Mercedes A Class hatch .. any good?

Look again at the A180 AMG sport. It can be re-chipped at the supplying dealership (if reqd) to the C class power, without warranty problems. Performance after re-chip = terrifying. Price = aprox ฿2m Can it cope with Thai roads? (Can anything cope with Thai roads?) It will cope much better than most.

Look again at the A180 AMG sport. It can be re-chipped at the supplying dealership (if reqd) to the C class power, without warranty problems. Performance after re-chip = terrifying. Price = aprox ฿2m Can it cope with Thai roads? (Can anything cope with Thai roads?) It will cope much better than most.

I don't see any s/h A180 AMG models - standard A180's start around 1.3 -1.4M for a 2 year old model.

This has a 1.6 litre petrol ( 122HP )which can be chipped to 150HP or so

400,000 baht extra gets an all bells and whistles A250 Sport, bit of a no brainer imo.

Edited by fish fingers

Interesting. Wonder if BMW can also be re chipped.

Merc's and BMW's are hopelessly overpriced in Thailand in Germany a new 250 starts at 1.45 Million Baht, so for the same money you can get almost 2!

The competition is maybe less fancy, but a lot cheaper, easier to maintenance and dealers all over the country.

Wait until you have a real issue with one of these fancy all computerized cars in service oriented Thailand....

My colleague has the CLA 250 AMG. Wonderful car, but the suspension is far too firm for Thai roads (with the exception of the expressways).

The A250 is the same chassis and basic set-up, although the non-AMG models have slightly more forgiving suspension. You might like to consider the higher profile tyres if you want a more comfortable day-to-day ride though.

It's a lovely car, and IMHO not particularly expensive for what you get; cannot compare a car like this to a Mazda 3 (the A180 is the closer 'cousin' to a Mazda 3) and the spec inside is quite nice, the car is fairly quick (as in 0-100 in sub 7 seconds). Given the price difference if you want the HP then get the A250 and if you don't then get the A180; fiddling around and rechipping etc is kind of a pain and possibly not worth the effort (except to rechip the A250 upwards :-) for the difference in price 2nd hand. Make sure you buy a Benz Thailand car (ask the seller is it an authorized dealer car or a grey car, they will usually tell you straight out which one it is ).

No point to compare prices in UK/Germany, as we are not there and if you want to buy something cheap in Thailand, then buy a pickup.

The only thing is the gearbox, which is a dual clutch, so it tends to drive more like a manual without a clutch than a slushbox, try test driving it and you will find the system just doesn't work as well as the VW equivalent. This was the reason I didn't get one, but I understand the ECU has been improved since the beginning though.

The ride is firm, but the Mazda 3 is fairly firm too if running low profile tires, and IMHO the car is sufficiently engaging that this is not a problem at all. I don't own one but I own cars similar to it and have test driven it for an extended period before. I don't find it too firm, but that's comparing it to cars like a MINI or a Scirocco - it is definitely a lot firmer than a GLA etc, and IMHO drives better as a result but spme people would find it quite firm; I think most of the Benz Thailand spec ones have an ability to adjust the dampers from sport to normal but I can't quite remember on that.

I think the A is a much better looking car than the CLA from most angles, as the CLA is a little small to have that coupe profile and has IMHO a crazily low roofline particularly in the rear seat; the A has a bit more space for headroom.

Due to the lack of popularity of hot hatches here, the A250 seems to depreciate a little more than the C class as well as the A180, at least in the first 1-2 years, so buying 2nd hand you get the benefit of that. If you compare to a MINI Cooper S (similar performance and price) the A250 really is quite good value by comparison.

Usual reply of the cheap charlies...

Merc's and BMW's are hopelessly overpriced in Thailand in Germany a new 250 starts at 1.45 Million Baht, so for the same money you can get almost 2!

The competition is maybe less fancy, but a lot cheaper, easier to maintenance and dealers all over the country.

Wait until you have a real issue with one of these fancy all computerized cars in service oriented Thailand....

Not a real Benz but already better than any Japanshiiite.

At least you should get a new C-class that really look like my S-class but smaller.

Thats just why I wouldn't get a C class.. I've had big cars in the UK (Bentley/Maserati) and just dont want a big car for Bangkok, just a small luxury car that the wife and me can park easily. The only mid sized car I'd consider is the 3 series, it does everything extremely well and is better quality than the C Class

Edited by fish fingers

Better quality than the new C class ? on this one you are dreaming !

Look at ALL the reviews about the new c-class and all the problems reported for the 3 series and you will understand what you are speaking about.

I have a S-class but I could have said few millions with a C-class because it's already a very nice car that has no competition around.

It's also a bit ridiculous to speak about car size in Bkk, almost as ridiculous as people who tell that German cars are overpriced in Thailand.

At least you should get a new C-class that really look like my S-class but smaller.

Thats just why I wouldn't get a C class.. I've had big cars in the UK (Bentley/Maserati) and just dont want a big car for Bangkok, just a small luxury car that the wife and me can park easily. The only mid sized car I'd consider is the 3 series, it does everything extremely well and is better quality than the C Class

You're right about first impression quality of the C Class cabin materials, altho some of the fit and finish on the one I sat in left a bit to be desired. Plus every car has issues, the C Class had a major recall affecting all cars

I just prefer the style of BMW interiors, far more understated and classy IMO. But for a smaller car the A Class is very tempting for price, looks and the power of the A250

I don't really see why I would be ridiculous to want a small car in a city like Bangkok.. I respect your opinion, maybe you can try and respect others too

Edited by fish fingers

I think you are totally wrong about the quality of the latest Benz. After having failed for many years they are now showing the finder to BMW and there is not even 1 "journalist" in this world who can tell something different.

A 3 series looks like old shiiite compared to the new C-class, its not about respecting an opinion, it's just a fact.

And try to compare my S-c;lass to any BMW 5 or 7 and I will laugh more :-)

The new C-class really is a lovely car, and I would agree, it is probably a better looker than the 3 series....however that said the A250 has its own charm so it really is more for the person who would otherwise consider something like a 1 series, MINI or other hot hatch...and it does everything well in a more modern style than the C or the 3 series. I don't quite buy the argument that a FWD is not a real benz; my impression of the big E and S classes is of a car designed around someone who wants to be driven about and has a combover with gout and one of those old man manbags that looks like a purse :-). The CLA on the other hand I would agree, is not really a 'real benz' because it is trying to be something that is a bit compromised; if you want to drive a hot hatch...well there is a GTI, a Cooper S, BMW 1 series, etc...or the A250.

At the end of the day, if you have real coin, you buy a car you can at least get supercar parking for - Bentley, Maserati, Porsche (aka Menoporsche, known for being the car of desparate 50 year old men), Rolls, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lambo etc. BMW or Benz, really is just simply a very nice automobile with service etc all easy to handle here in Thailand - you want a super car get ready to wait for parts and deal with problems....but the joy or driving it....oh yes. A250 gives you a taste of that driving joy for sure if you can handle the oddities of that gearbox.

Better quality than the new C class ? on this one you are dreaming !

Look at ALL the reviews about the new c-class and all the problems reported for the 3 series and you will understand what you are speaking about.

I have a S-class but I could have said few millions with a C-class because it's already a very nice car that has no competition around.

It's also a bit ridiculous to speak about car size in Bkk, almost as ridiculous as people who tell that German cars are overpriced in Thailand.

He's probably talking about the previous gen C. Mind you the 3 of that era wasn't great either (and had major issues).

Interesting. Wonder if BMW can also be re chipped.

Yes, I have chipped all my BMW's here. The last one is a 2014 116i. Believe it or not +78hp!!