The Islamization of Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

The Islamization of Thailand

BANGKOK:-- The perceived relative homogeneity of Thai culture and society is being challenged on multiple fronts today.

So much has been said about the socio-economic division within Thai society, epitomized by the ‘red’ versus ‘yellow’ shirt movements, and political outcomes over the last decade and a half. However very little is said, publicly anyway, about the growing influence upon society that Thailand’s Muslim population is now projecting at many levels.

The current Muslim population of Thailand is between 5-6%, depending upon which set of statistics you consult. This consists of a number of dispersed ethnic groups throughout the country. About 18% of Thailand’s Muslims live within the Southern provinces of Songkhla, Satun, Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat, who are primarily of the Malay, Javanese, and Acehnese origins, agricultural based, that practice the ‘Malay’ culture. These groups are domiciled around what was the former Greater Petanni Sultanate that came to being around 9th Century and was annexed by Thailand in 1909 from British influence.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Althought the relevant article is piffle, this is an issue that is very much alive for Phuket.

It is also one facet of the many reasons why I recently chose to move from the Island.

There is another popular thread running talking about how dead Patong is at the moment. That may be true but what has not been discussed is the significant shift in the demographic of the visitors to Phuket. There is a huge influx of chinese. That is a given. But they are zero dollar tourists, who rarely venture out of their packaged group environment to interface with workaday thai folk. If the Chinese stock market continues to tank then these visitors may well dry up, or if they tire of the scams, for example being bused in to a mall to buy latex products that were imported from China and then put in a bag labelled made in Thailand, they will go elsewhere.

But, chinese aside, who are the new source markets for Phuket tourists? What I see on the ground are morrocans, kuwaitees, iranians, and other muslim visitors. A growing trend I have observed is muslim men, with their wifes, walking down Bangla. Why on earth a married muslim would want to walk with his wife on a street filled with prostitutes and bars selling alcohol is beyond me but there you go. As the Chinese dry up, or wise up, to Phuket, the remaining tourist demographic will be Muslim men. Of course they are only staying in Patong for its great mosque. If, in the near future, the bulk of vistors to Phuket are muslim, it would seem safe to assume that the tourist areas will eventually undergo total Islamization. Not a big leap for Kamala, or Bang Tao.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

post-90851-0-43641400-1436952592_thumb.j

God Almighty, it's this nonsense again. Basically, halal food is harmless, and kebabs are good. It's not a problem if these kebab shops appear in lots of places. I was pissed out of mind on Friday night, and had a extra-large doner kebab. The only problem being that it cost £7.00, seven pounds, that's a bit over ten US dollars.

attachicon.gifTurkish-Doner-Lamb-Kebab2-iStock.jpg

God Almighty, it's this nonsense again. Basically, halal food is harmless, and kebabs are good. It's not a problem if these kebab shops appear in lots of places. I was pissed out of mind on Friday night, and had a extra-large doner kebab. The only problem being that it cost £7.00, seven pounds, that's a bit over ten US dollars.

Hilarious. The net result of Phuket morphing into an Islamic community is an increased availability of kebabs.

Althought the relevant article is piffle, this is an issue that is very much alive for Phuket.

It is also one facet of the many reasons why I recently chose to move from the Island.

There is another popular thread running talking about how dead Patong is at the moment. That may be true but what has not been discussed is the significant shift in the demographic of the visitors to Phuket. There is a huge influx of chinese. That is a given. But they are zero dollar tourists, who rarely venture out of their packaged group environment to interface with workaday thai folk. If the Chinese stock market continues to tank then these visitors may well dry up, or if they tire of the scams, for example being bused in to a mall to buy latex products that were imported from China and then put in a bag labelled made in Thailand, they will go elsewhere.

But, chinese aside, who are the new source markets for Phuket tourists? What I see on the ground are morrocans, kuwaitees, iranians, and other muslim visitors. A growing trend I have observed is muslim men, with their wifes, walking down Bangla. Why on earth a married muslim would want to walk with his wife on a street filled with prostitutes and bars selling alcohol is beyond me but there you go. As the Chinese dry up, or wise up, to Phuket, the remaining tourist demographic will be Muslim men. Of course they are only staying in Patong for its great mosque. If, in the near future, the bulk of vistors to Phuket are muslim, it would seem safe to assume that the tourist areas will eventually undergo total Islamization. Not a big leap for Kamala, or Bang Tao.

If that is the tourist demographic they are aiming to attract then fair enough, be more Muslim friendly.

However the term islaminisation has darker connotations than a method of attracting tourists.

