How Punctual Are Air Asia?

chanchao

I'm flying Had Yai to Chiang Mai.

Air Asia flies Had Yai to BKK and then BKK to Chiang Mai. There's one and a half hours in Bangkok between the scheduled arrival and departure.

Air Asia does not want to let me book this, they claim should be 2 hours.

Really... domestic flight connection.. same terminal.......

I'm tempted to just risk it and make a separate booking BKK-Chiang Mai without telling them I'm connecting from Had Yai... worst case seems to me is I lose the money, but it's cheap anyway. (600 baht plus tax).. So worst case, even if I lose it it's not THAT big of a deal.

Still.. are the mostly punctual on domestic routes these days? If I book with TG then it's about 2000 baht.

Feel like gambling. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

The problems are thus: you will not be able to check-in for your BKK-CNX flight while in Hat Yai nor will you be able to through check your baggage to Chiang Mai. You will need to do both upon arrival in Bangkok. AirAsia is truly a point-to-point operation and does not offer connecting service as such (one way of keeping the costs down).

Guest IT Manager

On principle I won't use airasia.

I use DTAC for the same reason. My only personal calamity is I need internet and our dear leader, kim Il Taksin owns it.

How do I get around electricity?

You won't find Toxin's airline very cooperative to your plan. If you are lucky and your flight is on time arriving in BKK, and you have not checked in baggage, you could get to the check in counter forty five minutes before the flight when they close the check in, assuming no one else is in the line.

You must buy the ticket for the second leg at least two hours or more before departure, so buy both tickets online, hoping they don't have their computer system working to pick up on the same name on two flights in different directions on the same day.

You are a risk taker if you do this, but if you get a thrill from taking risks, more power to you.

My only experience with Air Asia left me with such a sour taste in my mouth that I won't fly with them again. My Chiang Mai to BKK and return flight on Air Asia saved me only 1000 baht per ticket, which was eaten up by a flight change. They wouldn't let me on a half emply flight because you must be there more than two hours before the flight departs to buy a ticket and your reservations and previously paid ticket is no good unless the change is made 48 hours before the flight leaves, and then you must pay the 500 change fee.

On the other hand, the flights are a back-packers delight, if you are so inclined.

Good luck, sounds like an adventure which I will enjoy HEARING about.