Made a mistake booking Air Asia / done my money?

Razzler1973

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having flown Air Asia weekly between Chiang Mai and Bangkok for several years (at least 400 flights) I can tell you you will not get a refund. Hell, even when they agreed to a refund due to their error and it showed in their system, about 50 percent of the time I never got it.

One interesting thing is that when I used my Bangkok Bank credit card I would usually get the promised refund (for cancelled flights/double charges, etc.) but if I used my USA credit card I would rarely get the promised refund. Go figure......

However, the flights booked far in advance were so cheap I just chalked it up to the cost of doing business with Air Asia.

In my experience, for duplicate bookings on the same flight they will promise a refund, even if it is the customers fault. But that doesn't mean you will get the refund.

Edited by ricklev

Air Asia senior management is sleazy and deceptive. They advertise their prices NOT INCLUSIVE OF AIRPORT TAX with the intention of appearing more competitive with their pricing. It is not until you get to the final stages of the booking that you realise their trickery. Australia pulled them into line and made them advertise the full retail (airport tax inclusive) price, A pity a few other countries like Thailand don't demand the same from them.

Yeah you have to stay frosty with Air Asia

I love AAX from KL to Sydney when flying with no bags overnight, $108 and $135 fares, pay with a international no forex fees CC in THB and avoid their big CC surcharges and paypal scam

Is that a local CC that will not let you stop a payment?

No, Middle East

To be fair I had 'approved' the payment but the vendor hadn't claimed it yet but they said once approved they can't do anything. It was an outside bet anyway

Had a problem in April.I booked my g/f and daughter on Air Asia to Bangkok from Phuket.Trouble was,daughter's surname not same as mother's on ID card.Rang AA,was told to contact customer service.Got hold of daughter and put her on the phone,she spoke to them (in Thai) for 20 minutes,changed the spelling of names no problem.Got to air port and tickets had name change to correct ID card spelling.Away they went,no probs.

Maybe if you can get a Thai person to deal with them you may get a result.Good luck.

Worse than you my friend. I booked two return tickets to Kuala Lumpur and like you clicked a button before I was ready and hadn't chosen flight time. I went straight to their office in Tesco Lotus, Sukhumvit Road, Pattaya and the lady there wanted to charge me 9,000 baht to alter it. Needless to say I didn't use the ticket and re-booked with Air Malaysia who are a much better airline and go from BKK not DMK which is a nuisance in itself. I would not use Air Asia again. Just one other point - Air Asia charge for the use of a wheel chair and Air Malaysia don't. Air Asia - a rubbish airline.

As soon as you make a booking error with Air Asia get on the phone to them or visit their office at the airport. They can fix things up. It depends on the person you deal with but i know someone who ending up booking twice on the same flight (he had computer problems). Air Asia cancelled the dupe booking and gave him the ticket cost as credit for future flights. Depends on the person but can vary between free of charge to no help at all.

I literally called them after 5 minutes. I realised instantly but ... nada :(

I understand it's my fault and the stupid, idiotic error annoys me more than 2 1/2 grand but it's not that I changed my mind or wanted to be awkward, it was a legit error, spotted instantly. I know it's in their terms and conditions, I mentioned that in the OP so I don't need a link to that :D I am asking if anyone did anything against the norm for T&Cs, as an example (looking like a resounding, NO!) - appreciate the efforts anyway

You'd think they'd be some window for correcting this, cancel and do it again. They can still have my money! Seems like nope. I know they're a 'cheap' airline but Nok are slightly more flexible and also cheap. Even other cheap airlines around the world have various fees for this sort of thing but ... money gone. That's the frustrating bit. You'd think there may be a case-by-case thing especially when you call them instantly, honestly within 5 minutes "we don't usually do this but ..."

Looks like it's not to be but just want to make sure I'd covered as many angles and there's no secret method I am missing out on

It's a one way. I am flying down from BKK and connecting to an island but will be going across to the other coast myself so intention was to fly back from another island connecting thingy. I go to book and for some reason I mark the second one way flight as flying out of the island/connection I will have left a week before

One of the Air Asia guys did suggest using the Hat Yai portion of the flight but seeing as I will be on Koh Pha Ngan I think it's next to impossible to make a 2pm flight from Hat Yai. I could change my plans, leave the day before, blah blah but cost of ferry, buses, taxi and accommodation in Hat Yai ... not worth it. If getting to Hat Yai was doable then I'd do it but pointless breaking my neck to rush around