This article's title suggests a more sinister meaning and that is pure BS (not your post, which frankly was a more interesting read)

Basically, halal food is harmless

Not if you're a sheep or a chicken it's not. You end up being barbarically slaughtered to satisfy the dictats of a 7th century Arabian war lord.

The butchery of animals is barbaric in any slaughterhouse.

As for factory farm chicken sheds, a vision of hell. I lasted one day in one at a farm. Appalling experience.

It's not harmless. For some people with religious beliefs they cannot consume meat from an animal which was made to suffer at the point of death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe some propaganda but makes for an interesting view.

This is very worrying. I think this issue needs addressing asap. This is a violent and peaodaphiloc religion which needs to be restrained.

Dear Thailand: welcome to 21st century. BTW according to these numbers, was part of what would become Malaysia for over a thousand years. You ignored and/or abused them for over a century. Gee I wonder why many might want to be part of Malaysia? Time to start treating all citizens with a bit of respect, regardless of religion, culture, language..... actually, past time.

Maybe some propaganda but makes for an interesting view.

This is very worrying. I think this issue needs addressing asap. This is a violent and peaodaphiloc religion which needs to be restrained.

I suspect that description applies to the above poster too......

It's not harmless. For some people with religious beliefs they cannot consume meat from an animal which was made to suffer at the point of death.

Also some people without religious belief don't want meat that was tortured to death...Me for example.

It is bad enough how food animals are treated but halal makes it even worse. Still Kebab is great food, if only I could get a not halal version.....

If that is the tourist demographic they are aiming to attract then fair enough, be more Muslim friendly.

However the term islaminisation has darker connotations than a method of attracting tourists.

This article's title suggests a more sinister meaning and that is pure BS (not your post, which frankly was a more interesting read)

No it is not the tourism demographic they WANT to attract. There is endless talk about pursuing the QUALITY tourists. But after witnessing, either first hand, or via social media, the environmental degradation, trash and fetid waterways and beaches, road carnage, scams, and taxi mafia, quality tourists no longer visit Phuket. The island is now scraping the very bottom of the tourist barrel. Just before I left phuket I went to a street fair up the back of Patong that had a great traditional Thai puppet show visiting on tour from another province. While standing in the crowd there I noticed a Thai grand father with his daughter and her loog krung son. The grandson clearly had a middle eastern father, but he was no where to be seen. The daughter, who I am guessing from her tatooes worked in a bar had a black eye and a bruised cheek. The bargirls who thought they were doing it tough with their old, fat, drunk western boyfriends are in for a rude shock moving forward. Mohamed aint gonna pony up for no sick buffalo.

Be glad you don't know what kind of meat they use for these giro kebabs.....

Dear Thailand: welcome to 21st century. BTW according to these numbers, was part of what would become Malaysia for over a thousand years. You ignored and/or abused them for over a century. Gee I wonder why many might want to be part of Malaysia? Time to start treating all citizens with a bit of respect, regardless of religion, culture, language..... actually, past time.

and the Muslims treat all citizens with respect regardless of religion, culture etc?????

No it is not the tourism demographic they WANT to attract. There is endless talk about pursuing the QUALITY tourists. But after witnessing, either first hand, or via social media, the environmental degradation, trash and fetid waterways and beaches, road carnage, scams, and taxi mafia, quality tourists no longer visit Phuket. The island is now scraping the very bottom of the tourist barrel. Just before I left phuket I went to a street fair up the back of Patong that had a great traditional Thai puppet show visiting on tour from another province. While standing in the crowd there I noticed a Thai grand father with his daughter and her loog krung son. The grandson clearly had a middle eastern father, but he was no where to be seen. The daughter, who I am guessing from her tatooes worked in a bar had a black eye and a bruised cheek. The bargirls who thought they were doing it tough with their old, fat, drunk western boyfriends are in for a rude shock moving forward. Mohamed aint gonna pony up for no sick buffalo.

This is the whole thing that irks everyone about the arabs. In everything that they do, they have a deep set need for sadistic forms of death. They don't just kill their enemies they have to do every type of demeaning thing to the corpse that they can. They have zero respect for women whatsoever. In every instance of modern day slavery it is always the arabs. How ironic that they can also produce people like Kahlil Gibran.

I spent some time working in an office in Bond St London near a branch of Victoria's Secret, an erotic lingerie store. A constant stream of limousines from which burka clad females would emerge before exiting with huge amounts of carrier bags. Seeing a London taxi called to take the excess bags was a common occurrence. I'm sure that this was being done not only with hubbies wallet but also his approval.