NRC calls meeting on political party and tax reform next week

Lite Beer

NRC calls meeting on political party and tax reform next week

BANGKOK, 11 July 2015 (NNT) – The National Reform Council (NRC) President has called a meeting on 13-14 July to discuss the reforms on the steps for taking the authoritative positions, the political party system, and the tax structure.

The NRC President Tienchay Kiranant has scheduled the next NRC meeting to take place on 13-14 July 2015 to discuss agendas that had already been considered by the national reform committee. Some of the reformation topics had already been discussed in previous meetings.

The meeting on 13 July will discuss various reformation matters such as compulsory procedures individuals must take prior to taking up authoritative positions, the reformation of the political party system as submitted by the Political Reform Committee, and the tax structure and system reform as submitted by the Economy, Monetary, and Finance Reform Committee.

The meeting on 14 July will consideration topics such as reformation on the budget system, structural reforms on the central, regional, and local administrative power. The meeting on 14 July will also overview the possible improvements to maximize the government administration's efficiency as submitted by the State Administration Reform Committee.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-11 footer_n.gif

The democratic reform process is steaming nicely along as predicted with input from all sides that decide to join in. Discussion and debate form a crucial part of this democratic process and this is what is being witnessed here.

Those that decide not to join waiver any right to complain in the future...Though they will and disruption to this process that we hear in the background from those decide not to move the country forward constructively is just making politically white noise and is testament that this government are hitting a rare democratic nerve.

The future looks bright indeed.

Edited by djjamie

I would just like to point out that the NRC doesn't actually implement any reforms. Their role appears to be to generate and prioritize a bunch of ideas.

One place these ideas go is into a long list contained within the draft Charter. Unfortunately, the Charter is short on implementation process.

The current NLA does not do reforms; or much of anything at this point.

Another possibility is that some reforms get implemented directly by the Junta. I suppose they will pick and choose whatever suits them. So far, I have not heard of much. (No, the various corruption cases are not reforms, inasmuch as there have been no announced changes that would prevent similar corruption in the future). The enforcement of the published price for lottery tickets might be considered a reform, although there still is no change on the distribution system.

The two most notable areas for reform are in halting human trafficking and better regulating fishing. Actions in both of these focus areas were prompted by threat of international sanctions.

So I take these announcements from the NRC with skepticism. Besides, with such significant topics being covered in just 2 days of meetings, I can't imagine they are getting very deep.

Time will tell if this is all talk. coffee1.gif

"The democratic reform process" is being developed by an unelected organization composed of appointees from an unelected parliament whose members were appointed by an unelected military junta.

Cleaning house begins at home.

Thailand will not become democratic until ALL its government institutions pledge allegiance to the Thai People and guarantee their soveriengty. There is nothing in the NRC reforms that requires the military's allegiance to the Thai Peoples. There is no check and balance to prevent the military from abuse of power.

There is no democratic process taking place.

I would just like to point out that the NRC doesn't actually implement any reforms.

According to the Interim Charter,

Section 28 establishes a body called National Reform Council (สภาปฏิรูปแห่งชาติ) or NRC to implement the reforms.

So these 250 members, on eighteen "committees" have been "working" since October, 2014. Have they published any proceedings? Implemented any reforms? Or are they just steaming along nicely, and they will drop a boatload of reforms all at once, at some point in the future?

Edited by bamnutsak

I would just like to point out that the NRC doesn't actually implement any reforms.

According to the Interim Charter,

Section 28 establishes a body called National Reform Council (สภาปฏิรูปแห่งชาติ) or NRC to implement the reforms.

So these 250 members, on eighteen "committees" have been "working" since October, 2014. Have they published any proceedings? Implemented any reforms? Or are they just steaming along nicely, and they will drop a boatload of reforms all at once, at some point in the future?

About 6 weeks ago, in one of his chats, the PM announced that they were already halfway through the reform process, and he claimed that reforms had been implemented in many areas. I had to reassess my definition of the word "reform". Evidently reform is a very subtle, virtually invisible thing.

I'm going with your "drop a boatload" theory.

However, the NRC also has been lobbying to extend their tenure beyond the supposed time frame for adoption of the Charter. Committees forever! Free lunches, too.