Second marriage extension.

Went off down to Sri Ratcha immigration this morning for my second extension based on marriage. Got there just as they opened and got the 3rd ticket for the marriage desk. After about an hour and a half was called to desk only to find out that under the new regulations 2 witnesses were still required and as there were no children involved immigration would have to visit and take the photographs. It was stated that the immigration visit would be unscheduled.

I asked if I could change to retirement, she looked at the embassy letter and said no problem and sent me to the other desk. 30 minutes later I walked out with a retirement extension, re entry permit and a residency certificate.

Married life has never been easy but they can still find ways to make it more difficult.

There is no new regulation it is just a local policy for the witnesses and home visit.

If your income letter was enough for retirement perhaps they were telling you about some rules to push you to get it.

There is no new regulation it is just a local policy for the witnesses and home visit.

If your income letter was enough for retirement perhaps they were telling you about some rules to push you to get it

The very first thing she said was had we brought witnesses, last year we were told witnesses were only required for the first application. There was no home visits last year.

The second thing she did was hand back all the photographs and told my wife how they would be done. It was not until my wife explained what had changed that I then suggested a retirement extension.

It may not be a national thing but Sri Ratcha has altered the office layout, introduced more staff and changed the requirements on the marriage extension.

Edited by sandyf

If your income letter was enough for retirement perhaps they were telling you about some rules to push you to get it

The very first thing she said was had we brought witnesses, last year we were told witnesses were only required for the first application. There was no home visits last year.

The second thing she did was hand back all the photographs and told my wife how they would be done. It was not until my wife explained what had changed that I then suggested a retirement extension.

It may not be a national thing but Sri Ratcha has altered the office layout, introduced more staff and changed the requirements on the marriage extension.

When I went to do my second year they wanted to have the owner if the house present and they wanted to do an unscheduled visit to my home and stated they would also interview my neighbors..

They also required almost all documents and photos to be stamped at the city hall office.

When I went to do my second year they wanted to have the owner if the house present and they wanted to do an unscheduled visit to my home and stated they would also interview my neighbors..

They also required almost all documents and photos to be stamped at the city hall office.

Did you comply with all the "requirements" and receive the extension ............Or ?

I have had a "marriage visa" as you call it for four years now and have never had to produce any witnesses or had any home visits.

A Ubonjoe said, this is probably something your local Immigration office has decided to require...

Have you considered moving to a different area?

I would!

Edited by willyumiii

Did you comply with all the "requirements" and receive the extension ............Or ?

Of course I did. What choice did I have since I am not old enough for retirement.

Of course I did. What choice did I have since I am not old enough for retirement.

Exactly, fortunately with the rate up a bit I had a way out. The way that one obtains permission to stay in Thailand is very much subject to personal circumstances and the choices you may have to make. I just hope that one day we can all become members of the 'don't have a problem' brigade.

If the rate drops next year and I fall short of the retirement criteria I would settle for the OAP Non Imm O rather than the current marriage requirements in this area.