Couple saves three Irish students from 'visa overstay' jail time in Thailand

webfact

The article links to a facebook post by one of the people involved: https://www.facebook.com/sorchajanecotter/posts/10205747181453380:0

That adequately explains how it happened: received 30-day visa exempt entry to Thailand, during those 30 days exited to Cambodia, returned to Thailand by land and received only 15 days rather than the 30 they were expecting. They were wrong, of course, and apparently were not aware that while they qualified for 30 days when arriving by air, they qualified for only 15 days when arriving by land. None of them bothered to read the stamp put in their passport by Thai immigration upon re-entry to Thailand from Cambodia. Stupid and careless, yes, but I find it a credible explanation.

What is hard to understand is how they could be traveling and have no money, or means to get money. Unless everything is free in Malaysia they are probably going to need money when they get there.

Edited by skatewash

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Surat Thani airport even have immigration, i dont think it does, why would they be fined there anyway, they were departing Thailand BKK, either badly reported or some BS being written

And 7 × 500 doesnt equal THB10500 BTW if it was genuine fine they overstayed 21 days

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

A few factual things wrong with this story

7 days x 3 people = 10,500 baht..

3500 + 3500 = 7000

7000 + 3500 = 10500

Hope that clears it up for you.

Fair enough

lets hope no one lets you do the due diligence on any real projects mr soutpeel

If the 3 girls owed 3,500bht each, but only had 10,000bht between them.

Only 1 girl was facing arrest ....... the other 2 had enough money.

But besides the factually incorrect title (3 girls face jail), pretty strange there wasn't room for negotiation on the fine.

Most male Thai officials I have encountered, would have thought of a way around the problem.

what did they propose to you?

Now I am not saying that this is the case here... but the story does remind me of another from New York City. It had been going on, and I am sure still is, for years and it centered around a man who was well dressed (business suit, briefcase, tie, well groomed, etc) standing near the ticket desks at Grand Central Terminal. He would go up to other travelers and tell them that he had been mugged earlier in the day and had all his money and wallet taken and was just $20 short for his train ticket home and if they would lend him a 20 and give him their address he would get it back to them within a day or two. Of course he never did... but did manage to 'collect' around $400 an afternoon!

An overstay for such a short time at that airport these girls were at? Well... it makes me wonder about the whole thing. It certainly makes me ask whether or not any fine was a real one as the numbers just do not add up as already mentioned by other posters. Also, and this is a good point, I too am not sure if there is even an active immigration post at that airport. But there I could be wrong. It is just that the whole thing although very noble of the couple that 'helped out' sort of raises one of my eyebrows.

Does Surat Thani airport even have immigration, i dont think it does, why would they be fined there anyway, they were departing Thailand BKK, either badly reported or some BS being written

And 7 × 500 doesnt equal THB10500 BTW if it was genuine fine they overstayed 21 days

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

3500 + 3500 = 7000

7000 + 3500 = 10500

Great post NewinPatts. As for Soutpeel...I think I now have an appreciation of what a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest feels like.

Post in haste - cringe at leasure.

Sorry but I have little sympathy for the three girls, who due to a "mix up" overstayed by 7 days, what "mix up" would that be then, difficulty with understanding the dates on the arrival card?

They were going on to Malaysia to continue their summer holidays, apparently with virtually no cash or working ATM cards, were they planning on busking then?

Seems they are just 3 scatter brains who have learnt a valuable lesson, pay attention and take responsibility for your own actions.

The lesson they have learned [probably know it off by heart] is that if you sit around bawling your eyes out long enough some mug [sorry, couple] will come to your aid.

Edited by for real

Surely they would have gone through Domestic Departures to BKK then on to International Depart where a full P/port check is run.

In thailand you go through immigration at the regional airport and are then given a sticker which allows you to enter the international area at Bangkok without passing further immigration.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

3500 + 3500 = 7000

7000 + 3500 = 10500

Great post NewinPatts. As for Soutpeel...I think I now have an appreciation of what a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest feels like.

Post in haste - cringe at leasure.

Soutpeet are you on land at the moment...I did not think they allowed drink or drugs on rigs:)

Almost all of your post is completely halucinatory.

1. Suvarna Bhumi InternationalAirport, Bangkok 2. Chiangmai International Airport , Chiangmai 3. Phuket International Airport , Phuket 4. Hatyai International Airport , Songkla 5. U Tapao Airport , Rayong 6. Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai 7. Chieng Saen Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai 8. Chieng Khong Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai 9. Betong Immigration Checkpoint , Yala 10. Sadoa Immigration Checkpoint , Songkla 11. Samui Airport , Surat Thani 12. Sukhothai International Airport , Tak Immigration Checkpoint 13. Bangkok Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Bangkok 14. Sri Racha Immigration Checkpoint , Chonburi 15. Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint , Rayong 16. Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai 17. Samui Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani 18. Phuket Immigration Checkpoint , Phuket 19. Satun Immigration Checkpoint , Satun 20. Krabi Immigration Checkpoint , Krabi 21. Songkhla Harbour Immigraion Checkpoint , Songkhla 22. Chiangrai Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai 23. Surat Thani Airport Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani

Edited by harrry

Oh the fun of being young and travelling the world, the excitement, the stress, the amazing sights, the Asian cultures. Nothing wrong with these kids, unexpected things happen, good luck to them, hope they come back to Los one day. We all make mistakes even us 'oldies' a couple of years ago i tried to board a flight to Auckland from Brisbane, not realising there was only 3 months left on my PP. They stopped me boarding but eventually let me go on condition i got it fixed when i got to Auckland. That was Air NZ, but i doubt i would have got the same consideration had i been boarding at Swampy.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

The 10,500 was for a total of 3 people.

