post of mine, where I posted pictures of the pole they replaced opposite my house and where they came with SIXTEEN people including a university educated head engineer, and still couldn't do it right.

Did you notice that I wrote in the OP that they cut the power to hundreds of businesses from 9am till 4pm that day, and one more time only 2 weeks prior to it?

It is sad that there are farangs that live with winkers and don't see that what I posted happens here every day and is a prime example of incompetence and laziness, not about limited resources.

How do you know what they have/dont have in terms of resources? Are you an expert in Thai culture and workplace dynamics? If you were so concerned about dangers to other, way did it take you years to post about it on TV as you had noticed the problem long ago?

It's appalling that farang like you have the nerve to live long term in a foreign country while openly criticizing its culture and people. Do you really think it gives you and other farang a positive image or are you so arrogant that you could care less what Thais think of your open criticism of them.

How do you know what they have/dont have in terms of resources? Are you an expert in Thai culture and workplace dynamics? If you were so concerned about dangers to other, way did it take you years to post about it on TV as you had noticed the problem long ago?

It's appalling that farang like you have the nerve to live long term in a foreign country while openly criticizing its culture and people. Do you really think it gives you and other farang a positive image or are you so arrogant that you could care less what Thais think of your open criticism of them.

You got it right there, I don't give a flying fig about what they think about my criticism, and care even less than that about what you think.

If you can't stand criticism it's time to buy a rope, and I'm more than happy to make the noose for you.

In my country people listen to criticism and take a lesson from it, but of course you wouldn't expect that from the hub of the universe, would you?

If I had to report every pole that is leaning over, I would have to report every other pole in this country. And don't you think that they have a excavator to dig a hole and cement to fill it.

Get back into your tree.

Incompetence and laziness gets you killed even working on that Low Voltage lines, sometimes as simple as not inspecting your gloves for pin prick holes or not whacking in an earth for your truck.

I live near a massive feeder and switching yard and can hear the loud speaker and see the operations, yet to see a fire an ambulance or hear the emergency alarm.

They aren't as incompetent as you are trying to make out, in fact I'd suggest far from it. If you knew the number of ways aussie linemen got killed that were avoidable you might have some perspective on the matter.

As for making a pole stand up right, quick check down my soi, and trust me, theres a lot of poles.... all straight up in both axis.