Does my car need a Thai visa

30 days entry for car

you must have all paperwork in your name an obtain insurance

BTW its ONLY 14 days for Laos but that can be renewed in country

Actually, it's also 30 days for Laos. I've been there 3 times with my car this year and they gave me 30 days on entry each time, despite my authorized period of stay for Laos being only 15 days visa free for my nationality. There have been reports of travellers with cars claiming that unless you ask for 30 days at the time of entry, they may give you less initially, but you can renew your authorized period of temporary stay for your car with customs inside the country. While that may very well be possible, it is an inconvenience and when the law says you can get 30 days there should only be 2 options - either they give you the full length of entitlement or they refuse you entry altogether. Normally immigration or customs laws can't be negotiated - either you get what the law says or they don't allow you in at all - there's no bargaining for something in between.

Therefore, just to be safe always check what it says on the paperwork and if it doesn't say 30 days at the beginning, make them put that down even if you don't think you'll need it. I believe it's 30 days for all countries in the region for cars and motorcycles brought in from other countries for temporary tourism based purposes. In country extensions may be possible - in Thailand that would be at customs in Khlong Toei, Bangkok for up to 6 months at a time.

Are the posts here about traveling from or to Thailand? OP is enquiring about the latter.

You're right, let's stick to the topic at hand. However, I wanted to correct a small inaccurary related to a post another member made in relation to Laos, however irrelevant it may have been to this thread.

Anyway, to answer the question - Thailand gives 30 days on arrival to all foreign registered vehicles. I have brought in Lao registered cars on a number of occasions and this is what I got automatically. As I have already mentioned, extensions are possible (I think up to 6 months at a time) by contacting the Thai customs service at Khlong Toei in Bangkok. I'm not sure that any other office in the country could help, other than leaving Thailand and coming straight back, but that could result in immigration difficulties for the person attempting to do so.

Are the posts here about traveling from or to Thailand? OP is enquiring about the latter.

You're right, let's stick to the topic at hand. However, I wanted to correct a small inaccurary related to a post another member made in relation to Laos, however irrelevant it may have been to this thread.

Anyway, to answer the question - Thailand gives 30 days on arrival to all foreign registered vehicles. I have brought in Lao registered cars on a number of occasions and this is what I got automatically. As I have already mentioned, extensions are possible (I think up to 6 months at a time) by contacting the Thai customs service at Khlong Toei in Bangkok. I'm not sure that any other office in the country could help, other than leaving Thailand and coming straight back, but that could result in immigration difficulties for the person attempting to do so.

Stevenl, I am driving TO thailand.

Tomtom, means there is no way to get a 60-day entry even the vehicle is under my name and I got a 60-day visa? It is going to be hassle to renew it at Bangkok coz I might be out of town.

Tomtom, means there is no way to get a 60-day entry even the vehicle is under my name and I got a 60-day visa? It is going to be hassle to renew it at Bangkok coz I might be out of town.

Yes, that's what I said, because quite a few of the earlier posts were about driving from Thailand.

30 days entry for car

Actually, it's also 30 days for Laos. I've been there 3 times with my car this year and they gave me 30 days on entry each time, despite my authorized period of stay for Laos being only 15 days visa free for my nationality. There have been reports of travellers with cars claiming that unless you ask for 30 days at the time of entry, they may give you less initially, but you can renew your authorized period of temporary stay for your car with customs inside the country. While that may very well be possible, it is an inconvenience and when the law says you can get 30 days there should only be 2 options - either they give you the full length of entitlement or they refuse you entry altogether. Normally immigration or customs laws can't be negotiated - either you get what the law says or they don't allow you in at all - there's no bargaining for something in between.

Therefore, just to be safe always check what it says on the paperwork and if it doesn't say 30 days at the beginning, make them put that down even if you don't think you'll need it. I believe it's 30 days for all countries in the region for cars and motorcycles brought in from other countries for temporary tourism based purposes. In country extensions may be possible - in Thailand that would be at customs in Khlong Toei, Bangkok for up to 6 months at a time.

That could mean that you may have to pay 30 days insurence when if you are only going for 4 days it may be possible by prearangement to get coverage for that only at a lower rate.

30 days entry for car

That could mean that you may have to pay 30 days insurence when if you are only going for 4 days it may be possible by prearangement to get coverage for that only at a lower rate.

Nope, that's not how it works. 30 days is the standard you get at the beginning, not less, not more. Irrespective of the amount of time you get when you come in the country, insurance is a completely separate issue from customs that you arrange either at the border through a broker, or inside the country via an insurance agent. You normally can't just get coverage on a per day basis so 4 days coverage is out. For Thailand, there may be the option of getting 1 weeks' coverage, otherwise 1 month, 6 months and 1 year (and possibly something in between like 3 months as well). Some brokers may only be able to sell you coverage for 1 year at a time, depending on the insurance agent and point of purchase. However, if you're travelling here more than once, you'll find it's well worth getting coverage for a year as the premiums are not that much more expensive than premiums for shorter periods.

In Laos for example, I purchased a 1-year policy (the only one available where I went), which, for the lowest coverage was only around 1200 Baht. Apparently at the main crossings, 1 week already costs 300 Baht, so it's a no brainer getting a 1-year policy, especially since I travel there by car often, not to mention some smaller border crossings don't sell insurance at the border so you will have to drive uninsured to an agent located in the nearest town or city, which may not be open on weekends (if you arrive then), which is a big risk.

Pre-arrangement may be possible, but complicated from outside the country. It's usually much easier to sort out these kinds of things once you arrive, and since most border crossings DO sell insurance, especially the ones from Malaysia, which is where the OP is coming from, I don't think that arranging insurance is much of a concern as it can easily be accomplished in less than 30 minutes upon arrival. It's best to purchase a policy that covers the entire intended period when entering, but if extensions need to be made, they can usually be done by visiting any agent's office before the expiry.

Yes, that's what I said, because quite a few of the earlier posts were about driving from Thailand.

loveinbangkok, as far as Thai customs is concerned, I'm pretty sure they will give you 30 days and then tell you to renew at the customs office in Bangkok (or in other cities, if that's an option - you should ask if there are other customs offices outside of Bangkok which can also process your request) if you need more time. You can always ask if it's possible to get more than 30 days at the border at the time of entry, but I doubt it. So instead of speculating here, you better request it from customs when you enter and see what they say. My personal opinion is based upon my knowledge of customs law here and personal experience bringing cars into Thailand and also Thai cars out of Thailand to neighboring countries. That isn't to say there might not be exceptions to my experiences, but I am quite sure you will get only 30 days and will need to renew in Bangkok. If so, you'll need to make time available to get to Bangkok and renew it there, whether you like it or not. I think there's a chance they'll give you an extension of up to 60 days or even 90 days upon presentation of your passport with authorized period of stay, when you front up at customs in Bangkok.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

• 2 weeks later...