Thai officials and foreigners could face severe punishment for corruption

webfact

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As ever there's the very ' minor ' matter of enforcement by the govt, the agencies involved and the courts.

it doesn't matter how many laws are on the books and how severe the penalties if they are only applied selectively, if at all.

Got to agree with that.

Execution exists for drug dealers but when is it ever enforced?

It'll be enforced when there's political motivation. What a great way to rid who ever is in government of potential competition! Just like when the police were shooting 'enemies after K Thaksin gave them permission to summararily execute drug dealers!

death sentence for corruption matter......thumbsup.gif ...........should be the entire planet like this biggrin.png ....this is so extreme blink.png that i guess very much we could get rid of that kind of human virus who is the major cause of ruining countries

coffee1.gif

Government officials, police, et al, should be held to a higher standard than your average pedestrian. Unfortunately the world over that is usually not the case. Corruption is a cancer on any society and instills distrust for the very people entrusted to enforce a socialites rules. Corruption without anti-corruption laws with big bad teeth are just a waste of time and effort; like most laws that are never enforced or only selectively used when a government wants to go after someone.

As ever there's the very ' minor ' matter of enforcement by the govt, the agencies involved and the courts.

it doesn't matter how many laws are on the books and how severe the penalties if they are only applied selectively, if at all.

Summed up perfectly

The key word is "could",when you read words like that

and "may",you know they are not serious about corruption,

until a few Politicians,Police,Army,and Business people

are caught,tried,and put in prison,nothing is going to change.

regards Worgeordie

Good point, some need to be caught and really go to jail, the guys from the fake rice deals should set a nice example.

If they can find others (should not be too hard) and make some high profile convictions things might change.

Personally, I would start with the police. Making an example of some of them might just encourage them to actually do their job instead of sitting around thinking of ways to extort people. A working police force could then get out there and investigate the rest. As things stand, just who is to be trusted to investigate the corruption?

Quote - "The amendment also leaves the statute of limitation for court cases - previously 20 years for criminal offences - unlimited from now on."- Unquote.

Quote - "It now stipulates that if an accused or defendant escapes while being prosecuted or on trial, the period that he or she escapes abroad is not counted as part of the statute of limitations." - Unquote.

I am confused, or is this some kind of legalese to confuse the layman?

Fact is that this is a huge improvement that there is no statute of limitations this is huge. Anyone saying the current government isn't making meaningfull changes is sleeping.

Compare this with the previous government who wanted an amnesty for 26.000 corruption cases (one still has to wonder why they were under the blanket pardon).

Sure people can moan that the courts still have to apply this but at least it changed its a step forward.

It leaves room for improvement but its a good step.

In my case, the statute of limitations applicable to an arrest warrant having been issued against the b@stard who stole my property is 15 years. However. He managed to bribe a police captain, a local prosector, and when the attorney general removed the pair of them and ordered his capture, he bribed an immigration official to allow him to fly out of the country. This under the present 'government'. Don't make me laugh.

Edited by dageurreotype

Hmmmm.Interesting. I pay an agent to obtain my extension of stay and the agent then pays off the I.O. and I am issued with the requisite stamp in my passport. As I see it according to the new law I, along with the agent and I.O., will all be guilty of corruption and subject to the death penalty. In addition consider all the other Government services and whatever that have to be "paid for" because of corrupt officials. If all these corrupt people are put to death there will be nobody left.

No, the death penalty would only apply to the Thai Official at Immigration, not your agent, not you.

"Under Article 123/2, state officials or foreign officials or people working for international organisations"

There would still be a mass exodus. If you get my drift.

At some point, a law that that will stimulate the enforcement of existing

laws might be in place. This might be a start...

Cheers smile.png

In Life i have found that the Law Only Protects the Guilty :). That's it in a Nutshell And the More Money you Have the More Innocent you are in Thailand.biggrin.pngtongue.pngwai.gifbah.gif

I note there is no mention of the law which disallows sitting MPs and senators from criminal charges of any sort, whether corruption or accidentally shooting your wife to death in a restaurant.

When this law is amended I might believe they are getting more serious about corruption.

How many of the traffic laws in the Second Most Dangerous Country To Drive In on Earth get enforce? A fraction. A cop citing an individual is almost always at a road block. How many traffic infractions happen at a highly visible road block? A fraction of a fraction. Where are most of the infractions taking place? Where there are no road blocks, hence, no cops.

So apply the logic to graft. Who's going to be a target? A political or business adversary. Who is going to determine what is 'corruption'? Whoever is in power. How do you get to be 'in power'? Follow the money. Where does 'the money' often lead to? Lol - corruption.

Welcome to the land of circular logic that many of us call 'home'.

With that said, I want to see the "Human Rights" outrage the first time they execute a farang or other foreigner. The chances of them executing a person from a First World Western country is about zip, zero, nada. Maybe some poor sot from another banana republic, but not a country with 'clout'. And I doubt they'd actually execute any foreigner for 'corruption' due to the Court of World Opinion. This ain't China! This isn't even China-lite. But, best of luck. Hot air imho.

Got to agree with that.

Execution exists for drug dealers but when is it ever enforced?

Oh blast I,ve just been out and invested in 5000 tons of charcoal and there may not be any bodies to deal with.

I just re read this and understand it now. Basically if there is any corruption anywhere in the country both foreigners and officials will be executed. incredible thailand LOS

The general has just made it legal to execute any that disagree with his rule. sieg heil, n

this explains everything, such as the plorification of nazi symbols, the students dressing up as hitler and the SS. its not a misunderstanding, well it is on our part. the were just pretending , its a case of i'm sorry but you misunderstand. there will be no disagreement with the general anymore or you will be accused of corruption and summararily executed.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES PEOPLE - they really do idolise hitler here

on the positive note being foreign appears to have some status associated with it, the equivalent of being a thai official.

hmm same same mai ben drai

Edited by mmh8