Fatal accident on the 118 highway involving foreigner

maanoi

I just rode by the spot where it happened and stopped on the side of the road for a minute- man, that would have been a really difficult position for a rider to dig himself out of, even at the speed limit (and supposedly this rider was above that)- brakes wouldn't have done much to slow him down at such a short distance, and only a quick (really quick, with perhaps less than a second to decide what to do) counter-steer would have given the rider a chance to escape (and he wasnt on the ideal bike or tires to do it).

Whenever I read about a bike accident, I always wonder what would have happened to me had I been in the same situation (or if I would have been in the situation at all)- without a healthy dose of good fortune, I think just about any rider would likely have been caught out regardless of skill level or experience. Speaking for myself, I would have had a chance, but certainly no guarantee. It was certainly a section of that road to be on guard, but more for a car or truck to be pulling out of the parking lot into the road rather than a truck making a quick U-turn from the left lane (it that's what happened). While it was difficult to tell as it rained last night and the road was mostly clean, it appeared that the impact happened in the U-turn lane (judging by scratches in the road, though they weren't necessarily from this incident), so the rider appeared to be moving over to the right to avoid the truck, but he didn't make it far enough.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just rode by the spot where it happened and stopped on the side of the road for a minute- man, that would have been a really difficult position for a rider to dig himself out of, even at the speed limit (and supposedly this rider was above that)- brakes wouldn't have done much to slow him down at such a short distance, and only a quick (really quick, with perhaps less than a second to decide what to do) counter-steer would have given the rider a chance to escape (and he wasnt on the ideal bike or tires to do it).

Whenever I read about a bike accident, I always wonder what would have happened to me had I been in the same situation (or if I would have been in the situation at all)- without a healthy dose of good fortune, I think just about any rider would likely have been caught out regardless of skill level or experience. Speaking for myself, I would have had a chance, but certainly no guarantee. It was certainly a section of that road to be on guard, but more for a car or truck to be pulling out of the parking lot into the road rather than a truck making a quick U-turn from the left lane (it that's what happened). While it was difficult to tell as it rained last night and the road was mostly clean, it appeared that the impact happened in the U-turn lane (judging by scratches in the road, though they weren't necessarily from this incident), so the rider appeared to be moving over to the right to avoid the truck, but he didn't make it far enough.

counter-steer would have given the rider a chance to escape (and he wasnt on the ideal bike or tires to do it).

I figure that you mean if he had taken evasive action which is a lot more than just counter steering he may have escaped collision...just maybe.

As for not being on "ideal bike or tyres"...i disagree..even on a pushbike , counter steering is part and parcel of riding and taking evasive action at times of imminent danger.

I think just about any rider would likely have been caught out regardless of skill level or experience. Speaking for myself, I would have had a chance, but certainly no guarantee.

I agree with your first sentence....But interested in the 2nd,....could you explain why you, yourself may have had a chance when just about any rider would likely have been caught out regardless of skill level or experience...Do you have something special going on?

Edited by andreandre

There are no underpass's or fly overs on the 118.wink.png Next idea.

There is an overpass/underpass though and it is at hwy 118 and hwy 11 - Street View

That is the only one that is technically on the 118. As I said there are no others on that highway and this accident is some 10 km further out the 118 than the highway 11 cross over. The problem with the u-turn intersection of this accident is the popularity of the market at this location. It was noted in 2008 that there were major issues with safety as the spill over from food stalls and cars parking out into the highway was causing accidents then. This area is not Mueang Chiang Mai but the Amphur or District of San Sai. People were wanting that market relocated then for safety concerns but money talks and BS walks and this is what happens all to often. BTW this will not be the last death for that intersection unfortunately.

Befor some body jumps on me there is one more at what I call the 1st ring road or the 3029 and the 118 from that point I can not think of any unit you get to highway 1.

That's a pretty good stretch of road- over 150km, if I recall correctly.

I know I have & always squint thinking how dangerous it is & how these types also cut-off those waiting to U turn visibility by blocking their line of sight

I always thought that was one of the dumbest ideas and I hate them and will sometimes go out of my way to not have to use it. That is the dual direction u-turn spots. Offsetting them by 50 meters would be a huge improvement at those spots.

Saw an accident a few months ago at the 1st u-turn coming from BigC to go back to Hang Dong road. Queues in both directions for u-turns making it a blind spot so cars slowly creep out to try and see what is coming. One pickup did such but he accelerated fast and got hit hard by a fast moving oncoming car. They have since put up a CCTV camera at that spot. Guess it happens often.

U turns on major highways are dangerous. But they're cheap. That's why they have them here.

True but I think for this place they are better off just closing them with those concrete walls.

On most of these highways there is always another underpass/exit over section not far off & therein lies a safer/proper U turn lane with large breaks in traffic due to the stop light usually near it

I know folks would complain but overall just seems safer

Not a single underpass on this road. It is not one of the ringroads

Edit- Sorry Kwaibah already mentioned this

Edited by Throatwobbler

Reading all this input About this accident, i hear nobody About THE steel bar or frame in front of THE car. These steel frames are forbidden in Europe. And THE reason is simpel, when there is an accident iT Will kill you. I dont say this biker wouldnt be dead but if you see THE impact into this steel bar Then in my eyes this is 90% THE reason that this biker is dead now.

