Immigration procedure at Bangkok airport

camsouth

my wife is flying back to chiang mai from russia has her mulit entry ect . my question is after landing dose she go pick up her baggage then go to passport control or go to passport control first .? she has connection flight to chiang mai 1 hr 30 min after she arrives will she have the time to make that flight?and will she have to recheck her baggage on the domestic airline ? everyone dose it different in phuket we did passport control first no need to pick up bag and recheck it . any help would be great

First off.....did she check her bags all the way through to her final destination? Baggage claim ticket will show airport final destination for bags and if checked through.

Assume she is flying into Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang first (VERY important to know which because her flight to Chiang Mai may be from a different airport.....you don't mention which airport she flies into)....you go thru Passport check/immigration first then have the baggage claim area (she may want to hang around to see if her luggage shows up if she doesn't know if it's checked through)..... which when done you finally go through Customs

IF she is flying into Suvarnabhumi her flight to Chiang Mai MAY be from Don Muang.

1 1/2 hours would seem like plenty of time unless she is arriving in Suvarnabhumi from Russia and then catching a flight to Chian Mai from Don Muang...Then she's cutting it REALLY close!

Edited by beachproperty

Just write down the flight numbers.

(if its a nonstop flight she will surely come with Aeroflot to Suv.)

With this information it would be easier to answer (and would cover what @beachproperty asks).

Edited by KhunBENQ

ok she is flying from st petersberg to moscow moscow to bankok and bankok to chiang mai flys on Aeroflot arrives at 8;30 am to bankok 10 am to chaing mai same airport

Edited by camsouth

no she flys into bankok from russia and then to chiang mai i just wont to know if 1 1/2 hrs she needs to recheck her bag all fiights Aeroflot last leg Aeroflot –

Operated by Bangkok Airways from Suvarnabhumi to chiang mai

Should be no problem since flight from Russia arrives at Suvarnabhumi (BKK) and her Bangkok airways flight to Chiang Mai leaves from there also.

As for need to recheck baggage ....probably ...as it is an international flight to a domestic flight so needs to go through customs and rechecked.

1 1/2 hours should (whistling.gif ) be OK ....again depends on if her flight is late from Russia, does her bag come out early, how long is the que at immigration etc.

Should be no problem since flight from Russia arrives at Suvarnabhumi (BKK) and her Bangkok airways flight to Chiang Mai leaves from there also.

As for need to recheck baggage ....probably ...as it is an international flight to a domestic flight so needs to go through customs and rechecked.

1 1/2 hours should (whistling.gif ) be OK ....again depends on if her flight is late from Russia, does her bag come out early, how long is the que at immigration etc.

ya i thought she will have to recheck the bag , so she will go thur passport control then baggage pick up. well is she misses the 10 am she can catch the 1 .15 flight i think

And if she misses it:

not much to worry about if she has some money at hand for rebooking.

Bangkok Airways alone has a total of four (!) more flights to Chiang Mai.

12:30h, 13:30h, 14:35h, 19:00h

Plenty of flights with other airlines.

11 more flights after 10:00h.

No need to worry!

Edited by KhunBENQ

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/check-in-through

She will have no problem and don' t have to care for her baggage. She will only do immigration in bkk and go to the gate for her chiang mai flight. Normaly 30 min enough.

I believe if you read the information on the site provided it is for OUTGOING international flights NOT incoming flights of which she will be on.

Plus for outgoing flights .....it provides.... EXCEPT SU-AEROFLOT

Normaly Outgoing will be handled same like Incoming.

Best she contact BangkokAirways to be safe.

I believe incoming ....which she is....is handled differently.

When you arrive in ANY country you must go through immigration AND customs (which means you need your bags AND need to recheck them in as there is NO customs check on local flights) before boarding your internal (local flight within country) flight .....

.if you are connecting to another international flight ....Customs and immigration are bypassed as you just stay in the secured area of the airport.

Edited by beachproperty

I used BangkokAirways many times as connection flight and it was allways Outgoing same as Incoming. No matter to/from which country i came.

And i do it everytime the same way. Landing in bkk and clear immigration(immigration for domestic connection flights) and clear and get my baggage in hkt.

KISS is also mostly the fastest way.

