Princess Sirindhorn eases the plight of people suffering acute water shortage in Pathumthani

webfact

Princess Sirindhorn eases the plight of people suffering acute water shortage in Pathumthani

p6426-----------------------------------

BANGKOK: -- The plight of people in Pathumthani province facing acute shortage of water for consumption and drinking is now being eased after Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has instructed the Chaipattana Foundation to release raw water from the huge Rama 9 royal reservoir in Klong Luang district of Pathumthani province to help relieve troubles of the people in three districts where water shortage turns critical.

In these three districts of Klong Luang, Thanyaburi and Lamlukka, the people have lived with no water for consumption and drinking after the provincial water work plant stopped producing tap water when it ran out of raw water to produce tap water for the past three days.

The plant normally uses raw water from Rapeepat canal to produce tap water. But since drought was severer this year, the main supply canal ran dry, thus forcing the water plant to run shortage of raw water for production.

In normal situation water from the Rama 9 reservoir project is distributed to residents of drought-stricken Pathum Thani province, particularly those living in the Klong 5 and Klong 6 areas during dry season.

But now water from the reservoir are distributed to the three hardest hit districts of Pathum Thani after the people have no water even for daily use.

The princess has instructed the foundation to release water from the reservoir for 30 days until the belated rainy season arrives next month when it will ease the water crisis.

The Rama 9 reservoir project was royally initiated to provide local residents with water supply on planting off-season crop in the dry season as well as relieve water pollution in canals and communities in capital Bangkok and its surrounded areas.

It also serves as a monkey cheek project to store excess water from the upper parts in the wet season, and release it to help people during the dry season.

Up to 180,000 cubic meters of water have been reserved for the local consumption each month.

Director of North Rangsit Irrigation Project Office Mr Pisith Pibulsiri said during the rainy season, water from Pasak Jolasid reservoir is diverted to Rapeepat canal, while water diverted from Rapeepat canal is stored in the Rama 9 reservoir.

The capacity of the reservoir is 36 million meters of water. There is 23 million cubic meters of water in the reservoir at the moment. The water had recently been distributed to Pathum Thani’s Klong 5 and Klong 6 areas after the drought cut raw water supplies to the Provincial Waterworks Authority’s processing plant in Pathum Thani’s Thanyaburi district, forcing a suspension to households in many areas.

Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi, meanwhile, is also helping to purify tap water for consumption.

Secretary-general of the Chaipattana Foundation Dr Sumet Tantivejakul said the reservoir would release up to 5.5 million cubic metres of water to help to ease the shortage.

But he said first 3.3 million cubic metres of water would be distributed to drought affected farmers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/princess-sirindhorn-eases-the-plight-of-people-suffering-acute-water-shortage-in-pathumthani

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-15

Maybe I am missing something here, but why does it take instructions from Her Majesty?

If there is such water-shortage, is there no one else able and willing to release water from these sources?

Maybe I am missing something here, but why does it take instructions from Her Majesty?

If there is such water-shortage, is there no one else able and willing to release water from these sources?

She is the one who set it up and its a Royal project.. that might be the reason.

Secretary-general of the Chaipattana Foundation Dr Sumet Tantivejakul said the reservoir would release up to 5.5 million cubic metres of water to help to ease the shortage.

But he said first 3.3 million cubic metres of water would be distributed to drought affected farmers.

With decisions being made like this, I certainly hope it starts raining.

Actually, deep inside, I hope there isnt a drop of rain for a another few months. They have been talking about this drought for over 1 1/2 years now and nothing has been done to prepare.

Stupid deserves suffering.

She is the one who set it up and its a Royal project.. that might be the reason.

Well with the floods and several other problems where officials could have done something only the Royals when direct ordering something something moved.

When there is a problem and and some action that is not in the guidebook must be done you have always the risk to do something wrong. The best thing to cover yourself and make no mistake is to do nothing.

Everyone who ever worked for a state agency know that. You make something better, at best nothing happens at worse you get some major problems.

Do nothing is the way to success.

Worst of example was the floods of 2011 and the history in which the king made a detailed plan to prevent that in future. Only half was built, the rest was canceled when Banharn was PM because no corruption money. The half that was built prevented a lot more damage.

The King and his family the only one who ever cared.....

We have been getting by on town water and what was left in the 3 ongs. But last night and tonight we have had very good rain fall and the ongs at the house and tanks at the shed are full again....and the mango and lime orchards are soaked. Further out (3km) at the family plots the rain has been welcome but we aren't quite there yet with amount needed With the wifes 20 rai and the BIL's 100 rai we have our fingers crossed more rain will come.....and soon!

Actually, deep inside, I hope there isnt a drop of rain for a another few months. They have been talking about this drought for over 1 1/2 years now and nothing has been done to prepare.

I understand how you feel, but the ones who should suffer are not the poor people living in these areas but the brain dead officials who have done nothing to avert this kind of problem over many years. Sadly, I don't think this will happen whether it rains or not.

post-9891-0-13046400-1436968343_thumb.jp

For those not familiar with the size of this reservoir, this is the Rama 9 reservoir just east of the klong 5 rd.

It is just north of the Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Road and near the Rajamangala Institute of Technology Thanyaburi. RMUTT.

The Kanchanipisek,Eastern Ring Road is just to the left of the image. That's an awful lot of water relief at the right time.

Good point, but it is Her Royal Highness Princess Sirindhorn who requested the action.

Good call, make those who have absolutely no say in the water management suffer.

Yeah ! lets screw 'em, let all the stupid people suffer, you know the ones, the farmers the house owners etc., what a great show of intelligence on your part ......