So they were going to continue travel to Malaysia and couldn't even afford to pay 10550 baht in fees total ?

If I were the Irish couple I would ask the students to call home to mom and dad and transfer some money .

I wonder if the 3 were trying to avoid being left with too much Baht to change at less favourable rates and were caught out not realising they were about to be hit with an overstay penalty ?

Presumably they did factor in the departure fee at Swampy or... ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

I did similar for an an american lass in tears during a stopover in Korea about 20 years ago. I'm glad no one wrote about it or posted it in a forum. Would have just had forum members with little else to do:

• not reading the post
  • not reading the full article
  • not knowing basic arithmetic
  • arguing and nit picking and calling each other names.
What a sad little enclave this is. I think I'll switch it off for a couple of months but I'll probably be back again because I might just be as sad as everyone else here.

Welcome to ThaiVisa. Forum of the wicked and more holly than thou attitude. You can take misery out of a place but not a person.

I read for the humour sometimes and nothing else.

it was only 10 euros I think most of us would have done the same? good luck to them and don't be stupid next time? CHECK your visa is mandatory when travelling! glad they found their 'saviour' smile.png

" CHECK your visa is mandatory when travelling! "

I agree they should have been more careful, but checking the visa might have been the cause of the problem. The visa expiry date has nothing to do with their stay in Thailand. The only thing that matters is the "must leave by" date on the immigration's permission to stay stamp they got when entering the country.

Many people confuse the "use by" date printed on the visa sticker they got at an embassy or consulate and the "must leave by" date stamped in their passport by immigrations. Overstay is determined by the latter not the former.

Are you saying Baht 10,500 is € 10 ?

You probably have not read the whole article. The three doves had in fact only 10.100 Baht, so were short of 400 to pay the fines.

The Irish couple so gave them the missing 400 Baht wai.gif

I heard them being interview on Irish radio. When they arrived in Thailand they had a 30 day visa, then went straight on to a neighboring country immediately for 7 days and on re-entering Thailand they only got a 15 day visa. They never checked their passports and assumed they still had a visa for 30 days. They were supposed to go on to Malaysia but decided against it because of low funds. Lucky for them they did not go or they would have been in worse trouble.

When I see stories like this it makes me sad that a small act of kindness can become News Headlines. Has the world become so mean that a 10 Euro gift from one person to another to help them out is so rear that it needs to be shouted from the rooftops.

PS. A few people were phoning in to share their thoughts on their visits to Thailand. One of them was saying to be careful about driving with the slightest amount of alcohol. He gave the impression that there were checkpoints everywhere making people "blow into the bag" and it was an instant on the spot fine. I had to have a giggle at that one. I can imagine a bunch of tourists walking down some Soi in the belief that Thailand has very strict Alcohol laws and then coming across a bunch of motorbike taxi men have a good old "knees up" while waiting on the next customer. I have been driving here for 14 years and only had to "blow" one time and that was at a New Year's check point.

Edited by dotpoom

Feel sorry for them not.. Never seen 3 people over stay, let alone one without knowing... No money, but plans to keep holidaying in Malaysia, funny shit.........

A lot of bitter negative people on this site. Yes was stupid to overstay but I have had same happen to me , went to immigration to extend visa was told I could not because was already on overstay. They said could see why I made mistake becuase visa stamp was over another and looked lik,e differnt date. As far as not having money to travel in Malayasia ever think they had paid for hotels and tour in advance/ Ever think they may have exceded daily withdrawel amount so could not use ATM card that time at airport?

When living in USA I set up a daily withdrawel limit of $100 on my atm card in case anyone stole card thats all they could get. If I needed more could go into bank and $100 would tide me overnight. Later as I traveld I increased the limit because I needed more for shopping, restaurants and other cash needed reasons.

Education does not seem to be equally spread among and throughout readers.

THB 10.500 was the total fine.....for three "students".

Where those girls blond ? Ignorant...or just stupid? Then they should not have left their country and travel.

and here is the calculation:

7 days VISA overstay fine is THB 500/day equals THB 3.500.- per person

3 person x 3.500 equals THB 10.500.- total

Got it ???

Of course Surat Thani airport (they service Malaysia) has got an immigration office with well trained immigration officers.

Do not try to take advantage of any thing, nor the Thai hospitality.

And those three "students" did....by ignoring the law.

What would have happened in Ireland with a FARANG performing the same violation....

SAME SAME...but different ??? Travel there and find out..