I will book another flight ... Nok Air this time tongue.png

Sorry to say your money is gone. I did the same thing and no sympathy from Air Asia at all

At least it's not just me wai2.gif

I don't mind those 700 baht flights but this was about 2400, not that that is gonna make a huge dent but jeez, so happy I didn't do it on a proper long haul flight

"Terms & Conditions" means you don't have to do it ... you can if you want though. Been skulking around moaning to my GF about how stupid I am all yesterday

Oh well, this is a first. When I was booking it there wasn't even a doubt in my mind about where I was coming back from. Been looking at bookings and things and info so I guess it was in my mind, in my mind when I selected it

Appreciate the shared experiences anyway, chaps

I recently had a fly-through flight to Australia with AirAsia. This normally means a 2 hour wait and you get on the next flight to Oz.

However, AirAsia cancelled the connecting flight with no reason given. They just booked me on a flight the next day. So that added more than $100 to the cost of the flight to book into their airport hotel, meals etc.

Customer relations is definitely NOT their strong point.

Agree ... Air Asia dont give a sh1t about their costumers - their web-site suxx and are made specificly to confuse costumers about flights, prices, Insurance, seats etc. etc. ...

Last booking I made was two bookings: CM - DM + DM - Udon T. ... Air Asia cancelled our flight DM - Udon but they informed us that we could get a refund so we had to change Schedule. When we asked them about refund for both flights they answered ... hold on to something now ... :

Refund is okay for CM - DM but NO refund for DM - Udon T. ...facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

TW tried call Callcenter but get to talk to 3 diff people that had an IQ together of about 20-30 maximum ... Air Asia´s staff are idiots as best ...

Air Asia is fine ...... used them 30 times or more domestic and international. No problem ....

I too have used Air Asia, poor service every time--all for what, saving a few hundred baht? Will never fly them again.

I've just struck a nasty little trick in Air Asia's changing flights process. Their terms and conditions for business class allow you to change a flight. If the new flight costs less than the old flight, no refund. If the new flight is more, you pay the difference> Fair enough.

However, when you go directly to the website without identifying yourself, the price for the new flight can be up to $500 less than when you log in to change the flight. The lesson is obvious; don't book until your travel is set in stone.

It wasn't as if I was attempting to change a flight with only a few day's notice. I was trying to change a flight from Feb 2016 to May 2016.

Have put in a complaint to Air Asia; however, not optimistic.

As soon as you make a booking error with Air Asia get on the phone to them or visit their office at the airport. They can fix things up. It depends on the person you deal with but i know someone who ending up booking twice on the same flight (he had computer problems). Air Asia cancelled the dupe booking and gave him the ticket cost as credit for future flights. Depends on the person but can vary between free of charge to no help at all.

I literally called them after 5 minutes. I realised instantly but ... nada sad.png

I understand it's my fault and the stupid, idiotic error annoys me more than 2 1/2 grand but it's not that I changed my mind or wanted to be awkward, it was a legit error, spotted instantly. I know it's in their terms and conditions, I mentioned that in the OP so I don't need a link to that biggrin.png I am asking if anyone did anything against the norm for T&Cs, as an example (looking like a resounding, NO!) - appreciate the efforts anyway

You'd think they'd be some window for correcting this, cancel and do it again. They can still have my money! Seems like nope. I know they're a 'cheap' airline but Nok are slightly more flexible and also cheap. Even other cheap airlines around the world have various fees for this sort of thing but ... money gone. That's the frustrating bit. You'd think there may be a case-by-case thing especially when you call them instantly, honestly within 5 minutes "we don't usually do this but ..."

Looks like it's not to be but just want to make sure I'd covered as many angles and there's no secret method I am missing out on

It's a one way. I am flying down from BKK and connecting to an island but will be going across to the other coast myself so intention was to fly back from another island connecting thingy. I go to book and for some reason I mark the second one way flight as flying out of the island/connection I will have left a week before

One of the Air Asia guys did suggest using the Hat Yai portion of the flight but seeing as I will be on Koh Pha Ngan I think it's next to impossible to make a 2pm flight from Hat Yai. I could change my plans, leave the day before, blah blah but cost of ferry, buses, taxi and accommodation in Hat Yai ... not worth it. If getting to Hat Yai was doable then I'd do it but pointless breaking my neck to rush around

Some countries are adopting a 24 hour window from booking where you can cancel/amend your due to booking error. Sorry i can't remember the exact details but its to address the problems you and everybody has when you make an error booking online. Seems like a good idea to me.

