Thai editorial: Ploughing back what we reap

webfact

EDITORIAL
Ploughing back what we reap

The Nation

Ordinary Thais' everyday acts of generosity make society a better place to live, despite the ruthless practices of our super-rich

BANGKOK: -- The oft-heard phrase "There's no such thing as a free lunch" is meant to underscore the commercial reality of the world in which we live. But this harsh "rule" is being flouted daily by generous businesspeople who give away their goods to citizens in need.

The 68-year-old owner of an optics shop in Bangkok donates about 1,000 pairs of eyeglasses every month to underprivileged people with vision problems. The generous act costs him about Bt60,000 each month, but he says his business can cover it.

In Nakhon Si Thammarat, a 61-year-old woman who runs a garment store gives away 300 boxes of food every day, something she's done for more than two years. She explains that she's earned a lot from society and wants to give something back in return.

These are just two examples of the many people who choose to plough back some of the profit they reap from society. The vast majority of these everyday philanthropists are not among the ranks of the rich. They just want to use part of their modest resources to extend a helping hand to those at the bottom of the ladder. In doing so, they reject the ruthless commercial imperative to exploit others in order to accumulate as much personal wealth as possible.

This spirit of generosity extends beyond those who donate material goods and to those who volunteer their services for free or engage in campaigns for charity.

Each of these individuals makes life - and society - more tolerable.

At the other end of the scale are the people who go about amassing wealth with no concern for society's wellbeing. They exploit their compatriots by overpricing goods and services to make exorbitant profits, and think nothing of cheating the system to get ahead.

For many such individuals, the vast wealth they've already accumulated does nothing to staunch their appetite for more. And any social or legal obstacle to their greed is viewed merely as a temporary barrier that can eased open with money or influence.

Certainly, there are plenty of wealthy people who have made their money by honest means and contribute regularly to society in return. In the West a significant number of billionaires choose to donate generously to worthy social and medical causes, leaving only a small fraction of their huge fortunes to their children. This practice is incomprehensible to some greedy Thai businesspeople.

American philanthropist Warren Buffett has encouraged his fellow billionaires to give away at least half of their fortunes. The founder of the Giving Pledge non-profit organisation added this message for those who have yet to join in: "If you have trouble living on $500 million, I'm going to put out a book, 'How to Live on $500 million'. Think about whether the other $500 million might do more for humanity than it will for you and your family."

Most of us will admit to putting ourselves and our families before the greater interests of humanity, but it doesn't hurt to give back to society from time to time. And perhaps, by the everyday acts of kindness that make society a better place to live, we can help inspire others to follow suit.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Ploughing-back-what-we-reap-30264554.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-16

Don't understand the gist of this article, is it a feel good article that shows us that good will, honesty

and good people are all around us? well this much we know, we also know that for every good

Samaritan there are thousand of no so nice people also around us... and we also all know that you

have to put back where you take from and all the other do good deeds people need to do...

so have I missed something reading this article?

Many people say the rich are getting richer whilst the poor get poorer but it's great to see and hear about people who have got rich off the efforts of others, workforce etc and then giving back to their communities and the poor.

I personally knew a guy in the UK who was a very rich man who was an ex miner who became one of the wealthiest people in the UK and was in the top half of the UK rich list before his unexpected death due to an accident, I feel honoured to have known such a good man who gave away a lot of his wealth and just before his death he had reportedly given to his home town Council a cheque for Ten million UK pounds to his city of birth , this was on top of many other kinds acts of generosity he gave money to over numerous years.

He once said that people who get rich of the backs of other people have a moral obligation to give back to their communities and other poor people....

RIP JH....

The world needs more philanthropists who give back and I admire them for their giving back.

Don't understand the gist of this article, is it a feel good article that shows us that good will, honesty

and good people are all around us? well this much we know, we also know that for every good

Samaritan there are thousand of no so nice people also around us... and we also all know that you

have to put back where you take from and all the other do good deeds people need to do...

so have I missed something reading this article?

ezzra... as an editorial, this is an opinion piece and I think you got the gist correct. However, I think the odds you quote of 1,000 to 1 are far from correct. For me, the article is a reminder that for all the negative comments about Thailand on TV and elsewhere (and yes, I am guilty of this where appropriate), there are probably more kind-hearted people here than a lot of so-called "developed" countries.

Yes there indeed are some generous rich people. Far too few however. I've found poorer people are far more generous. Many such good Thai people all around this country.

Edited by jerojero

There is more kindness than unkindness here in Thailand, much more goodness than evil, and much more compassion than is in the new, improved Paranoid Big Brother State the US has sadly become.

sad.png

The U.S. is no longer a democratic republic, it is a corporatocracy. The theory of "trickle-down economics" depends completely on the ethical behavior of those on the top, and we see how that's gone horribly awry. Capitalism is dead, cronyism is alive and well and flourishing in 'Merica.

There is more kindness than unkindness here in Thailand, much more goodness than evil, and much more compassion than is in the new, improved Paranoid Big Brother State the US has sadly become.

sad.png

The U.S. is no longer a democratic republic, it is a corporatocracy. The theory of "trickle-down economics" depends completely on the ethical behavior of those on the top, and we see how that's gone horribly awry. Capitalism is dead, cronyism is alive and well and flourishing in 'Merica.

Exactly. Just look who is running for Republican presidential nomination... Bunch of corporate dorks, or politicians backed fully by corporate dorks.