Benefits in Thailand

Hi all

I'd like some information from folks who work here on permanent positions. The focus I'm mostly interested in is senior technical positions, in specialized areas (10+ years of experience). Bangkok mainly.

1) What is the going salary for such a position? Online research shows a range of 70k all the way to 200k, but it's all very vague. What's the going rate for an expert Oracle DBA or consultant?

2) What benefits are provided by these corporations? Housing, insurance, dental, limited liability, etc ?

3) Are pension funds provided?

4) Anything else worth mentioning?

Cheers

Fan

Your obviously talking about IT technical people not "technical" people generally, but technical people who are experts in their respective fields earn anything from say 250k/m upto around 1 millon/m and housing, medical insurance, schooling are added, as an individual in Thailand almost impossible to get limited liability insurance as a professional expat, the company typically carries that insurance

If one is employed in thailand in your professional capacity, take your home salary + 25% to 30% uplift, get them to pay your thai tax, + medical insurance as a minimum, if you can blag housing and schooling even better

Edited by Soutpeel

Where I work, a staff position is highly desirable, but most work is done by consultants. I would guess that the ratio between staff and consultants is about 1:1.

1) For a staff member in a senior technical position (such as a senior economist) with 10+ years of experience, salary is at least 300k/month. I highly doubt any make less than that, but would not be surprised to learn that some earn more than double. Most non-senior staff make around 200k/month and typically do not have 10+ years of experience. Pay for consultants is highly variable and depends on things like experience, field of expertise and demand. Many consultants are paid similarly to staff and have worked here for years. Unfortunately, a lot of guys in IT, logistics, operations, etc. are losing their contracts to Thais due to policy changes. Some staff and consultants are required to travel frequently, for which they are paid extra on travel days.

2) For both consultants and staff, health and life insurance are pretty basic. For staff, health also covers dental, vision and dependents. No housing allowance or insurance. No vehicle allowance or insurance.

3) Pensions for staff, but I'm 27 without dependents so I haven't paid any attention. Several of our staff are retiring soon, however, and based on our conversations, I imagine it is pretty good.

4) Regardless of where you work, you should expect your employer to shoulder all costs associated with moving to and working in Thailand.

Edited by Hornyskunk