Possibly coming to a highway near you

Whilst discussing Thai road safety on another forum it was mentioned to me that :-

The first training associated with the World Road Association's new World Road Safety Manual (which is to be formerly released at the next World Road Congress in Seoul in November) is to be held 20 to 22 July in Bangkok

Got me thinking as to what this new 'Road Safety Manual' is all about?

It was confirmed that what is being suggested for Thailand is the Safe System Approach. So I decided I wanted to know more. This lead me to a video on Youtube about the system being applied in New Zealand. Now I will post this video below. Feel free to watch the full 20 mins from the start. The reverse engineering of accidents rather than the more typically current blame game is something I have already mentioned elsewhere here and makes sense.

Then the video mentions safer safety cells for cars. Great if everyone uses cars. But applied in Thailand then improved safety cells for the rich I don't think is going to improve general safety that much. But lets skip that for a bit. I have a far greater concern.

I have confirmed that being suggested is softer road furniture. Now road signs that collapse if struck by a motorcycle is a good idea. Better placing of road signs is also good. But what about wire type safety barriers?

This video should start at 16 mins 8 seconds in.

So the intention is to recommend replacing the current concrete block barriers with Wire Rope Barriers.

The same type of safety barriers that are currently being removed in the UK and Europe to be replaced by - Concrete blocks!

Barrier selection

The choice of barrier is a very important one; the wrong type of barrier could increase risk for road users. [15] The volume, speed and mix of traffic is used to determine which type of barrier will be used on a particular stretch of road, and decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. [16] At present, the majority of central reservations on major roads in England are installed with flexible steel safety barriers. This type of barrier was chosen for its containment of vehicles and minimum effect on vehicle occupants. [17] However, the Highways Agency has since changed its policy and now recommends the use of concrete barriers on motorway central reserves.

In 2002 a survey carried out on behalf of the Highways Agency and Britpave examining concrete barrier usage in Europe found that every country that responded used concrete barrier systems. The survey also found that several countries preferred concrete barriers to steel barriers in central reservations, especially where traffic was heavy. Reasons for the preference included safety, low maintenance, less risk of crossover incidents and fewer interventions for repair.

http://www.brake.org.uk/news/15-facts-a-resources/facts/513-motorway-crash-barriers

When the wire type barriers were first introduced there was uproar from Riders Rights groups across Europe. The big issue with them is not so much the Wire, although this is bad enough on it's own. But the posts that support it. Rather than sliding along a large flat service (concrete blocks) the support posts would bring a rider to an abrupt stop. We already know that it's not the sliding that normally kills but the sudden stopping. There has been mention of post guards but I cannot see how padding round the solid post is really going to help. But why go the the expense of changing something that does not need to be changed and will then cost more money to maintain?

Especially as Thailand is already using the preferred method of safety barrier already.

Now I mentioned Riders Rights Groups. But that's not the only people who challenged these wire type barriers. The Institute of Advanced Motorists and EuroRAP (A collection of European Government Road Authorities) came together to produce this PDF - Barriers to Change

There is also this from Australia, April 2010 - http://motorcycleminds.org/?p=13

Now apart from the obvious mention of well 'TiT!

What I am also thinking is "Does Thailand have a Riders Rights group?"

Edited by CarolJadzia

Not worth the time and effort in this country...The nut behind the wheel is the biggest problem in LOS..eg;

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/07/15/10/06/angry-driver-of-little-red-car-causes-nasty-highway-crash

My point in a way.

Basically the 'Safe System' approach addresses things that are not the issue in Thailand while also missing the things that should be addressed.

When I tried to say that to the 'Road Safety Engineer' who suggested the above he banned me from his forum.

I don't think it will get anywhere. But Thailand already has Motorcycle lanes and all motorcycles banned from expressways so we already know knee jerk reactions lead to counter productive laws. The same has happened before in Europe. But Thailand has not got the Riders Rights group as yet who will stand up and fight it.

Not worth the time and effort in this country...The nut behind the wheel is the biggest problem in LOS..eg;

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/07/15/10/06/angry-driver-of-little-red-car-causes-nasty-highway-crash

I think the state of the roads is just as big a problem when riding a motorbike.

I think the state of the roads is just as big a problem when riding a motorbike.
Agreed. Wonder when they will discover the benefits of a road with a camber ????