Sorry to hear about your loss ....

What do you want to hear from posters ..... ? It's got nothing to do with anyone having any experience with this ...

the mistake was done by you as you didn't double check the itinerary before you pressed the 'ok' button.

Jobs done. Terms and Condition states ticket you are purchasing cannot be changed or refunded.

Mistakes are easy enough, have erred with Agoda accommodation previously when I got the date wrong. They were excellent and problem sorted easily.

Airsia are not renown for their flexability but they are in business to do business so give it a try. Seeing as it was an immediately recognised error.

Rob

Air Asia senior management is sleazy and deceptive. They advertise their prices NOT INCLUSIVE OF AIRPORT TAX with the intention of appearing more competitive with their pricing. It is not until you get to the final stages of the booking that you realise their trickery. Australia pulled them into line and made them advertise the full retail (airport tax inclusive) price, A pity a few other countries like Thailand don't demand the same from them.

Yes, just like Agoda for hotel bookings, you end up paying 17% more than the rooms advertised price. Bludy crooks.

Yes, just like Agoda for hotel bookings, you end up paying 17% more than the rooms advertised price. Bludy crooks.

I have been noticing more with Agoda that it's expensive compared to before

There are some rooms where I know the place well and I know how much they cost. Agoga shows it cheaper and then add the tax and *bam* the rate is suddenly back up to the walk-in rate I am familiar with, no problem

Others take the walk-in rate or similar and then bung the 17% on, which obviously makes a huge difference

I'd always prefer to rock up and get a place but the kids are on the 'ol internet these days and you run the risk of places booking up, even in BKK sometimes

I literally called them after 5 minutes. I realised instantly but ... nada sad.png

I understand it's my fault and the stupid, idiotic error annoys me more than 2 1/2 grand but it's not that I changed my mind or wanted to be awkward, it was a legit error, spotted instantly. I know it's in their terms and conditions, I mentioned that in the OP so I don't need a link to that biggrin.png I am asking if anyone did anything against the norm for T&Cs, as an example (looking like a resounding, NO!) - appreciate the efforts anyway

Some countries are adopting a 24 hour window from booking where you can cancel/amend your due to booking error. Sorry i can't remember the exact details but its to address the problems you and everybody has when you make an error booking online. Seems like a good idea to me.

Seeing as the money is gone I may just persue this with Air Asia anyway, make a bit of a fuss, no flexible, 5 minute window even (not even exgerrating about it being 5 minutes from booking to realising to phoning them) and all that ... probably get nowhere but shot to nothing

I've had better experiences...though they don't get everything right.

You might have more luck if you ask them to give you a credit note for the problematic part of the booking.

I think your only hope is if Air Asia cancel or re-time the flight. That way you will get either a refund or a credit note to use within 3 months

I booked 4 seats to Chiang Mai earlier this year. The flight time was brought forward 30 minutes. No problem for me, but other circumstances meant we could not travel.. No point in claiming back the airport taxes, as fopr domestic flights they are low, and the fee to obtain a refund was likely more than the refund itself.

Imagine my surprise when I received an email advising I had a credit of 6000+baht

That has been my experience with them as well, with both a cancelled flight and one rescheduled to a time where we would have been unable to make a connection (either with them or another airline). As long as you're polite to the person you're dealing with they do try to help, but having said that that person is an employee and their job depends on them sticking to the rules set out by their employer, AirAsia, a budget airline.

Part of being a budget airline (anywhere in the world) is an inherent inflexibility which we gladly accept when we're getting cheap flights. I mean, Bangkok to Chiang Mai for $30 including taxes? People in UK think I'm joking when I tell them how little we can pay to get to Saigon or Phnom Penh or KL.

I've only ever once (out of hundreds of bookings) put the wrong date in - It was less than a week before the flight and it was a leap year. I forgot about this and using my fingers instead of a calendar to count the days I booked 2nd March, which happened to be the wrong day. My fault totally, and I realised it the following day when someone said the 2nd March was a Friday. I went back online (after I'd finished kicking myself) and read the T&C. To change the date there was an administration fee, which was a perfectly acceptable amount (and much less than the $100 to change on British Airways). The amount however was just short of the price of the flight. I could have done it and had a credit for a couple of dollars, but it just wasn't worth the time or trouble. I just bit the bullet and booked a new ticket for the correct day and learned from it.

