CHANGE OF LAW catches up with invalid visa stamp.

Just prior to my 3rd 90 day stamp on an Imm O 1 year multiple entry Family Visit Visa, I was called somewhat urgently to Bangkok from Isaan. I had to stay a few days and thought I would just pay the overstay fine or 8 days. 4,000 thb.

All going well. I paid the fine at the Friendship Bridge and someone dressed like a Brigadier General stamped my passport for another 90 days.

Coming back an hour later, some lowly Lieutenant observed the Enter By Date was over a year ago, although the Sydney Consulate stated quite clearly, it was valid 1 year from the entry date and to enter before June 2015. It was explained that the year was “over” on June 2015, not October, which was 1 year from the entry date.

I went back to the Brigadier General who just smiled and said “No good. Visa finish.”

They got their fine money and cancelled the visa giving me a 15 day tourist visa, explaining that my perplexity should indeed be gratitude that I got 15 days to sort myself out.

Consulting one of my local “Immigration” experts who can arrange anything, I was told this was due to a change in the “Law”.

Does anyone have any light to shed on this, apparently grossly unfair development. I thought they were trying to make it more user friendly for those of us with families here.

• Like 1

There has been no change of law. Thai visa have always been valid to untry until the date stamped as "entry before". The consulate gave you wrong information.

If you are married to a Thai. you can obtain a 60 days extension at immigration, cost Bt 1,900.

• Like 2

You has an enter before date on it and that is the last day you can enter the country using the visa. It it has always been that way for at least 20 years I know about.

Time to make a trip to Savannakhet for a new non-o visa.

• Like 1

Consulting one of my local “Immigration” experts who can arrange anything, I was told this was due to a change in the “Law”.

Obviously not an expert. As said no law has been changed and the reason is on your visa - must be used date is just that - you must make your final use before the end of that day. Once in Thailand you can stay the normal permitted to stay time (the visa is just for entry). In the case of a multi entry non immigrant O visa the max allowed entry is 90 days.

• Like 1

it was valid 1 year from the entry date and to enter before June 2015. It was explained that the year was “over” on June 2015, not October, which was 1 year from the entry date.

The visa would have been good for one year from the date it was issued by the consulate or embassy, not one year from the date you first entered.

As said above the "use by" date should have been printed on the visa sticker. No new laws or rules.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

You has an enter before date on it and that is the last day you can enter the country using the visa. It it has always been that way for at least 20 years I know about.

Time to make a trip to Savannakhet for a new non-o visa.

Thanks everybody and thanks Ubonjoe.

So apparently I was told the wrong thing by the Consulate in Sydney.

Savannakhet? Is there a full consulate there? Would it be better than Vientianne to obtain a new non-o family visit visa?

Do you happen to know how long a visa I can get there? I was told that I can only get 3 months in Vientianne.

I would like to get a one year multiple entry.

I have also been told I can get an extension to this 15 days I have been given. Is that so?

Savannakhet will supply the same one year multi entry O visa for marriage to a Thai. Suspect one year extensions from immigration using 400k bank account or 40k income methods are not a good option for you?

Will let Ubonjoe provide current details as he is very much up on them.

Vientiane will only do a single entry non-o visa.

Savannakhet is an official consulate and can do everything an embassy consular section can.

You can get the multiple entry non-o there with no financial proof needed, You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed and dated copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. The fee will be 5000 baht. Apply by 11 am and pickup the next afternoon at 2 pm.

You can apply for a 60 day extension of your 15 day entry to visit your wife at an immigration office.

whistling.gif Since at least October 2010, when I got my original 1 year Non O visa in Hull, England a one year Non O multi entry visa has been valid for one year after the Date of Issue by the Thai consulate or embassy that issues it.

I got my visa on 15 October 2010, and it expired on 15 October 2011.

Now you can extend that visa annually based on retirement in Thailand if you meet the financial and age requirements.

That's what I did and have done annually until now.

whistling.gif Since at least October 2010, when I got my original 1 year Non O visa in Hull, England a one year Non O multi entry visa has been valid for one year after the Date of Issue by the Thai consulate or embassy that issues it.

I got my visa on 15 October 2010, and it expired on 15 October 2011.

Now you can extend that visa annually based on retirement in Thailand if you meet the financial and age requirements.

That's what I did and have done annually until now.

Your expiry date would have been the 14 October 2011

The OP is talking about a Non-O for family visit, not retirement

Edited by bigt3116

Savannakhet is an official consulate and can do everything an embassy consular section can.

You can get the multiple entry non-o there with no financial proof needed, You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed and dated copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. The fee will be 5000 baht. Apply by 11 am and pickup the next afternoon at 2 pm.

You can apply for a 60 day extension of your 15 day entry to visit your wife at an immigration office.

Thanks Ubonjoe, however we are not married.

The 1 year multiple entery Non O family visit visa was originally granted in Sydney.

I believe my family visit depends on

1. My daughter's birth certificate and now, although not necessary, a recently acquired "legal father" status paper.

2. My yellow house book and as much documentation I can back it up with. eg

My daughter's recently acquired ID card

Her mother's presence, the mother's housebook, ID card, and some photographic history.

I also have my daughter's Australian passport and Thai passport.

You will need the proof you are the legal father of your child.by way of legitimization.

You will need you child's house book registry.

Your daughter will need to go with you with her mother.

The only successful multiple entry non-o visa application reports I have seen was then entire family was present for the application as proof they were living together as family (de facto marriage).

• Like 1

The 1 year multiple entery Non O family visit visa was originally granted in Sydney.

1. My daughter's birth certificate and now, although not necessary, a recently acquired "legal father" status paper.

Her mother's presence, the mother's housebook, ID card, and some photographic history.

You can apply for a 60 days extension or one year year (with visa conversion and financial proof) at Immigration. Otherwise you can try going with the entire family to Savannakhet for the same visa you had, or in Vientane for a single-entry.

Edited by paz

You can apply for a 60 days extension or one year year (with visa conversion and financial proof) at Immigration. Otherwise you can try going with the entire family to Savannakhet for the same visa you had, or in Vientane for a single-entry.

Thank you and I also understand that provided I do not mess up the end date again, i can get a 3 month extension on the first year and then a further one month after that, making it 16 months in total.

You can get a new 90 day entry on or before the enter before date on your visa. By doing one just before the enter before date you can get almost 15 months of total stay You can then get a 60 day extension that would give you almost 17 months before you need to get a new visa.

• Like 1

You will need the proof you are the legal father of your child.by way of legitimization.

You will need you child's house book registry.

Your daughter will need to go with you with her mother.

The only successful multiple entry non-o visa application reports I have seen was then entire family was present for the application as proof they were living together as family (de facto marriage).

Due to the distance and my daughter not being well, I am going to Nong Khai/ Vientianne where the option is only three months single entry Non O.

Do you know if the criteria for the daughter being present for that is as stringent as the year's multiple entry?

She is only 7 and has a fever and bad cough.

Also my current visitor's visa finishes on Wednesday 15th. If I went tomorrow Tuesday does that make me a day late when I come back and what are the

implications of that?

And also with the 15 day visitor's visa I was granted after the Non O was cancelled, do you think that is open for extension? If so, I can visit Immigration in Bueng Kan and see to that. It would give me a chance to get her well enough. I believe there can be 4 hour queues at Immigration, up there.

Today is the 20th. If it ended on the 15th you are already late.

As soon as you leave the country your current entry ends and you get new one when you re-enter.

Your daughter would not need to be with you to apply for a single entry non-o-visa.

You can apply for a 30 day extension of your 15 day visa exempt entry (not a visa) on the date shown on the entry stamp without being on overstay.