I did similar for an an american lass in tears during a stopover in Korea about 20 years ago. I'm glad no one wrote about it or posted it in a forum. Would have just had forum members with little else to do:

• not reading the post
  • not reading the full article
  • not knowing basic arithmetic
  • arguing and nit picking and calling each other names.
What a sad little enclave this is. I think I'll switch it off for a couple of months but I'll probably be back again because I might just be as sad as everyone else here.
+1 well said .

+2 Yep, that defines 90% of the dross posted.

It should be made more difficult to post.

For example a random 6 character "Captcha" to be typed each time would stop a good few posts. I suggest two.

- Is your post relevent and making a positive contribution to this thread? 6 character Captcha #1.

- Please confirm you want to post this? 6 character Captcha #2.

A better question might be

"Is your post actually related to the OP or are you just moaning about people having views you dislike?"

Edited by Bluespunk

Read the story from another source, they did have enough money in their ATM but they claim the ATM at the airport only allowed them to withdraw €150 max. They enter via land border hence only 15 day entry stamp.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Your last sentence is the only thing correct. There was a lot of factual things wrong with YOUR story.

Soutpeel I sympathize ! For not sure they will stop to harass you? biggrin.png

Feel sorry for them not.. Never seen 3 people over stay, let alone one without knowing... No money, but plans to keep holidaying in Malaysia, funny shit.........

A lot of bitter negative people on this site. Yes was stupid to overstay but I have had same happen to me , went to immigration to extend visa was told I could not because was already on overstay. They said could see why I made mistake becuase visa stamp was over another and looked lik,e differnt date. As far as not having money to travel in Malayasia ever think they had paid for hotels and tour in advance/ Ever think they may have exceded daily withdrawel amount so could not use ATM card that time at airport?

When living in USA I set up a daily withdrawel limit of $100 on my atm card in case anyone stole card thats all they could get. If I needed more could go into bank and $100 would tide me overnight. Later as I traveld I increased the limit because I needed more for shopping, restaurants and other cash needed reasons.

Bleeding heart. If you don't understand foreign traveling, stay home watch TV and drink Irish whiskey.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

7x500=3500

3 People = 10,500

How could they not have immigration at an airport that serves international flights?

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

3,500 baht each x 3 girls = 10,500 bt as reported

Samui, Surat Thani does have immigration I think.

Now I am not saying that this is the case here... but the story does remind me of another from New York City. It had been going on, and I am sure still is, for years and it centered around a man who was well dressed (business suit, briefcase, tie, well groomed, etc) standing near the ticket desks at Grand Central Terminal. He would go up to other travelers and tell them that he had been mugged earlier in the day and had all his money and wallet taken and was just $20 short for his train ticket home and if they would lend him a 20 and give him their address he would get it back to them within a day or two. Of course he never did... but did manage to 'collect' around $400 an afternoon!

An overstay for such a short time at that airport these girls were at? Well... it makes me wonder about the whole thing. It certainly makes me ask whether or not any fine was a real one as the numbers just do not add up as already mentioned by other posters. Also, and this is a good point, I too am not sure if there is even an active immigration post at that airport. But there I could be wrong. It is just that the whole thing although very noble of the couple that 'helped out' sort of raises one of my eyebrows.

The numbers do add up. The people involved admitted they screwed up and overstayed. They were getting on an international flight so clearly there had to be immigration officials at the airport. The money involved was 500 Baht and the people who received it publicly thanked the people who gave it. Not sure how one can see a scam anywhere in this story ... just some young people who hopefully learned a lesson about traveling outside their home country.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Sorry but I have little sympathy for the three girls, who due to a "mix up" overstayed by 7 days, what "mix up" would that be then, difficulty with understanding the dates on the arrival card?

They were going on to Malaysia to continue their summer holidays, apparently with virtually no cash or working ATM cards, were they planning on busking then?

Seems they are just 3 scatter brains who have learnt a valuable lesson, pay attention and take responsibility for your own actions.

I agree.

Headline should read 'Three Irish students will think twice before taking a holiday in Thailand again'. How petty and cruel the red tape can be in this country. Hope this story is published in the Irish newspapers.

Try overstaying in Europe, the UK or the USA.

The odd day or two I can understand but to overstay for a week seems to me to be a bit more than forgetful.

According to the report they had no money or working credit cards so how were they going to get into Malaysia and pay for the next part of their holiday.

As for quote "How petty and cruel the red tape can be in this country." the rules and regulations are there for a reason.

Imagine 3 Thai girls wanting to get into the UK into the UK without any obvious means of support, no money or credit cards and see what happens to them. They wouldn't even get out of Thailand, but 3 Irish girls can come into Thailand easily and then stay longer than the permitted period without paying a fine. Why should they be treated differnetly than anybody else?

Most male Thai officials I have encountered, would have thought of a way around the problem

Well, I have seen that with my own eyes when Thai 'ladies' are involved. But suggesting the same 'solution' to a foreign woman might not be the best option cheesy.gif

Thai ladies overstay in Thailand?cheesy.gif