If anything, this proves that it's not just those who click 'Confirm' before they are ready; I always check and am very careful. This was just a mistake that I could only make every 4 years. But the number of people who confirm without sitting back and checking is amazing. I tend to get up and get a glass of water or something - anything that makes me move breaks the 'hypnotic spell' of being in front of a computer - before checking and clicking confirm.

Air Asia are all right. We get what we pay for, and we aren't paying very much. I think we get extraordinarily good value from them, and we really can't blame them for mistakes we have made.

Air Asia senior management is sleazy and deceptive. They advertise their prices NOT INCLUSIVE OF AIRPORT TAX with the intention of appearing more competitive with

There are some rooms where I know the place well and I know how much they cost. Agoga shows it cheaper and then add the tax and *bam* the rate is suddenly back up to the walk-in rate I am familiar with, no problem

Others take the walk-in rate or similar and then bung the 17% on, which obviously makes a huge difference

I'd always prefer to rock up and get a place but the kids are on the 'ol internet these days and you run the risk of places booking up, even in BKK sometimes

I'm glad it not just me thinking that they are getting expensive - I thought I was turning into a Cheap Charlie. If we are staying at mid-range places (but not national or international chains) in Asia, we now look at Agoda's prices to give us a guide for turning up at the hotel and negotiating. One thing I've never liked about them is that they don't add the taxes, which can be up to 20% in some places, in the headline price; I know that it's there and it will be added on when I get to the next page, but I like everything to be upfront. I think Agoda is the same company as booking.com, same reviews anyway, but booking.com was always a dollar or 2 more. Before booking, I always send an email to the hotel and get their best price, occasionally you get a better rate but not often. I believe that hotels have to agree not to undercut them, so only very small places where it is an owner/manager or family operated hotel will undercut, and it's unlikely that these will put it in writing rather than you walking in off the street.

The best thing with Agoda is, in my opinion, the reviews. Unlike TripAdvisor or other such sites, you actually have to book through them to be able to do a review. This doesn't make it a perfect, no planted reviews site, but it makes it better. A lot of reviews anywhere on the web are a complete waste of time, with differing cultural backgrounds, differing standards and some people who just whine like children over the slightest thing, but you can use their reviews and rating system to get an overview from people who we know have actually been there recently.

EDIT: - Ijust pressed backspace twice and this posted for some reason, I thought I'd lost it.

Edited by Konini

If you live in Bangkok can possibly try to go to Air Asia ticketing office in Don Muang and ask directly the staff there

I don't but will be there in a couple of days or so. I asked if they had an office there thinking I can go down and smooze it, play it cool ;) but they said no office just these 'desks' and they won't be able to help

"well who deals with this then" ... "we don't know" clap2.gif

Air Asia senior management is sleazy and deceptive. They advertise their prices NOT INCLUSIVE OF AIRPORT TAX with the intention of appearing more competitive with

I'm glad it not just me thinking that they are getting expensive - I thought I was turning into a Cheap Charlie. If we are staying at mid-range places (but not national or international chains) in Asia, we now look at Agoda's prices to give us a guide for turning up at the hotel and negotiating. One thing I've never liked about them is that they don't add the taxes, which can be up to 20% in some places, in the headline price; I know that it's there and it will be added on when I get to the next page, but I like everything to be upfront. I think Agoda is the same company as booking.com, same reviews anyway, but booking.com was always a dollar or 2 more. Before booking, I always send an email to the hotel and get their best price, occasionally you get a better rate but not often. I believe that hotels have to agree not to undercut them, so only very small places where it is an owner/manager or family operated hotel will undercut, and it's unlikely that these will put it in writing rather than you walking in off the street.

The best thing with Agoda is, in my opinion, the reviews. Unlike TripAdvisor or other such sites, you actually have to book through them to be able to do a review. This doesn't make it a perfect, no planted reviews site, but it makes it better. A lot of reviews anywhere on the web are a complete waste of time, with differing cultural backgrounds, differing standards and some people who just whine like children over the slightest thing, but you can use their reviews and rating system to get an overview from people who we know have actually been there recently.

EDIT: - Ijust pressed backspace twice and this posted for some reason, I thought I'd lost it.