I used BangkokAirways many times as connection flight and it was allways Outgoing same as Incoming. No matter to/from which country i came.

And i do it everytime the same way. Landing in bkk and clear immigration(immigration for domestic connection flights) and clear and get my baggage in hkt.

If that's the case....then easy way to smuggle stuff in. NO customs check.

No, I'm afraid you don't yet have a clear understanding.

Your wife can clear both Immigration & Customs on-arrival in Bangkok, then check-in in Departures with Bangkok-Airways, as a normal domestic-passenger.

Or, if her first airline and Bangkok-Air have an agreement, she can book her luggage from original check-in all-the-way-through to Chiang Mai. She would then follow the transfer to Phuket/Samui/ChiangMai/HatYai/etcetera signs on-arrival, check-in at the Bangkok-Air (or THAI) transfer-desk, clear Immigration in the small/less-busy transfer-area & take her carry-on luggage through security-check & proceed for the onward-flight to Chiang Mai.

In Chiang Mai she will be directed to collect her hold-luggage from the International-Arrivals area, and will only-then clear Customs with it. So you'll meet her outside Chiang Mai International-Arrivals, not Domestic-Arrivals.

The advantages of the second alternative, when it is available, are that you don't have to clear Thai Immigration at the sometimes-busy main Bangkok-Immigration, and you don't have to collect your luggage or clear Customs until the very end of your trip.

No, I'm afraid you don't yet have a clear understanding.

Your wife can clear both Immigration & Customs on-arrival in Bangkok, then check-in in Departures with Bangkok-Airways, as a normal domestic-passenger.

Or, if her first airline and Bangkok-Air have an agreement, she can book her luggage from original check-in all-the-way-through to Chiang Mai. She would then follow the transfer to Phuket/Samui/ChiangMai/HatYai/etcetera signs on-arrival, check-in at the Bangkok-Air (or THAI) transfer-desk, clear Immigration in the small/less-busy transfer-area & take her carry-on luggage through security-check & proceed for the onward-flight to Chiang Mai.

In Chiang Mai she will be directed to collect her hold-luggage from the International-Arrivals area, and will only-then clear Customs with it. So you'll meet her outside Chiang Mai International-Arrivals, not Domestic-Arrivals.

The advantages of the second alternative, when it is available, are that you don't have to clear Thai Immigration at the sometimes-busy main Bangkok-Immigration, and you don't have to collect your luggage or clear Customs until the very end of your trip.

well bankok air and Aeroflot do have an agreement for that so i will pass this on to her

When you arrive in ANY country you must go through immigration AND customs (which means you need your bags AND need to recheck them in as there is NO customs check on local flights) before boarding your internal (local flight within country) flight .....

When the wife and I fly back from BKK, the last few times we've used Qatar, who are part of the same alliance as Aegean, the domestic carrier. Our baggage has always been checked straight onto our domestic flight at ATH, and we don't see it until we arrive at our final destination. On a domestic flight. With no customs. Our local airport is an international airport, but our baggage just comes out with all the local stuff. I would guess that it gets X-rayed when it is transferred at Athens, and if there was anything they thought suspicious we'd know about it. However, it appears to go direct from BKK to our final destination without going through customs.

To me it looks like SU and PG have a codeshare and interline agreement.

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/check-in-through

Is this all on one ticket? If, so, one may be able to check bags through to CNX, clearing mid-field (A-B-C-D terminal junction) Immigration (& security) at BKK and Customs at CNX. Boarding pass for BKK-CNX may be issued at initial check-in.

If not, at BKK, clear Immigration, claim bags, clear Customs, head up from level 2 to level 4, check-in with PG at Counter F.

MCT at BKK for int'l to dom is 1:15

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/check-in-airport

If it's all one ticket, with a PG codeshare then the traveler may be "protected" on a later flight, space available.

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/224-international-to-domestic-with-a-boarding-pass

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1082-international-to-domestic-no-boarding-pass

Edited by bamnutsak

bags where checked thur to chaing mai . but she was met when she got off the plane by airport staff and taken to passport control. in bkk . took ten min and was taken by staff to her gate for flight to chiang mai , then met in chiang mai taken to pick up luggage on international side of airport . picked her up there