Sending kids to train in Muay Thai?

Hello.
Can anyone tell me how safe it is and how it is possible to send children aged 13ish to train in Muay Thai?
Mu son is aged 11 and heavily into Muay Thai and has a desire to make this his career path and wants to train in Thailand for a year.
I would of course take him to Thailand and make sure that he got to whichever camp he was to train at but at some time I would have to leave him.
I hope there is a way to do this safely as this is his dream....can you please help??
Thank you

As a personal trainer i would say this is not wrong - BUT the kid is only 13 years old - his body is still growing, if the camp you choose really can understand the anatomy of growing kids and sports then you are ok, as ,long as he gets enough rest and is NOT dping any kind of restinace training i.e weights.

muay thai is mainly cardio and that is not a bad thing, i would make sure he stays off the weights and if he want s to build his physice he looks at options such as resistance bands or gymnastic type strength exercises. Coach summers at gymnastic bodies .com does a great program for kids his age

a yerar is a long time so make sure he takes it slow, builds up his endurance , drinnks plentyn of warter and eats healthly

thats the best advice i can give

educational wise - whatever man - he not gonna miss a whole lot if he studies at a thai school anyways!!

What country are you in? Many of the masters are in European and American states already. No need to come to Thailand to learn Muay Thai.

I train from time to time and one of my instructors in Las Vegas is from Thailand, and another instructor here in Nakhon Pathom is an American training us out at the University!

I would give it more time. Do more research and find out precisely who he wants to train with in Thailand.

Safety? Not much of that going on in Thailand. Especially on the roads. Take care. Your safety is your responsibility.

Most kids get a decent Insurance policy when joining a sports or martial arts club ,do you really want your kid to have his brains kicked to mush just because you or he thinks hes gonna be the next Mike Tyson of mixed martial arts or something .

Get some parental responsibility classes before asking such retarded questions on a Thailand forum and you should be asking questions like what would be a great pre school before going to uni.

It's up to the parent whether or not the child can be in an actual match. Most parents would never allow that. I know I wouldn't. Barring that however, the various martial arts is some of the best conditioning available for growing minds and bodies.

Another great thing for children to learn that helps them a great deal is reading music and playing an instrument.

"I would not let"? Sounds violent. Sounds anti-social.

Sports are not violence. Sports are... Well, sports. Violence is... Well, violence. Big difference.

Feed him lots of soy products. Ensure he grows up soft, pink, and pliable, so that he can easily bend to the will of his corporate masters, just like his "caring father."

It's up to the parent whether or not the child can be in an actual match. Most parents would never allow that. I know I wouldn't. Barring that however, the various martial arts is some of the best conditioning available for growing minds and bodies.

Another great thing for children to learn that helps them a great deal is reading music and playing an instrument.

Mate ive seen kids as young as five getting in the ring in Thailand kicking and punching the living shit out of one and other al to the the amusement of local villagers and parents who where placing bets on the winner to be ,and this tw@t wants to leave his 13 year old son into the caring hands of such people duh......

I'm not your "mate."

I've seen that stuff, too. It does nothing for me. I walk away from it. I have no interest. I do not gamble. I don't even buy lotto tickets.

I train at University. Good instruction and supervision. Good training. Good fitness. Been doing it all my life. Plenty of great people around to help a young person get started the right way.

What country are you in? Many of the masters are in European and American states already. No need to come to Thailand to learn Muay Thai.

I train from time to time and one of my instructors in Las Vegas is from Thailand, and another instructor here in Nakhon Pathom is an American training us out at the University!

I would give it more time. Do more research and find out precisely who he wants to train with in Thailand.

Safety? Not much of that going on in Thailand. Especially on the roads. Take care. Your safety is your responsibility.

muay thai in the US is crap, most of them don't know how to block a lowkick.

Nationalities are all crap. It all depends on the individual fighter. It's the fighter who's good, not his race or his nationality.

Coincidentally, the last tourney I saw in Las Vegas, the Americans and the Mexicans beat the pants off Thailand, no contest. And they usually do, historically speaking.

How's that "all crap" thing working out for you now?

Nationalities are all crap. It all depends on the individual fighter. It's the fighter who's good, not his race or his nationality.

Coincidentally, the last tourney I saw in Las Vegas, the Americans and the Mexicans beat the pants off Thailand, no contest. And they usually do, historically speaking.

fighting third rate fighters

• 4 weeks later...

in UK we box from a very young age, and compete. YOu can put your kid in to training and they'll learn lots. not all will like it though.

I know for a fact that a number of primary schools - or tit equivalent - have trainers going in to teach to supplement their income.

as for a life doing this, the same model, boxers if they're chosen for a country or country teram train evening and early am usiually. if they are thinking the olympic route and/or pro route they usually study sports science as degree or simialr in combination. either way, the academic thing is important since you need some fall back as a pro sporter, it only takes a bad fall off a kerb to damage the body.

Edited by mmh8

You claim the Thai are so good... If they're so good, how is it they keep coming up third rate with third rate fighters? They're only good when they're in Thailand? Why is that? What happens when they hit the US then? Do they just go to pieces? Why?

You claim the Thai are so good... If they're so good, how is it they keep coming up third rate with third rate fighters? They're only good when they're in Thailand? Why is that? What happens when they hit the US then? Do they just go to pieces? Why?
never claimed the Thai are so good, the Dutch are though

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket may have a program for your son. It's a full on fight camp over there complete with accommodation and meals.

Training and sparring Muay Thai is no different than TKD in terms of safety. In my opinion it's much safer than pop warner football.

As an educated fight fan and novice martial artist, I say go for it.

• 3 weeks later...

As the old man said "Learn to Sail, Ski, Ride a horse and to play an instrument"

• 2 months later...

I've done everything on your list, except sailing. It's too bloody expensive for me. But I can swim like a fish, and row a canoe or a boat quite well. What else? Hunting, fishing, autodidact, adventurer, writer, combat science, computer science (Linux), HTML, CSS. I keep a little bit of all the good stuff going at all times.