I used to find Agoda cheaper than Booking.com but now their prices are more or less the same. I am not sure these 'taxes' were 17% before? I am sure I had loads that were 'includes tax' in the past. Looking at my past bookings prices seem more reasonable

There are places with 1000 baht rooms on their site but booking on their site takes you to Agoda ... a different set of prices than if you looked them up on Agoda, mind but still turns 1000 into just under 1200 and 6 or 7 nights that adds up, especially when you know you can walk in and get 1000 a night price :/

These online bookings things are taking over the world though. I was hummung and harring about a place down south and the next day all their rooms were booked. Went on their site and all their rooms are booked on there. Went on Booking.com and got 'our last 2 rooms' (which I never really believe anyway but ... filled up)

This is low season too, there's generally a lot of wiggle room but if the kids are booking up places I don't want to risk not getting a decent place on a walk-in, especially when I'm taking a break, not embarking on some traveling (done all that tongue.png)

I booked one place in BKK I know the Agoda rate was the same as walk in so booked it but other BKK bookings I think I will just walk in to be honest, don't think it can be much worse!

I am rarely in Thailand during high season these days but I can imagine it's carnage with the bookings!!

Edited by Razzler1973

Agoda's sister company is Priceline.com I think.

If you live in Bangkok can possibly try to go to Air Asia ticketing office in Don Muang and ask directly the staff there

In my experience the AirAsia customer service staff at Don Muang are very friendly and helpful, the check in staff may be a little less so but not much.

It happened to me twice. I put the wrong month 08 instead of 09. We turned up at the airport only be told that the flight left a month ago. So we had to book a full flight fare which costs a lot of money.

The next time I got sick and couldn't fly and they still refused to refund me anything.

I once came 2 hours to late to the airport. They told me they can't do anything but she'll speak with manager. Than I bought a ticket for the next flight and they made me a very good price, far below what you can book on internet.

I used to find Agoda cheaper than Booking.com but now their prices are more or less the same. I am not sure these 'taxes' were 17% before? I am sure I had loads that were 'includes tax' in the past. Looking at my past bookings prices seem more reasonable

It depends on the country, and the taxes are usually room tax and service charge if they charge it. It's just a con really, so many of them do it. Then give you THAT look when you don't give them a tip, which is included in the service charge that you had no choice but to pay. In Thailand it's 7% room tax, so the rest of your 17% is 10% service charge. In UK room tax is 10% and in Laos it's 21% (!!!). I'm sure I've seen 36%, but can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, so we'll have to discount that theory.

I've got some good deals from local travel agents, who get prices not available to overseas ones. It's been some time since I used it as we just walk up now, but Chiang Mai Online has gotten me some incredibly good deals all over Thailand over several years. The web site is horribly out of date (it always was), hotel factsheets haven't been updated for a few years and it might not be such a good deal now as it was then, but I'd check them out if you want to book in advance.

Not specifically in Thailand, but in a few other countries I've gotten some really good deals from lastminute.com

We've stayed at literally hundreds of hotels (we had no fixed address and lived in hotels for almost 4 years when we first retired and were travelling around, - sounds idyllic but the novelty wore off eventually) so we are both pretty good getting deals.

You're right about it being low season, but the other factor here is that almost all of the tourists are now Chinese or Russian, and almost all of them are in tour groups. That means that they stay in the hotels who have done deals with the tour groups, so there are a lot of other hotels, particularly the smaller independents, doing it very hard and hopefully are open to negotiation for walk ins. Maybe they won't come down on price, but if I could see they wouldn't I'd try to get a better room or free internet or breakfast or a free tour or something. All they will do is say no, they won't kill you so it's definitely worth asking. The other thing is not to all turn up with your bags. Go to a local cafe, buy a cup of coffee and as you leave ask if you can leave your bags for a little while. I've never seen anyone refused, then off you go - alone if you're travelling with somebody. If you go into a hotel suitcases in hand, all hot and bothered, you're very likely to stay. If you just wander in off the street, not hot and bothered because you just had a cup of coffee or a cold drink and a sit down, they know you are looking and comparing, so you are much more likely to get a better deal. We used to take turns in sitting with the bags and looking for a hotel. It works.

My tips; Don't ask how much. Tell them you'd like to see a room. If you're not wanting the bargain basement room, let them take you to it (usually they take walk ins to the cheapest room) pull a bit of a face (politely) and ask if they have any better rooms. That way you'll know the price that they're asking for the cheap rooms, and you should aim to get at least that price for a superior room (if they have 3 room types being budget, standard, superior). Also, always ask for the price for 1 night. If they ask how long you are staying, say I'm not sure, it all depends on the room and how much it will cost (big friendly smile). When they tell you the price, pull another polite face and then what if I stay for 3 nights before telling them how long you really intend to stay. It's a lot better to do it this way rather than just going in and saying I'm staying for 5 nights.

Wherever you end up staying, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.