What With Coup, Visa Run Advice Needed.

The title pretty much says it. Was planning a visa run to cambodia (jackgolf) today. Visa not up until Friday. Would it be better to hold off. I gather the advice from british embassy for peeps in Bkk is to stay put for timebeing.

Anyone with previous experience? How does this affect things like overstay? Is coup a valid excuse? Are we more likely to be red stamped or are there risks of being trapped at the border for instance?

Maybe daft questions or over reaction, but really don't know and not sure of best plan of action. Might be a bit like asking how long's a piece of string. Appreciate that, however have baby due to be born in the next couple of days, so really don't want to screw this up.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks Roger

Hi Roger,

I would tend to try and get it done myself. I lived in BKK 14 months, and made about 10 trips to Poi Pet. I started off taking the busses, then discovered renting a van with a driver was worth the money to me. Either way, we got stopped at least once each trip by the boys in green with the guns, who were looking for somebody else (not me). Close to the border, they were definitely on the hunt for druggies. The trip was never without its perils, but traffic perils mainly.

You know, I think I would take a hard look at flying out and back. I'd say there would be less chance of running into some nut case bureaurocrat who decides this is a good day to make up a new rule....

Yes, maybe flying commercially would be worth the extra money this time.

Good luck.

PS being a dreamer, wouldn't it be nice if this event undid the recent changes in the tourist visa rules?

DB

Don't overstay. Nomatter the reason they will flag you.

Agreed, but I think staying put for a day or two is good advice.

Indeed, if he has days to spare, even though it might mean going the last day or second last day, perhaps that advisable these days.

I would go second last to always have a backup in case of SNAFU.

Cheers for the feedback. Just phoned Jack golf and they are still leaving as usual at 7.00. Did ask about the coup, but not sure if my question really registered. Think I will hold on till Friday.

Thanks again

Roger

We're in the same boat here: fiance's visa is up tomorrow. I'll wait for the smoke to clear today then call or stop by Jack's Golf in the afternoon, and post whatever i learn here.