If that metal bar wasnt there Then THE construction of THE car could absorb THE impact.

Now iT is if you drive agains a wall.

Yes iT is maybe stupid to cross over like that or to make. U turn, however iT is also THE fault of bikers Driving as idiots. Sample today i drove away as first car from Traffic lights at th promenade and drove 80 km an hour and what is passing me faster yes an biker, and iT was an farang ?

Crazy people on these roads. But police is doing Nothing so Whom to blame.?

Yes i didnt see that one so i agree with you. Bullbars are Killers so if you got one on your truck, Then think About this accident and remove it

That bar is nothing more than a show piece. Its a peace of junk. Next time your about take a close look at the construction and instalation. These units will crumple on imoact.

These bull bars are from steel not from plastic look at THE picture of THE impact not agree with you.

There from rolled tubing and chrome plated. There junk and worthless. But i guess i dont know what Im talking about as I have the same truck and year. I got suckered and gave mine to the recycle man after it totaly failed then went with ARB kit.

Some drivers of these big trucks think they are driving Tanks,instead of moving

in the slip road to turn,they stay on the outside lane,too lazy or stupid to turn

the wheel,even with power steering,then if they are not looking somebody comes

up on the inside (the correct lane),thats how accidents happen.

Its the same when they turn at junctions,if your in the front at the lights,they nearly

take your front end off,as they take the shortest distance,instead of making the

turn in a proper manner.they just don't want to turn the steering wheel.

regards Worgeordie

Some drivers of these big trucks think they are driving Tanks,instead of moving

in the slip road to turn,they stay on the outside lane,too lazy or stupid to turn

the wheel,even with power steering,then if they are not looking somebody comes

up on the inside (the correct lane),thats how accidents happen.

Its the same when they turn at junctions,if your in the front at the lights,they nearly

take your front end off,as they take the shortest distance,instead of making the

regards Worgeordie

A bit like this you mean??

All over the world, shit like this happens, and the reasons that drivers simply" do not see a motorcycle "are vast and varied.....

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/07/21/09/55/motorcyclist-jumps-for-his-life-as-truck-steamrolls-his-ducati

Edited by andreandre

I know I have & always squint thinking how dangerous it is & how these types also cut-off those waiting to U turn visibility by blocking their line of sight

I always thought that was one of the dumbest ideas and I hate them and will sometimes go out of my way to not have to use it. That is the dual direction u-turn spots. Offsetting them by 50 meters would be a huge improvement at those spots.

100% agree with this. Really wish the authorities would make it a priority to get rid of these things. Not only is it dangerous for the person making the u-turn because he can't see oncoming traffic, but the person just coming down the road that the u-turn guy can't see. I've noticed on some roads that they've just sealed off several u-turns altogether, which helps.

The best solution is to have big wide center lanes and no median barriers so cars can just go to make right turns, u-turns not required. Like San Kampang road going towards Hot Springs...except that one is just a tad too narrow. But the right idea.

The best solution is to have big wide center lanes and no median barriers so cars can just go to make right turns, u-turns not required. Like San Kampang road going towards Hot Springs...except that one is just a tad too narrow. But the right idea.

Bad idea! The median barrier stops head on collisions & people turning right or crossing everywhere. The 1317 is an accident waiting to happen. Single lane underpasses would be cheap to construct. Roundabouts the easiest solution.

When you move to CM and drive, you MUST realize an accident could happen 10000000x easier than in USA (and likely elsewhere).

Saving money is good, but not when you are in the hospital and in danger every day...

and can you still drink in Thailand while driving, just not be drunk???

and people bring their kids here to play in the roads??

Roundabouts! Might take a few generations to work it out though

There are a couple of roundabouts in Chiang Mai,and they are

nearly as dangerous as U-turns,as no one has any idea how to

proceed.

regards Worgeordie

worgeordie - do you happen to know the correct Thai way of driving through a roundabout?

proceed.

regards Worgeordie

proceed.

regards Worgeordie

Proceed with caution.

Roundabouts are so easy if only the powers at be decided to educate their people. Hell even put some community service announcements on the TV. Give way or yield to anyone already on the roundabout on your right

Another words if you pull into the roundabout and they are likely to hit the drivers door then dont proceed.

Or is that too simple?

Ok lets make it complicated....then they might understand.

Roundabouts are so easy if only the powers at be decided to educate their people. Hell even put some community service announcements on the TV. Give way or yield to anyone already on the roundabout on your right

Another words if you pull into the roundabout and they are likely to hit the drivers door then dont proceed.

Or is that too simple?

Ok lets make it complicated....then they might understand.

Roundabouts are far to cheap to build. Better to build underpasses & flyovers. More kickbacks....

Edited by MESmith

Bad idea! The median barrier stops head on collisions & people turning right or crossing everywhere. The 1317 is an accident waiting to happen. Single lane underpasses would be cheap to construct. Roundabouts the easiest solution.

But you forget; Thais don't know how to use a roundabout.

They think its a funfair and invite everyone on to it; being too scared to exit it.

multiple traffic delays will occur all because they think its the right thing to do...........and equally dangerous for us who know that Thai law. like ours says "right of way to those on the roundabout"