Suggestions for a light-usage Cappuccino machine

simon43

I want to offer my guesthouse customers hot Cappuccino, Latte, Expresso, Mocha etc.

Daily usage would be low, perhaps half a dozen or dozen cups a day. (You can see that I am not expecting this to be a revenue-generator; it is purely part of the beverages that a guest might expect to buy here - I already offer a range of iced teas and coffees).

There is a huge selection of coffee machines available, some at prices similar to buying a small car!

I need a machine that is simple and quick to use, versatile, can froth milk, and can pay it's own way.

The simplest type seem to be those machines that use cartridges or pods, but can these also froth milk?

I need some advice!

Edited by simon43

I have one of those cartridge type machines, no they don't froth milk but the cappuccinos come out like they should, since the coffee your going to be offering is free there ideal and machines inexpensive but the pods no so still there hassel free easy to use and low cost to start up.

The cartridge ones don't froth the milk but you can get a separate 'milk frothing jug' which looks like a kettle. You can also microwave the milk and then use a small whisk like device to froth it.

I have a Dolce Gusto which is ok but the capsules are 100% more expensive here than they are in the UK - it's about 1000 Baht for 48 capsules. Sometimes I use 2 capsules for a large mug of coffee. Tasty but not so cheap if you're just giving it to guests.

since the coffee your going to be offering is free

I should have said that I don't expect it to be a profit-generator.

The customer will still have to pay for the drinks, but if I can break even on the sale, then I'm OK by that.

I used to have a pod machine that also had a milk frothing facility. That was maybe 10 years ago and indeed the pods were a little pricey. Hopefully, the choice of machines and options is better now.

I have a Gaggia Baby Twin bought it almost 7 years ago and still going strong with daily usage - I'd expect it to stand up to the usage you suggest - in fact I have seen them in use at busy coffee shops on the BTS concourses.

It's dual pump so it froths milk and makes excellent coffee - downside is that it is not fully automatic, the user has to know how to use it and maintain it (this is really just a case of knowing how to use it properly and running cleaning fluid through it every few months)

If your staff will be the ones actually making the coffee, I'd say it's a suitable reasonably priced quality solution - about 20k baht in Thailand. You'd also need a grinder, I have a Gaggia MDF the same age, probably another 7.5k here.

For reference, these are the steps:

- Turn coffee machine on to warm up

- Milk into jug, milk thermometer into milk

- Grind beans for about 25 seconds

- Beans in to coffee filter and tamped down

- By this time the machine will be warm, open steam wand to purge water from wand, close and then open again to trigger steam
- Steam the milk, making sure you place the wand to make froth well, watch the temp
- Put milk aside, purge water from wand again (important, not doing this will leave pressure in the pump and will over time break the pump)

- Portafilter in to machine, espresso shot glasses (or cup) under it, make coffee (should take about 27 seconds to be just right)

- Milk in, draw a little picture of a fern (optional), chocolate sprinkled on top,
- Empty portafilter, turn machine off, wash up

Quite a few steps but they become second nature and become a 3 minute job, and an automatic machine is going to cost a lot more..

The pods are nice, and obviously much simpler, but at a much higher ongoing cost - and they don't taste as good, and you're limited to pre made capsules instead of being able to select beans.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

A simple, easy to use machine with top quality coffee is from Nespresso. Granted, it is more expensive that Dolce Gusto but makes so much better coffee. And they deliver the machines and capsules to your door.

I use the De Longhi machine and the coffee as well as the cappuccino is as easy as 1-2-3 to make.

I have a Gaggia Baby Twin bought it almost 7 years ago and still going strong with daily usage - I'd expect it to stand up to the usage you suggest - in fact I have seen them in use at busy coffee shops on the BTS concourses.

It's dual pump so it froths milk and makes excellent coffee - downside is that it is not fully automatic, the user has to know how to use it and maintain it (this is really just a case of knowing how to use it properly and running cleaning fluid through it every few months)

If your staff will be the ones actually making the coffee, I'd say it's a suitable reasonably priced quality solution - about 20k baht in Thailand. You'd also need a grinder, I have a Gaggia MDF the same age, probably another 7.5k here.

For reference, these are the steps:

- Turn coffee machine on to warm up

- Milk into jug, milk thermometer into milk

- Grind beans for about 25 seconds

- Beans in to coffee filter and tamped down

- By this time the machine will be warm, open steam wand to purge water from wand, close and then open again to trigger steam

- Steam the milk, making sure you place the wand to make froth well, watch the temp

- Put milk aside, purge water from wand again (important, not doing this will leave pressure in the pump and will over time break the pump)

- Portafilter in to machine, espresso shot glasses (or cup) under it, make coffee (should take about 27 seconds to be just right)

- Milk in, draw a little picture of a fern (optional), chocolate sprinkled on top,

- Empty portafilter, turn machine off, wash up

Quite a few steps but they become second nature and become a 3 minute job, and an automatic machine is going to cost a lot more..

The pods are nice, and obviously much simpler, but at a much higher ongoing cost - and they don't taste as good, and you're limited to pre made capsules instead of being able to select beans.

Nice post.

I've got a nespresso pod machine. I use it most days though lately I find the taste a little boring.

Think I'll upgrade to a gaggia set up similar to yours

I have a Saeco Royale automatic, been using it for 11 years now. Bought it at BonCafe and they service it when needed, about once a year to descale. Had bean grinder and two tanks so can froth milk very readily. Makes superb coffee, all automatic, just push the button for size of cup desired. Just about every function and step can be adjusted by internal computer, but rarely need to do any fiddling around.

• 11 months later...

If you want to use an automatic machine, I would recommend Nespresso, the quality of the coffee is superb and the machines are really good. My favourite, and easiest model to use is the Latissima. It is very practical, but you have to use their coffee pods and nothing else, so you are stuck to one brand. Make sure any machine you get has at least 9 bars of pressure, which ensures a good quality of coffee. Most decent brands will have at least 15 bars. In the manuals, I advise 'Gaggia', they are really reliable. 'DeLonghi' is also very good.Also you can read this reviews Never buy a 'KitchenAid' they are huge, too heavy, break all the time and are terribly expensive. We used to get lots of those returned or sent to be fixed all the time. I hope this helped .

I would believe that when it comes to ease of use it's hard to beat the Nespresso system.

Pop a capsule, put the cup under the spout, push the button for cappuccino. That's all.

Price is a different issue but since it's not for making money ...