Injured sea turtle rescued on Phuket beach

webfact

Injured sea turtle rescued on Phuket beach
Eakkapop Thongtub

1436940614_1-org.jpg
Rescue workers help transport the injured turtle to the Marine Biology Centre.

PHUKET: -- An Olive Ridley sea turtle with its flipper slashed was found washed up on Mai Khao Beach yesterday night (July 14). Officials have said that the damaged flipper was caused by a fishing net.

At 7pm yesterday, Kusoldharm rescue workers and Phuket Marine Biology Centre officials were called to help transport a 5-7-year-old male Olive Ridley that had been found washed up on the beach in Tha Chatchai. Its left flipper had been slashed.

An official from the Phuket Marine Biology Centre said, “The wound is fresh and the turtle 's flipper was bleeding when lifeguards found it.

“There were no other injuries found on the turtle but it was very weak due to loss of blood.

“The turtle was given first aid before being placed it a temporary pool with the recently rescued dolphin.

“Both marine animals will be monitiored 24-hours a day,” he said.

One of the lifeguards who discovered the turtle said, “I was walking down the beach monitoring tourists when I saw a wave sweep the turtle onto the beach. When I noticed it was injured I called the Marine Biology Centre.”

A second official from the Marine Biology Centre added, “Having examined the wound, we think the turtle got tangled in a fishing net. Male Olive Ridleys are considered rare in Thailand and we usually only find females.”

The official concluded by saying, “Fisherman need to help us preserve and protect marine animals. If a turtle gets trapped or tangled in a fishing net don't just cut the net and dump it in sea. Free the turtle from the net.

“When it come to exotic and rare animals everybody has to help, especially here in Mai Khao beach which is a habitat for all species of sea turtles. Every year many of them will come here to lay their eggs.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/injured-sea-turtle-rescued-on-phuket-beach-53214.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-15